Native Hunter Apples 2023

I have what was sold to me as an Old Fashioned Winesap at the farm that has been a really good tree. I normally leave all of these apples for the deer, but this year they looked so good I brought home a few gallons. I will turn these into chips.

IMG_4516.jpeg

Last edited:
Priscilla is right on time. This is my second time picking this tree this year and there will be one more picking in a few days.

IMG_4552.jpeg

Is everyone having a good year for apples, crabs & pears?? Guys who live near our camp say the crop is really good this year. Last year - late frost put the clinkers to 'em.

Is everyone having a good year for apples, crabs & pears?? Guys who live near our camp say the crop is really good this year. Last year - late frost put the clinkers to 'em.
We are having a great year in my area!

We are having a great year in my area!
Excellent year for fruit and acorns so far anyway only ever about two weeks away from a drought that can cause fruit or acorn losses.

My remaining old trees all put on fruit this year. I pruned 2 very hard like a dozen to 15 screwdriver handle sized whips n competing leaders ontop of the usual prune. 2 trees are half young and half close to death branches. The close to death ones have apples and newer shoots are bare.

Last year I set a waist high Atago Pear tree and was surprised this spring to see that it had set fruit. I pulled all off except 2 pears, which grew well. Today they looked ripe so I tried one. The taste and crispiness blew me away. And when have you seen any fruit look so good without spraying.....

IMG_4568.jpeg

Last edited:
^ ^ ^ ^ WOW. Spotless!! Never heard of Atago pear. How's the tree itself for any disease problems?

Great fruit year for me probably best in 10 years, red oak acorns also plentiful but small percentage of white oak trees with acorns.

^ ^ ^ ^ WOW. Spotless!! Never heard of Atago pear. How's the tree itself for any disease problems?

It's too early for me personally to say for certain about disease because mine was just planted last year. However, it has a good reputation, and I expect it to be just fine. I saw no FB this year on the tree, and the leaves are spotless. This pear reminds me of Olympic Giant, but they say that Atago fruit will get even bigger.

Last edited:
Asian pears are cool! Our family loves the taste of them, it's definitely worth putting a few in to try.

This pear is Moonglow. You can see the red blush starting to form on the fruit exposed to the sun. This blush increases as they ripen. The fruit would remind you of Kieffer and the drop time is close to Kieffer but a bit earlier. DR is bulletproof.

IMG_4584.jpeg
IMG_4585.jpeg
IMG_4586.jpeg

IMG_2381.jpeg

Moonglo covered up with fireblight this year. Going to replace with something else this winter

We're having a really good fruit and red oak crop this year. Haven't checked the whites and swo's yet.

What are you guys doing with all of your "home" apples for storage and/or processing?