All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My little piece of dirt.....

I looked at my plots and really needing some rain! seed is coming up , but a lot has not germinated yet. If we get a rain in the next week then i think they will fill in fine. Time will tell.

this place is covered up with wildflowers right now.

Another

This is a 1 1/2 year old pear that come up by seed from under a big pear tree that my grandmaw set out many, many years ago.
I was able to dig it up without messing up any roots.
its growing fast to only be 1 1/2 years old..

This is same tree as above and one limb looks to be getting the blight.

I guess I can just snip off bellow that is turned black on the pic above? Can I snip now or wait?

This is a Native Nurseries hybrid oak. I have about a dozen of their hybrid oaks. I bought the hybrid white oak package that had a good mix
of hybrids.

Are those flowers black eyed susans? I've really become a fan of those tubex tubes. I've got a bunch of trees in plantra tubes that are getting scratched up at the rim of the tube from wind. I wonder if I shouldn't cut off a few inches to move that rubbing point or let it be?

Are those flowers black eyed susans? I've really become a fan of those tubex tubes. I've got a bunch of trees in plantra tubes that are getting scratched up at the rim of the tube from wind. I wonder if I shouldn't cut off a few inches to move that rubbing point or let it be?
Yep..black eyed susans is what we always called them.
they are all over this hillside.

Yep, the tubex tree tubes are great! the very top has a kinda rolled edge making it more friendly on the tree.

Good looking oaks and a good find on the pear tree.

Good looking oaks and a good find on the pear tree.
I was happy to see the pear come up from under the big tree. It may turn out not to be like the parent tree, but i planted it for deer and should be good enough for somthing to eat.

Its been real dry here and the plots are finally starting to thicken up.
This is ladino and crimson clover with winter peas ,wheat,rye, and oats.

This is the plot below the new box stand. Grass is just now peeking up and needs rain. The deer have alredy found the plot.

This is our gun opener today. This is my view this evening.

another.

Nice Ground Huntall. You can make some long shots there. I think its great you let your son have his own spot to work and get reward. I wish I had your growing zone, you have some great trees you have planted.

I use to travel to Tupelo for work many years ago. I even went to a Mississippi State, Mississippi b-ball game, we had allot of fun and it was quite the experience. Lots of frats and crazy fans enjoying themselves. Loved the food in the south, particularly sweet potatoes and catfish but I'll let you keep the okra and greens.

Last edited:
Nice Ground Huntall. You can make some long shots there. I think its great you let your son have his own spot to work and get reward. I wish I had your growing zone, you have some great trees you have planted.

I use to travel to Tupelo for work many years ago. I even went to a Mississipi State, Mississipi b-ball game, we had allot of fun and it was quite the experience. Lots of frats and crazy fans enjoying themselves. Loved the food in the south, particularly sweet potatoes and catfish but I'll let you keep the okra and greens.
Thanks , I think the reward is much more when the kids fix up their own little spot.

We have had a fun time fixen up our land! A lot of work, but fun.
Oh....and yes the fried catfish down here is awesome!!

Last edited:
Our growing zone is amazing for pears. We can get pears in only a couple years. Sometimes we get pears first year. After about 5 years they put on a decent number of fruit.