Rock picking implement for my LCUT?

Maddog66

5 year old buck +
I have about 5 acres of plots right now, more to come in the future I hope.

My rocks aren’t as bad as some. I have ‘bottom’ areas in my plots where I barely hear a rock when discing, but other areas where there is a good number of fist-sized to volleyball sized rocks pushing up every spring. There are also a handful I’ve found that are BIG. Those I’ll take out with my neighbors hoe.

Of course, I’ve picked them by hand and am willing to continue doing that for the bigger stuff. But I have a good tractor for the work, I think, and might be willing to spend up to around $5k for a good solution. I feel like I’d be able to use it for the rest of my life since you don’t just pick rock once.

I have a grapple now. I love to say that 😂….but it sucks for picking rock on an acre imo. My HD FEL bucket is fine for collecting piles. I have a 6’ wide heavy disc too.

What are the best Cat 1 options out there for rock picking a few acres, used in usable condition, or new?

A good york rake could ush them into rows. I've done that with a 32hp kubota before.

IF you have enough hydraulic HP and buy some hose extensions ,you might be able to rent a rock rake. IF you have a quicl attach bucket.

Here's one that might work on smaller tractors.

Also, might be a farmer or landscaper that can help you out.

Most solutions will need dead bare ground more or less.

This one doesn't look to bad in WI. It'll be easier to borrow or hire a tractor than borrow a rock picker, if you dont have enough HP.

Do you know much about them as far as hydraulic needs? Weight? Tractor HP ?

I have a JD 4066r with 4th, and 5th SCV’s available, ……but I think I remember they are not real hi flow.

That one in Wausau is lees than and hour from my house. Very interesting! Thank you! (Congrats, you found a way to spend my whole proposed maximum budget😂😂). The tractor in the background could probably eat my 4066r though…if that’s what it takes to operate it.

The one in MN looks more like something I could handle easier. Lot further drive.

Are those also considered York rakes? They basically sift the top few inches of soil with steel fingers and then you dump the fingers into a bin via hydros?

I do have a JD quick attach bucket on my FEL. And I have 1/4” lines run up there from the rear 3rd SCV for the grapple.

Does that put me in the running to be able to rent a rake, do you think?

Here's a similar one from schlute, of course new not used, but it'll give you a general idea on HP.

Think if you loosen up the soil first and dont overload with rocks too much youd be ok. Flat ground. Looks like you need 3 remotes for it.

Never played with one of those rock pickers.

York rake. Sometimes just called a landscape rake. You can push the rocks into rows and scoop them up with the bucket.

I have used these before.

Might be able to attack to your bucket. Basically a power broom, but for dirt. Push the rocks into a pile Some places rent these rakes too.

Brother in law has a monster payload scraper he uses for rocks, then gets the bad or fluke ones with a grapple.

Here's another harley rake for sale

Used a cat skidsteer with one of these.

They make ROCK BUCKETS that are just a bucket made with spaces for the dirt to sift back out while collecting and holding the rocks.

12 to 15 gpm for those power harley rakes. There are pto drive 3pt rear ones, but the skidsteer is more common.

I wonder if you put an add on Craigs List or Marketplace.....if you would find a nearby farmer to rent you theirs?