1st plot..Have a 1/2 acre limed and ready..what to plant

Just broadcast. Weedwhacked the weeds/buckwheat, and sprayed. Just put down fertilizer on it last weekend, about two weeks after broadcast. It's spotty in places. I plan on following up with Rye/Wheat this weekend.

I don't have a roller. Working on a homemade cultipacker currently.

This is peas/oats. The green you see is mostly the oats. I'm hoping it comes up better in the brown areas but that's also what the rye/wheat help fill in. I had rye/brassica here last year, all broadcast and I have very poor soil. It all filled in pretty good.

View attachment 36604View attachment 36605
I have a bag of peas also..maybe I'll throw some of that along my leftover clover blend in with the oats. I would think all of those ingredients(IF they grow) would compete with the beans/corn in early season.

I sprayed already with Gly yesterday. How long should I wait to broadcast the seed and then mow?
I have never sprayed my plots so I wouldn't know for sure.

When it's new ground being turned into a plot I disc. Maybe 2 or 3 times over a couple of months and then plant RYE to help keep the weeds at bay. Rye with clover and chicory. Mow the plots from time to time and haven't had any problems growing what is planted. A few weeds don't make any difference to the deer. After having rye growing for one year the ground works up a lot easier. In the spring I usually take the disc and rough up the clover and chicory and that helps set any weeds back while the clover and chicory seem to be stimulated by abuse. It works

Well I got all of my cereal plots planted in addition to filling in the holes in my Brassica plot with 50/50 mix of Radish/Turnips as suggested. Immediately after we finished cleaning up it down-poured for about 1/2hour for about an inch of rainfall..(Why I chose to plant them this weekend instead of next as originally planned). So that was timed about perfect. I also did an experimental micro-plot in the corner of the bean field I've mentioned with my leftover Oats and a bag of Perennial clover mix I bought. My expectations are low as we only sprayed, mowed, raked, sprayed again then planted the oats/clover right before a downpour. I bumped up the seed rate and fertilizer about 25% so we'll see if just raking it along with nicely timed rain is enough to get some of it to germinate. If not I will still be ahead of the game because the weeds are gone and can always throw Rye in there right before the season if it fails.

FWIW my Brassicas are no longer yellow and look a lot healthier, but the bare & thin spots where they died or didn't come in have begun to fill in with grasses, I will probably buy some arrest max and spray the plot if they don't start winning the war in there..pGrk954bSSu37IDtYwITVg.jpg

Your brassica will out pace the grasses. I wouldn’t spend the time or money spraying but that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do they look like they should for 4 weeks old? Seems like they are crowded in some areas and thin in others..my 1st time using the seeder..lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think they look fine. Not saying spraying wouldn't help or some extra fertilizer for that matter. I just don't worry that much about it after they are at the stage your plot is. They will keep filling out and that plot will be pretty thick by the end of September.

Hope so...

If your worried about it, spray it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I filled in the thin spots with radishes/turnips. The grasses have a head start on them so I guess I don’t know if I should or shouldn’t try to control the grasses or let em ride.

I’d spray it. Cleth will clean that right up from the looks of it. It’s way cheaper to buy a gallon of generic cleth than Arrest Max. Make sure you get some crop oil to mix it with too, makes all the difference in my experience.

Thanks. I’ll pick some up and hit it this weekend.