Native Hunter Apples 2023

Thanks. There is an old southern apple that used to be widely grown which was known as "Horse" and/or "Hoss." My apple fits the description for that apple, but I don't know anyone around here that grows Horse so that I can compare. It could be that apple or possibly a seedling from that apple, but I will probably never know. I'm just glad to have another good clean bearing apple coming into production.
Remember reading about the Horse apple awhile back but this nursery which caters to heritage apples has it listed as being yellow and would guess a fairly soft flesh.
Screenshot_20240709-175839.png

Remember reading about the Horse apple awhile back but this nursery which caters to heritage apples has it listed as being yellow and would guess a fairly soft flesh.
View attachment 66108
I’m going to be watching my apple closer this time. I don’t remember the apples on the mother tree getting that yellow, but maybe they just picked them a little early.

This will be my first significant crop of Olympic Giant pears. I planted this tree about 5 years ago and it has put most of its energy into growing wood until this year.

IMG_4408.jpeg
IMG_4409.jpeg
IMG_4412.jpeg
IMG_4411.jpeg

Native,

What would you charge to come to my place and wave your hand over a few trees?

bill

Native,

What would you charge to come to my place and wave your hand over a few trees?

bill
Bill, if you had a rain making machine it might help more than my waving hand!

This is what’s left of what was my tallest pear tree. A storm took the top out this spring but I still have an enormous crop. This is Ayers, and it’s ripening now.
IMG_4419.jpeg
IMG_4417.jpeg
IMG_4418.jpeg

Are all of your trees in an orchard setting? Or spread out throughout your property?
About 1/3 of them are in an orchard setting where I live, and the other 2/3 are scattered around on my farm where I hunt. Everything I grow is no spray.

Let us know how the Olympic and Ayers taste, Native!
I can already tell you about Ayers, because I have grown that variety for a long time. The taste is super sweet. In fact, another name for Ayers is "Sugar Pear." The sweet smell in hot weather draws the hornet quickly, so once they start ripening It's best to pick them fairly soon. It is an excellent DR summer pear. I've never seen a single limb with FB, and the leaves and fruit are generally spotless.

I can already tell you about Ayers, because I have grown that variety for a long time. The taste is super sweet. In fact, another name for Ayers is "Sugar Pear." The sweet smell in hot weather draws the hornet quickly, so once they start ripening It's best to pick them fairly soon. It is an excellent DR summer pear. I've never seen a single limb with FB, and the leaves and fruit are generally spotless.
Nice! Pears grow well at my place. Hoping the Ayers will too.

This year is my first significant crop of Becton Pears. So far I can’t tell any difference between the look of Becton and Kieffer. I will try to watch the drop times. Beaton is supposed to be a little later.

IMG_4430.jpeg
IMG_4426.jpeg
IMG_4427.jpeg
IMG_4425.jpeg

I’ve had Galloway Pears before but don’t think I’ve ever posted pics of them. They are an Asian pear that resembles Olympic, but they are smaller. I have a big crop of them this year.

IMG_4444.jpeg
IMG_4443.jpeg
IMG_4439.jpeg

This is an apple I’ve never posted before. I bought it as a late red apple but I think there was a mixup at the nursery. I now believe this tree to be a Northwest Greening. The apples on this tree are one of my favorites for drying. The tree is highly DR with zero FB over the years and very little leaf spotting. Apples are quite large (around 3.5 inches) and very clean.

IMG_4473.jpeg
IMG_4472.jpeg

I’ve had Galloway Pears before but don’t think I’ve ever posted pics of them. They are an Asian pear that resembles Olympic, but they are smaller. I have a big crop of them this year.

View attachment 66561
View attachment 66562
View attachment 66563
I wish we could grow more pears at camp - but the bears are too much problem. We have 2 Kieffers and 1 "Morse hybrid" - which makes pears that look like these of yours. I just hope our 3 pears will outlast bear attacks. Yours look super.

Do those Galloway pears get softer & juicy when they're ripe, like a Barlett?? Always wondered what Olympics are like too, for eating and deer.

Do those Galloway pears get softer & juicy when they're ripe, like a Barlett?? Always wondered what Olympics are like too, for eating and deer.
Yes, they are a good pear, but I like Olympic better. Good flavor on both.

I have two more pears for you. The first is Bartlett. When I started planting pears, I made the decision to stay away from Bartlett because of its reputation of being susceptible to fireblight. However, a few years ago when I bought some Kieffers, they sent one Bartlett by mistake.

That turned out to be an okay mistake. The tree is now mature and has never shown even a hint of fireblight. It is loaded this year and a few are beginning to ripen.

IMG_4490.jpeg
IMG_4491.jpeg

This next pear is Senator Clark. I have two of these and love them. Both have light crops this year, but they were loaded last year and the year before. Pears are big - some right at 4 inches.

IMG_4485.jpeg
IMG_4486.jpeg
IMG_4492.jpeg

Mine produced last year, one of my favorite fruits.

Since they are round like apples, they should be easy to run through my tool that slices, peels and cores. I'm going to make dehydrated chips out of them this year - just like I do with apples.