Native Hunter Apples 2023

This is a tree called Freedom that is highly touted as a disease resistant apple. My tree is young and just started bearing fruit last year. So far my experience had not been great, but sometimes it takes a few years for a tree to hit its stride. This year I started out with about a dozen apples but most have fallen prematurely. Fruit is very large. I think this cultivar will be good given time. Ask me in a couple of years.
View attachment 55431

Since I got some good pics of Yates yesterday, I will go ahead and post those. You guys hear me talk about this tree a lot. It is perhaps the best deer apple where I live. It is highly DR, and is generally loaded with small to medium sized, sweet fruit that drops into mid November or later. Very reliable.

View attachment 55432

View attachment 55433

Is Yates good for human consumption? I bench grafted one that’s looking good, going in the ground this fall and I’m trying to decide where to put it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is Yates good for human consumption? I bench grafted one that’s looking good, going in the ground this fall and I’m trying to decide where to put it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, the taste is really good.. But it’s a small apple so you might not like that aspect for eating.

For a long time my Golden Hornets seemed to hang all winter and not drop, but today I noticed a few on this more mature tree are falling. I hope that this continues. I have 3 of these and they are loaded every year.

IMG_4709.jpeg
IMG_4791.jpeg

For a long time my Golden Hornets seemed to hang all winter and not drop, but today I noticed a few on this more mature tree are falling. I hope that this continues. I have 3 of these and they are loaded every year.

View attachment 68638
View attachment 68639
Any issue with Cedar Apple Rust ? . I wanted to plant one , but read they are susceptible.

Any issue with Cedar Apple Rust ? . I wanted to plant one , but read they are susceptible.
I would say very light but not enough to concern me. If these start falling slowly through the season, I can be happy with this cultivar. Mine came from Waffler on MM111 a few years ago.

I would say very light but not enough to concern me. If these start falling slowly through the season, I can be happy with this cultivar. Mine came from Waffler on MM111 a few years ago.
I wish I would have asked you sooner before I placed a order for trees this week.

I ordered a 2 -3 foot New for 2025 Feather up Crab from Whitetail Crabs. I'm debating on calling up and having him switch it for a Golden Hornet. Just because The Golden Hornets fruits a little bigger at 1 to 1.5-inch vs 3/4 of a inch. The Feather up is already sold out in the 2-3 foot size.

Feather Up.jpg

Feather-Up™ Siberian Crabapple​

from $16.95

Feather-Up™ crabapple was selected from our Siberian crab trials for exhibiting very uniform, almost 90°, very close limb feathering from the ground up in both the nursery and field trials. This allows for more of a trim-free wildlife planting. It produces a tall, mid-sized upright tree with very dense cropping of 3/4" diameter crabs. Its crabs have shown to drop from late October through January. The tree has very good disease resistance, including complete Fireblight resistance.

Last edited: