Rye with no lime

nchunter1989

5 year old buck +
Hi guys,

I've posted earlier in the summer about my soil test results on the 90ac I manage. we have 2 plots going in, 1.5 ac & .75 ac known as N1 & S1 respectively. Ph on N1 was 4.5, Ph on S1 was 4.7.

Going to plant WR & either WW or oats. maybe a few pounds of peas or turnips for the heck of it. land owner is dragging his feet on getting the lime out- should I still plant the WR for the long term OM & soil benefits & just try to get the lime in next year?

Get the rye down, save the rest of the seeds for next year, make sure you store the seed properly and check the germination before you plant next year. Get the lime on when you can, last year would have been best. ;)

Winter Rye, it will grow on damp concrete. The others not so much.

yeah that was my thoughts. now if i let that go through next spring,depending on how it germinates, could I build my OM & not worry about the lime? or will i still need lime 3-4 yrs from now just due to the acidic nature of the soil?

You still need to get the Ph up so lime as soon as you can. Ph and organic matter are 2 different things.

The rye will probably come up but with that low of a PH, I don't think it will do very well and I have my doubts it will contain much nutritional value. Rye will grow in lower PH's but I wouldn't put much stock in 4.5 and 4.7. NC, you are going to need about 3 tons of lime per acre to get that PH up. Don't expect much with that PH! I wouldn't plant anything, I would instead get my lime down now and make plans for next year. There are two things that will cause food plots to fail, one is covering seed too deep and two is low PH.

Last edited:
Rye may not grow the best, but it will grow and add organic matter. Rye is cheap, I'd still plant it. It will also keep the weeds at bay come spring as it sprouts at 40 degrees.

Plant the rye. I've had rye grow in phs in the 3s with hardly any nutrients. What was the p & k values of the soil test?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winter Rye, it will grow on damp concrete. The others not so much.

I have had it grow in my pick-up bed ... with the shell on ... :)

Plant the rye. I've had rye grow in phs in the 3s with hardly any nutrients. What was the p & k values of the soil test?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm guessing that would be the P-I & K-I? 24 & 8 for N1, 109 & 9 for S1.

It takes many years to raise the OM a small number on your soil. Does not happen in a couple of years.

It takes many years to raise the OM a small number on your soil. Does not happen in a couple of years.

yes im looking long term on this. goal is to buy this property if i can work it out.

Well, forecast is calling for rain Today-Sunday..Went out to the farm with the ATV & spike drag. Got a good burn down from where I sprayed 2 weeks ago & This old drag actually did a good job on the 1st inch or 2 of soil,which it being sandy loam helped too. Spread 200lbs of abruzzi by hand & packed it with a chainlink drag & atv tires. Hoping the rain will push the seeds in before the crows & turkeys find them.

See what what happens, planning to pickup an ATV spreader & come back out in a couple weeks to hang another stand,may overseed another 50-100lbs then depending on the germination I have.....

No lime. Ph is 4.0
Soil map list it as "muck" in the middle of a swamp. I had a doe and a fawn in it last night. Its 5 yards by 5 yards.

I planted this on memorable day. We trailered in a couple hundred lbs of dirt to raise it up a hair in the water table. It is too wet to plant some years. Tossed seed by hand then walked on it to pack. 4 inches of rain in 2 weeks. Instant plot.

20160920_172020.jpg

That is great, I'm surprised 5 yards by 5 yards gets enough light to grow, but it obviously it does.

Rye grows everywhere. Just plant it at forget it.

Here are my WR plots. image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 12
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 12
was this disced, throw& mow or just broadcast?

Hi guys,

I've posted earlier in the summer about my soil test results on the 90ac I manage. we have 2 plots going in, 1.5 ac & .75 ac known as N1 & S1 respectively. Ph on N1 was 4.5, Ph on S1 was 4.7.

Going to plant WR & either WW or oats. maybe a few pounds of peas or turnips for the heck of it. land owner is dragging his feet on getting the lime out- should I still plant the WR for the long term OM & soil benefits & just try to get the lime in next year?
What kind of soil are you in? Sand, clay, or loam?

Sandy loam.