1st plot..Have a 1/2 acre limed and ready..what to plant

Got the "bonus" half acre mowed down to 4", sprayed and limed today. I'll check on it and respray/drag it in another 2 weeks and I'll be ready to plant on 9/1. Hopefully we get some rain soon as we only got a little bit the night after I planted the Brassicas...

Visited plot to spray and noticed my Brassicas are about 4" high but all turning yellow and some appear to be dying/limp laying down flat. Last week they looked about same height but green and happy..We've had a lot of rain fall in the last week. I know they say to hit them with 46-0-0 a month after planting but I still have another 1 week to go(I planted them 7/24).
Should I go ahead and spread the Urea now or wait? We are forecasted for Thunderstorms all week..

Don't worry about the 4 week mark, hit them now if you have rain in the forecast. Urea is probably the most volatile form of nitrogen fertilizer, so spreading within 24 hours of rain is ideal. It is for this reason I disc mine in when planting, but not doable for TnM obviously..

Ammonium Sulfate 21-0-0-24 (S) is much less volatile, and can be left on dry ground for a longer period while you wait for rain. But you'll have to use twice as much fertilizer weight to get the same amount of N. It does have sulfur as the last digit suggests, if you are deficient..

Do I need to wait for the plants to dry from the rain we had this morning?

Do I need to wait for the plants to dry from the rain we had this morning?

Yes, you'll get leaf burn if you apply to wet plants.

Hopefully it lets up tomorrow enough to let the leaves dry. I was going to apply 50# of 46-0-0 for the.25acre(200# per acre) Should I just put half now and the other half later?
4b1ccb28513aa01b3f6fde605597ccc8.jpg

These pics were taken tonight.
ae37a1d4d44fbd93efd81647cc3baac6.jpg

d1a817816fc75df1b88a350fdd5a8821.jpg

This was last week. We have gotten a couple inches of rain since then.

So that is what rain does to seed? Whodathunk?

I planted on July 27th, and some are about 1/2” tall. I also applied the recommended fertilizer during planting, but it took 2 days before we got a 1/4” of rain.
This plot maybe a wash. But I can still plant winter rye, winter wheat, and oats.

That’s my plan as well. I applied 50# of 19-19-19 with them when I planted and plan on dropping another 50# of 46-0-0 as soon as I get enough sun to dry the plants. If they don’t begin to look healthier by Labor Day, I’ll probably just spray them and plant cereal mix in all of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s my plan as well. I applied 50# of 19-19-19 with them when I planted and plan on dropping another 50# of 46-0-0 as soon as I get enough sun to dry the plants. If they don’t begin to look healthier by Labor Day, I’ll probably just spray them and plant cereal mix in all of it.
I would t spray them, just plant your cereal mix in it.

The rain stopped this morning and the plants dried out enough for me to broadcast 50# of urea. About an hour after I finished we got another downpour. Hopefully they perk back up.

If they don’t bounce back....do you think I should drag harrow them first and plant my oats/peas/rye mix like I plan to do with the rest....or can I just overseed them and run them over with a roller??

No problem for the Oats and Peas?

Not if you get decent rain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly those look pretty decent for 3 week old plants. Let the fertilizer go to work. Yo will be floored what they will look like in another 3 weeks.

Hopefully they recover...The bare soil to the right of the Brassicas I resprayed last Saturday..Could I just broadcast my Oat/Pea mix on it without dragging it first?

Honestly those look pretty decent for 3 week old plants. Let the fertilizer go to work. Yo will be floored what they will look like in another 3 weeks.

I sure hope so. The rain isn’t supposed to quit until this weekend..

Driven - Agree with everything ST Fanatic says. Patience grasshopper..