My little piece of dirt.....

That stand looks like the spot to be. Is it the transition area it looks like in the pic?

That stand looks like the spot to be. Is it the transition area it looks like in the pic?
yep...this spot is a great spot. a funnel from way in the bottom that leads all the way up past the stand. Great transition area.Big timber below.

This is a 1 1/2 year old pear that come up by seed from under a big pear tree that my grandmaw set out many, many years ago.
I was able to dig it up without messing up any roots.
its growing fast to only be 1 1/2 years old..

Since no one answered your question about the black branch - I'd prune that back to a whip over winter when the tree goes dormant. You'll want your scaffold branches higher than those first tiers, so lop them now and the tree will push new growth where you let it. The trunk will not get any taller than it is now. If you want browse resistant lower limbs, it's time to make the tree grow them where you want them in relation to the ground.

Since no one answered your question about the black branch - I'd prune that back to a whip over winter when the tree goes dormant. You'll want your scaffold branches higher than those first tiers, so lop them now and the tree will push new growth where you let it. The trunk will not get any taller than it is now. If you want browse resistant lower limbs, it's time to make the tree grow them where you want them in relation to the ground.
thanks, I will work on that soon

We are getting trees in the ground. Got a few Japanese persimmon, some willow oaks and a big sawtooth.

This is a Sawtooth

Looks good! Wish we could be doing some planting here but it's not in the cards right now, supposed to be in the 30's next week.

Looks good! Wish we could be doing some planting here but it's not in the cards right now, supposed to be in the 30's next week.
the high yesterday was like 67 here and low around mid 30

Took my 22 to one of my foodplots and killed 5 rabbits in two hunts.
my boy had fun being in the blind with me!

Trees looking good after full green up in the south.
This is a sawtooth in February 2014.

This is the same tree one year later after green up.

Another sawtooth pic

Great pics! It doesn't take long for kids to grow up. I started some Sawtooths this year, don't know how they'll do here but it's worth a shot.

While I bushhogged near the pond and as long as I was near the pond so I could see them my 2 younger boys had a fun morning and we had catfish and bream for dinner.

That was the first time my youngest boy had been in a boat. Last night when my youngest boy was saying his prayer, he said thank you God for him fishing in the boat and also for him catching those catfish. I couldn't help but smile while he was saying his prayer.lol

Got some clearing done at one of my stands. Put a lane in that is a thicket on both sides.
This is gonna be my go to stand. This is actually when I first made a few passes with the tractor. I ended up making it a lot bigger than this, but didn't take a picture when I finished clearing the lane.

Last edited:
That made quick work of that stuff. Are you going to plant that area to something?

That made quick work of that stuff. Are you going to plant that area to something?
Yep..it cleaned it up good enough to plant without even getting a saw out.

I'm probably going to plant a mix of wheat and clover..

Those are some great pictures, and you have those boys started off right. You have some fine helpers for your habitat work!