Native Hunter Apples 2023

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
This looks to be a good year for apples where I live. I have some common, as well as some unusual varieties. I thought maybe a few folks might enjoy a thread where I document the apples as they ripen through the year. All of my apples are no spray, so you may see a few bug bites, etc....

I picked my first two apples for the year today. This variety is called Striped June (aka Margaret). They are a small apple ranging from about 2 to 2.5 inches in diameter. The taste is on the tart side, and they cook really well. I've never tried drying this apple but will probably do some this year. By June 15th they will be dropping well and should finish around the end of June - about the time my second apple (Bevan's Favorite) starts coming in. As you can see in the second pic below, most of the Striped June are just beginning to get some red color.

PS - This apple is highly disease resistant to all of the major apple diseases.

IMG_2711.jpg

IMG_2713.jpg

Last edited:
That’s fantastic. Was reading through some of your old threads recently and was thinking it would be great if you did another, especially awesome with feedback on disease resistance since I am no spray as well in 7B southern VA

Holy cow, you're picking already? We just finished with frosts a little over a week ago!

I'm giving you hope for the future!!!

That’s fantastic. Was reading through some of your old threads recently and was thinking it would be great if you did another, especially awesome with feedback on disease resistance since I am no spray as well in 7B southern VA

Stay tuned and we will review a bunch of different ones, Good Lord willing....

Hard for me to beleive your picking fruit. 4 weeks ago I still had snow on the ground!

I'm not really that far north of you and my apples are almost the size of a dime now. I've looked for the striped June on the internet before never had any luck finding any that werent already sold out. I would like to put a couple of those in for a good early apple.

I'm not really that far north of you and my apples are almost the size of a dime now. I've looked for the striped June on the internet before never had any luck finding any that werent already sold out. I would like to put a couple of those in for a good early apple.
It’s amazing how quickly lots of trees get sold out these days. If I ever see any of them for sale I will let you know. I do recall that Big Horse Creek Farm sold scion wood for that variety at one time, so that might be an option.

Hard for me to beleive your picking fruit. 4 weeks ago I still had snow on the ground!

Hey Foggy, you just need to move down and become my neighbor, I've also been picking bush cherries. These won't ripen as early in your location, but I bet they would grow there since they were developed in Canada.

IMG_2699.jpg
IMG_2700.jpg

It’s amazing how quickly lots of trees get sold out these days. If I ever see any of them for sale I will let you know. I do recall that Big Horse Creek Farm sold scion wood for that variety at one time, so that might be an option.

Thank you.
When I first started planting apple trees for wildlife I was laser focused on getting very late hanging fruit trees planted.
Then as I learned more about supplying soft mast early from you and a couple other members here I realized I had totally missed the early season draw and opportunity to hold wildlife on our places with very early summer fruit drop.
Now my focus is more on closing the gap I created in my food chain.
I was able to put in a couple yellow transparent last spring but want to plant a couple more good early droppers.
My goal now is to to have fruit falling from mid summer into late winter with our apples and pears.

And now I see I need some bush cherries too!

When I first started planting apple trees for wildlife I was laser focused on getting very late hanging fruit trees planted.
Then as I learned more about supplying soft mast early from you and a couple other members here I realized I had totally missed the early season draw and opportunity to hold wildlife on our places with very early summer fruit drop.
I was the same - late apples first. But Sandbur, Crazy Ed, Prof. Kent, Greyphase, Native Hunter & others spoke of having earlier apples & crabs for earlier attraction by wildlife. Now, our first crabs ripen in August & early September.

The value of others' experience!!!!!

Native, are you getting cedar quince rust (or one of the other rusts) on your pears?

1685977176223.jpeg

I'm thinking this uppermost pear may not be rust, but not sure.
1685977215205.jpeg
I had a couple chestnuts and persimmons resprout from the roots after this winter but most made it through fine.

Native, are you getting cedar quince rust (or one of the other rusts) on your pears?

View attachment 53274

View attachment 53275
I had a couple chestnuts and persimmons resprout from the roots after this winter but most made it through fine.

No, I'm not seeing any.

Wild Raspberries coming in. These came up a few years ago around an old stump in my yard. It was so shady there I figured they wouldn't grow, but I cleaned out a spot so they could spread. This year they have encompassed a 15 foot circle and loaded. I bet they don't get 3 or 4 hours of sunlight a day.

IMG_2719.jpg

Illinois Everbearing Mulberry beginning to ripen. This picture illustrates how the tree got its name - due to bearing over a long period of time. Black = ripe and ready to eat, Red = ripe in a few days and Green = weeks from being ripe.

IMG_2725.jpg

Wild Raspberries coming in. These came up a few years ago around an old stump in my yard. It was so shady there I figured they wouldn't grow, but I cleaned out a spot so they could spread. This year they have encompassed a 15 foot circle and loaded. I bet they don't get 3 or 4 hours of sunlight a day.
FWIW - The wild black raspberries here in SE Pa. seem to do best in dappled sunlight / sparse sunlight. The places my wife and I go to pick black raspberries have more shade than sun by far, and the biggest berries seem to ripen quicker in the shadier spots. The biggest, sweetest berries we find under the leaves of the canes ..... shaded. I'd estimate the hours of sunlight at 3 to 5 hours max per day.

Congrats on the wild raspberries!! IMO - the best eating wild berries out there. Get 'em before the birds do.

View attachment 53274

View attachment 53275
I'm getting that on some pears and crabapples