Lord grant me the strength

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
Ok it’s not that serious, but I think I’m going to go camera free all summer. Go back to doing some old school glassing to catch a glimpse of something. Maybe deploy all non cell cams early August and pull cards end of August and then turn cell on during season if at all. I think the anticipation of that first pull would be special. I think Winke does something similar. I’m somewhat over watching every buck progress from June to July to August to hunting season. No mystery left.

I did the same thing last year and did not put cams out until August. Was a good move for me and I didn't waste time checking cams and disturbing things. Also got away from that (^^^) "what's he gonna be" focus every week. By early August they will have put on their main structure with still some time for a bit of antler growth.

Pulled my cams out a month ago and won't put them out until early Aug again. Don't think you'll regret it.

I did the same thing last year and did not put cams out until August. Was a good move for me and I didn't waste time checking cams and disturbing things. Also got away from that (^^^) "what's he gonna be" focus every week. By early August they will have put on their main structure with still some time for a bit of antler growth.

Pulled my cams out a month ago and won't put them out until early Aug again. Don't think you'll regret it.
Good to hear! I bet it will be fun

I like your idea of spending more time glassing sitting in a stand early morning or afternoon ... old school!
I have several fields where I can do that. Me and my knucklehead buddies use to drive around in the summers and glass all the time. Been years since I’ve done that as a scouting tool. It was so fun.

I have several fields where I can do that. Me and my knucklehead buddies use to drive around in the summers and glass all the time. Been years since I’ve done that as a scouting tool. It was so fun.

It's gets you out on the property with minimal disruption or intrusion. You can also see travel patterns.

Personally I like to see the pictures as much as the scouting !View attachment 63712
I am the same way. I havent killed a deer in four years - not because I couldnt - but because I choose not to. Cameras are about so much more than deer for me. I like to watch the progression of the food plots. I use my cameras to hog hunt and coon hunt. I like to monitor how many coyotes and bobcats are on the property. I like to see the squirrels and rabbits. The last thing I do at night is look at the pictures and the first thing I do in the morning is look at the pictures. My wife wants to see pictures. My kids want to see pictures. My grandkids want to see pictures. I want to follow the doe groups. See how many summer fawns there are compared to how many there are during Sept camera surveys. What cover are he does using in summer. Cameras are a year round sport. Would probably give up my gun or bow before my cameras - at least for deer

I have 2 cams out that I left out all winter 1 call cam, 1 non cell cam, I pulled the rest, and they probably wont go back out. I know my property well enough, I know when buck come on it, and when I should be hunting. I get new bucks in the fall that I dont see all summer, and ones I see all summer, I never see in the fall. No sense drooling over pictures when that time could be spent looking at the deer in stand. Last year I got tired of spending all that money on lithium batteries, and only had cams out during season, but I dont think I will put them back out.

I was spending about $40 per month on cell cam subscriptions, and on average about that much on lithium batteries for my cameras. With the money I will save, I can buy me a new rifle this year. Nice trade off.

I have 2 cams out that I left out all winter 1 call cam, 1 non cell cam, I pulled the rest, and they probably wont go back out. I know my property well enough, I know when buck come on it, and when I should be hunting. I get new bucks in the fall that I dont see all summer, and ones I see all summer, I never see in the fall. No sense drooling over pictures when that time could be spent looking at the deer in stand. Last year I got tired of spending all that money on lithium batteries, and only had cams out during season, but I dont think I will put them back out.

I was spending about $40 per month on cell cam subscriptions, and on average about that much on lithium batteries for my cameras. With the money I will save, I can buy me a new rifle this year. Nice trade off.
Good point about the money spent on plans and batteries. That is several hundred that could go toward plots

I agree, the$$ I spend on batteries, let alone the time spent pulling cards, could be applied elsewhere with a better return.

Last year I ran one camera on my property from I think September through mid January. I did not run and cams on the other property I hunt until after the season was over, and then for only one month. I will do the same this year, with the exception that I may run one on both properties September - mid January.

My son on the other hand has `12 running all year, but they are all on suburban properties that he has access to. That would drive me nuts!

Sometimes I keep cams out through April to monitor turkey movement but rarely keep any going through summer. Always try to have mine out again by Labor Day.

I have not had any active cameras going for 4 or 5 years now. Just kinda lost interest in the cams. Things I caught on camera never showed up while I was hunting. Now I just watch deer from my deck everyday. Does make it more difficult to go to work when I've got a bunch of deer in my food plots in the morning.

Last edited:
I think I wanna chase down why they're boogering at my Spartan cell cams but not at the Cuddelinks. Something's going on.

I love watching the show in the evenings when I can't hunt.

I think I wanna chase down why they're boogering at my Spartan cell cams but not at the Cuddelinks. Something's going on.

I love watching the show in the evenings when I can't hunt.
You arent kidding. Do you know how many times my wife in the evenings in the summer has told me to put down my phone because between the hours of 630 and eight I’m checking every picture that comes through! So this is going to test my strength

On another note I’ve had zero issues with Spartans spooking deer. Had them for the last 6 years

You arent kidding. Do you know how many times my wife in the evenings in the summer has told me to put down my phone because between the hours of 630 and eight I’m checking every picture that comes through! So this is going to test my strength

On another note I’ve had zero issues with Spartans spooking deer. Had them for the last 6 years
I had spartans on a trail entering a field this year and had deer duck off the trail to come behind the camera, or looking up at the camera that was 6'+ off the ground, from behind the tree.

someone told me to run my cams on video mode and I would learn a lot.

I feel bad now. I have cameras that have literally been in the same tree for over 5 years. Every now and then I have to remove them and reset them because when the tree grows it changes the camera angle.