40hp tractor - which implements to get?

bjseiler

5 year old buck +
Seems like I will be getting a new tractor this weekend. Still have to measure the barn clearance since it is a cab but hopefully there is enough room to get it in....

Mahindra is running a special on $1000 off if you buy three implements. I'm already going to get a non-Mahindra grapple. It comes with a regular bucket (I'll get hooks welded on). I have a virtually new pull behind rough cut mower so I'm probably going to skip the cutter for now unless I can sell the mower. This is for around the house and clearing atv trails, clearing some openings in the woods, 1/2 mile gravel road.

I was thinking 6' box blade, 6' rear blade and a post hole auger. Tiller for a garden would be nice but the mahindra version is $2500 so might opt for renting one or getting a cheaper king kutter.

Am I missing something obvious? I don't think Mahindra has a fertilizer spreader or sprayer. That's about the only other thing I was thinking of.

Congrats. Those seem like good choices. Pallet forks?

For box blade - 6 ft
Rear blade - 7 ft cause 6 ft gonna be too narrow when angled
Someday down the road 6 ft bush hog

I have a 42 hp tractor

I have all the above and a few more implements. No post hole digger however

I wouldn't buy a rear blade and a box blade both. I wouldn't have a tractor without a bush hog and a set of forks, though.

I second (or third) the forks. I have a grapple on order and will probably use it a ton...but previously I keep the forks on my tractor 95% of the time compared to the bucket.

Lifting logs and pallets....what else do you use the forks for?

Sad day. Only have 2 inches of clearance so it seems the cab is not going to happen. On the bright side I guess I’m saving $7-8k.

Sad day. Only have 2 inches of clearance so it seems the cab is not going to happen. On the bright side I guess I’m saving $7-8k.
I’ve never lifted a pallet with mine, but tons of logs, lumber, fence posts, deer blinds, etc. It actually feels weird when my forks aren’t on my tractor.

Attachments

• 405E7765-6B4D-4CB3-9FBB-888E5668FA51.jpeg
    405E7765-6B4D-4CB3-9FBB-888E5668FA51.jpeg
    540.8 KB · Views: 24
I have a rear blade and can not remember the last time I used it. I am looking at set of forks for the FEL as I can always find jobs for them. For me, a brush hog is a must. I have cut down my mowing quite a bit by turning the smaller pieces into food plots. Even so, my road system and various other pieces need to be mowed at least twice a year.

Last year I still had an antique rear blade that was more narrow than my current tractor (but still worked for certain jobs). I went to a couple auctions and ended up buying a new 1 for about the same as the auction prices went. I'm better at scraping and dragging gravel or earth with the loader, but there's times when the blade is what's needed. Lots easier for moving material or working out ruts. Glad I have both.

My list for implements are:
- FEL (which you have)
- Backhoe - expensive, but when you need to dig and move earth it can't be beat
- Post hole auger - speeds up planting trees
- Front forks - agree they have many uses in moving heavy stuff and putting up stands
- Rear Brush Mower - Sold my pull behind. Rear cutter much more maneuverable, can back into areas to cut, enough power that it never clogs
with thick grass, and almost no maintenance. Tow behind was constant maintenance.
- Double rear disc 6'
- Rear scraper blade

What are you doing for counter weight in the rear? I had my rear tires filled with beet juice (non-corrosive) which added 600 lbs per tire.

My next purchase would either be a tiller or grapple. I think the grapple would have far more uses.

I decided against a cab, too easy to damage when working around the woods.

I only have a tiller meaning no disk or plow. Tiller tines can cause a hard pan but my teeth are worn and only till about 3" deep. I figure the radishes, turnips, cereals and the like bust up the hard pan if there is one at all. Haven't noticed my soybeans suffer because of any hard pan issues. I do use a good rotation also so.....

Dig out the ground! That's what I had to do until I got a new door :-)