1st plot..Have a 1/2 acre limed and ready..what to plant

Went over and checked it yesterday and anywhere there was standing water the brassicas are dead. The areas surrounding those plants are no longer yellow but have definitely stopped growing.
I would guesstimate that 1/2 my plot is surviving. I'm getting ready to plant the areas left and right of this plot and will obviously overseed the openings and thin areas with Rye.
What else can I over-seed those openings with besides Rye? I plan on planting a lot of Rye in another adjacent (un-limed) area and wondered if I could overseed the remaining Brassicas with Oats instead of Rye?

I bet you have time to plant brassica again if you want to go that direction.

Winter wheat, oats, peas, lentils would all be good options.

I would be worried we would get a lot more rain and have a repeat.. The ones that have greened back up are only about 4-5" tall. I have a lot of the Brassica & Radish seed left though..and I can always over-see with Rye later if they don't come in....

Are you getting that much rain or is the soil poorly drained?

We just got a lot of scattered thundershowers over there and seemed almost every day one hit it hard off and on for a week straight. What I think happened was the leaves laid on the ground and were torched by the intense sun that came out in between these showers. I do know that the areas that were slightly higher have greened back up but even they seem to be still only 4-5" at most with the majority averaging in the 2-3" range like the looked in my pictures. What if I fill in the holes with just Radish? I'm thinking that might grow quicker and catch up to the rest better than Brassica mix..

I believe radish only needs about 45 days before the first frost.

I planted a small amount of Radish with the Brassicas that are failing now... but as said have plenty more Radish seed and wouldn't take me long to over-seed the bare areas.
Do you think Purple Top Turnips would have long enough to grow? I have some of that seed as well? The area gets full sunlight morning to dusk, so as long as they get a break between downpours they would have maximum growth..

Turnips and radish are about the same time frame for growth---I'd throw both in there.

What about clover? Is that something that would grow quickly enough to be edible by October?

This years clover is for next year and you need to get it in early enough that it starts to get established.

The second year is usually when clover really comes on strong.

I'll just go with a 50/50 blend of turnips/radishes then. It's supposed to rain Monday so I'll broadcast them on Sunday afternoon.
I'll know by mid Sept, if they're going to thrive or fail and can fill in with Rye if need be to utilize for late season.

On a side note...does the T & M method work well with Oats?
I'm contemplating planting Rye (and possibly OATS) in the corner of Bean field I sit over (which gets harvested early in the season). I can get a backpack sprayer /weed-whacker in there and hand tools in there. That's about it...

Oats are a great draw for deer. T & M works well if you get enough thatch covering the seed(birds like the seeds a lot). Oats will freeze out but will draw deer until they are gone.

Thanks. I seen this while I was spraying the area in question. I was thinking of doing a Rye/Oats mix, but after hearing this, I’m thinking of just running straight oats there as it’s only 3500 sq ft and we only hunt until mid November there. The Oats will be much better competition with the beans after they turn yellow.

When and how much. should I broadcast?Fertilizer? Mow? Lawn Roll?
I assume I should use a much heavier seed rate than Normal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. I seen this while I was spraying the area in question. I was thinking of doing a Rye/Oats mix, but after hearing this, I’m thinking of just running straight oats there as it’s only 3500 sq ft and we only hunt until mid November there. The Oats will be much better competition with the beans after they turn yellow.

When and how much. should I broadcast?Fertilizer? Mow? Lawn Roll?
I assume I should use a much heavier seed rate than Normal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I broadcast oats this year and have had good germination. But I've also had 5-8" of rain in the last 3 weeks, so I've been pretty fortunate.

Oats are a great draw for deer. T & M works well if you get enough thatch covering the seed(birds like the seeds a lot). Oats will freeze out but will draw deer until they are gone.
The weeds are waist to chest high back there so I will have to use my DR Trimmer(large weed whacker), but that is about the only thing I can get in there. It cuts the weeds off full length so I imagine it will be a LOT of thatch covering. There is a fallen tree there so the farmer has to go around it when drill planting the beans but his fertilizer sprayer arms cover the area. It also gets full sunlight like the crops so I would think it would grow as well as the beans there... I have no way to get a lawn roller in there that I can think of...Do you think Oat seed would have enough seed to soil contact to germinate without packing them down with a roller?

I broadcast oats this year and have had good germination. But I've also had 5-8" of rain in the last 3 weeks, so I've been pretty fortunate.
Did you mow , pack or use fertilizer? We have rain coming this week so I plan to broadcast everything Sunday.

Did you mow , pack or use fertilizer? We have rain coming this week so I plan to broadcast everything Sunday.
Just broadcast. Weedwhacked the weeds/buckwheat, and sprayed. Just put down fertilizer on it last weekend, about two weeks after broadcast. It's spotty in places. I plan on following up with Rye/Wheat this weekend.

I don't have a roller. Working on a homemade cultipacker currently.

This is peas/oats. The green you see is mostly the oats. I'm hoping it comes up better in the brown areas but that's also what the rye/wheat help fill in. I had rye/brassica here last year, all broadcast and I have very poor soil. It all filled in pretty good.

peas and oats 3.jpgpeas and oats 2.jpg

The weeds are waist to chest high back there so I will have to use my DR Trimmer(large weed whacker), but that is about the only thing I can get in there. It cuts the weeds off full length so I imagine it will be a LOT of thatch covering. There is a fallen tree there so the farmer has to go around it when drill planting the beans but his fertilizer sprayer arms cover the area. It also gets full sunlight like the crops so I would think it would grow as well as the beans there... I have no way to get a lawn roller in there that I can think of...Do you think Oat seed would have enough seed to soil contact to germinate without packing them down with a roller?
Short answer: YES