Must have tractor attachments

I grew up on a farm, and used tractors for many years, then I also worked on skid loaders for many years after that. I just havent owned a tractor since I quit farming. I am sure I am a little out of practice on a tractor, but I have ran skidsteers the last 20 years, not daily, but enough to know what their limits are.

Good point on pulling with the loader, I know they arent made for the hard jerking, like trying to pull stumps out, experience on the farm many years ago, yanking out a stump, and the loader bolts broke and it broke the casting on the tranny, fluid all over, but no fear, JB weld saved the day on that one, and I just had to weld a bracket to a different location for the loader. That really was an "oh shit" moment!

As for ballast, I did have the tires filled, and for the most part the box blade will ride on the back. I do have an old rock box, but it has cat 2 pins, I was going to see if they will screw out to convert them.

As for the belly mower, it was $4,000+ depending on 60" or 72", I can buy a separate lawn mower, or 3 for that money, and I wont need to take off and install the deck every week.

I didnt ask for a block heater, but I am a retired auto mechanic, so I can probably add one myself.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but have a related question since you mention a box blade. I have one (not that I'm great at using it). I don't have, and have never used, a land plane. What do folks think of a land plane vs a box blade for road maintenance?

Thanks,

Jack

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but have a related question since you mention a box blade. I have one (not that I'm great at using it). I don't have, and have never used, a land plane. What do folks think of a land plane vs a box blade for road maintenance?

Thanks,

Jack
I have never used a land plane on a tractor, but I have on a skid loader. For a driveway, and if your machine has down pressure, they work great, I can level a large area in no time. If your machine doesnt have much down pressure, and your driveway is compacted, it will slide over the top of the compacted stuff, but it will take the high spots off.

Personally, on a tractor, unless you have loose gravel, or loose dirt, I think the box blade, or back blade will work much better. On a skid loader, and fresh gravel, it cant be beat!

As for ballast, I did have the tires filled, and for the most part the box blade will ride on the back. I do have an old rock box, but it has cat 2 pins, I was going to see if they will screw out to convert them.

You should be able to buy Cat 2 to Cat 1 slide on bushings for your Cat 2 pins.

You should be able to buy Cat 2 to Cat 1 slide on bushings for your Cat 2 pins.
I think that is backwards. You can put cat 2 bushings on cat 1 pins, not the other way around. My tractor will take either cat 2 or cat 1 arms. I always use the cat 2 arms and use cat 1 to cat 2 bushings.

Pallet forks are on my wish list.

Belly mowers are pricey........

I am a big prponent of finish mowers vs brush hogs for plot maintenance. They just chop everything up well. Flail mower would be better of course. I have seen decent used 3pt finish mowers for $500. I have also seen used belly mowers for $700-1000 range.

Not sure what brand your buying but a little kubota BX is a mean little tractor for what you pay for. And you can still get a food plot seeder for that little footprint and HP.

I bought a Kubota LX2610. I was looking at some used 3 point mowers, but I can’t justify a new one right now.

So far my want list is
Rear blade
3pt mower
A tiller
Post hope digger

I would love to get a stump grinder, but I can’t imagine anything that a 26hp tractor will handle will be very effective, and the cost is so high. A snow blower would also be pretty cool, but not sure it would be practical with a gravel driveway. I assume it would turn into a rock launcher. If I can find a belly mower used that will fit it for cheap, I would jump at that as well.

I am going to add ROPs lights, that I already have, a radio, and a block heater.

I still have to go pick it up, I may end up with more attachments while I am there, if anything else will fit on my trailer.

Here is a better look at my fork lift:

DSC03195.jpeg

I don't believe I could have ever lifted this pallet of sod with the clamp on bucket forks I had before but it was easy enough with the actual fork lift...
DSC03197 (1).jpeg

Forks came in handy for hoisting this box blind up on its platform...
IMG_2784.jpeg

Actually, I can't tell you how many box blinds I have moved with these forks but we have 11 of them on the property, some of which have been moved at least twice...
IMG_3321.jpeg

IMG_1380 (1).jpeg

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_3680.jpg

Most recently - used it to move a firewood rack. It comes in handy quite often...
IMG_6211.jpg

I did order forks, there has been several times I could have used them, and as I get older, I am finding more things I no longer want to lift myself, and know forks would do the job. I believe these are the ones I got. They are 1200#, 42”

85F0E48D-59DB-4C7B-8C37-EE7B50C7EAFD.png

I don't turn dirt anymore since I went 100% no-till 7 years ago, but when I was turning dirt a rototiller would have been out of the question on my property as I just have too many rocks. The best implement I used for cultivating the soil was a field cultivator. I have a 12 footer (which is going up for sale soon) but this chopped off 6' wing from a fold up cultivator really worked well and is much better suited for work in rocky soil.
IMG_3606.jpeg

I wouldn’t be able to use a rototiller in my food plots either, it would be used for my wife’s garden, and also trying to level high spots in my yard.

I did order forks, there has been several times I could have used them, and as I get older, I am finding more things I no longer want to lift myself, and know forks would do the job. I believe these are the ones I got. They are 1200#, 42”

View attachment 43493

I have the same forks in 48". Have used them a lot, you'll like them.

I asked about the 2000# 48” forks but he said the 1200# is more then the tractor can lift anyhow, he recommended I save the money and get the 1200#

I dont think my tractor can quite lift stands like those :)

I do like the pallet fork extensions, but with the smaller compact tractor, its probably wise to not add much weight to the tips of the forks.

It’s home, now to do some other work, so I can play on it.

View attachment 43567

Go get muddy! :emoji_wink:
digger-smiley-emoticon.gif