Is the hunting industry selling us garbage?

vql5LrO.jpg
I laughed so loud, my family heard me in my closed-door, lower-level computer room and thought I was losing it !!! Classic stuff, Native.

Whoa, watch it there Bows. Apparently the word "Eskimo" is no longer allowed. It's derogatory. The appropriate term is now "Native American Peoples of the Circumpolar Regions." :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_smile:

To your point, another insult to one's intelligence was when Steve B. was marketing $1000 "virtual site visits and consultations" via Google Earth maps. Give me a break. I place that one in the same category as all the other gimmicks, gadgets, and fads referenced here so far...the hunting industry and industry leaders preying on the desperation of hunters.
Those guys have no more qualifications than me to be offering habitat plans. People who got suckered into those should feel duped. I tell y’all what, email me your property and I’ll do one for $500 and do it the same day…no wait time!

The problem isn’t the industry, it’s the consumers. Unfortunately the lowest common denominator of hunters is the majority of hunters. I would say people on this site are way above that line! There wouldn’t be stupid products to sell without stupid buyers.

Whoa, watch it there Bows. Apparently the word "Eskimo" is no longer allowed. It's derogatory. The appropriate term is now "Native American Peoples of the Circumpolar Regions." :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_smile:
Thanks Natty .......... things have certainly gone too far. I think everyone needs to calm down and not be "butt-hurt" over every little thing - as you so aptly pointed out!!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_sunglasses:

As for hunting "wonder products" - I've only ever seen solid reaction to "doe-in-heat" urine a couple times - all in Maine's big woods. Mid-November, running toward my location from DOWNWIND. No such reaction here in Pa. with the same product. As for scents today ......... I use what nature has provided free of charge. I tend to follow the Wensel bros. way of thinking - I have their books. They're originally from central Pa. and hunted here for years before moving to other states.

Yep - you're right - the list of gimmicks and gadgets is never-ending ...... as is the supply of "desperate hunters" as you mentioned. If I don't get "my deer" each year - I feel so un-manly and un-proven as a hunter .......... :emoji_rolling_eyes::emoji_laughing:

LOL, I dare you to try and cancel H-T by boycotting the sponsors..
I don't think H-T is that kind of forum. I'd like to believe we're all above that sort of thing. With that said .................. I'm now boycotting you Bill. :emoji_grin:

To your point, another insult to one's intelligence was when Steve B. was marketing $1000 "virtual site visits and consultations" via Google Earth maps. Give me a break. I place that one in the same category as all the other gimmicks, gadgets, and fads referenced here so far...the hunting industry and industry leaders preying on the desperation of hunters.
No kidding, pretty sure it was him that had written about “doe factories” - and why you shouldnt create one because you could potentially lose your bucks. I created a “doe factory” and have better hunting than I have ever had. No way can you create a management plan without a site visit. And even then, without knowledge of what goes on near, but off the property, it would be difficult for someone outside the area to make a couple visits and come up with a good plan.

I have a Degree in Wildlife with a minor in botany and I am still learning how to manage my property after almost 20 years.

This made me remember scented chewing gum to cover your breath. I actually miss the pine scented gum. Not that it did a thing for deer. It was just a different flavor.

This made me remember scented chewing gum to cover your breath. I actually miss the pine scented gum. Not that it did a thing for deer. It was just a different flavor.
I’ll admit to doing that one for a couple seasons! It was cheap compared to other gimmicks out there at least

3. Doe urine.....
- Has anyone actually ever seen this stuff work?

Yes. Shot my biggest whitetail to date because of it.

Haven't tried the other three.

The problem isn’t the industry, it’s the consumers. Unfortunately the lowest common denominator of hunters is the majority of hunters. I would say people on this site are way above that line! There wouldn’t be stupid products to sell without stupid buyers.

I agree with this statement. Alot of these products just make me shake my head, but I'm a capitalist. I'm all for companies bringing out any products they can come up with. If the products have merit, they will stand on their own. If not, then they will go away. Apparently, the doughnut holder stands on its own!

I'm so glad you didn't attack my Cornholer - this is the key to all of my success....

ULn6l3y.jpg

Is that what keeps you on stand for long hours at a time???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The gimmicky stuff that tries to compensate for a lack of woodsmanship drives me nuts, but the advances that keep me on stand longer stand out. For example, outerwear has come a long ways. I'm not talking about paying hundreds extra for the latest camo pattern, but actual improvements in material and quality. Boots, too - although I've noticed that one major manufacturer seems to have some issues with soles detaching - and so I've voted with my wallet and switched to another similar make. And cell cams just make getting up in the morning more fun lol...

No kidding, pretty sure it was him that had written about “doe factories” - and why you shouldnt create one because you could potentially lose your bucks. I created a “doe factory” and have better hunting than I have ever had. No way can you create a management plan without a site visit. And even then, without knowledge of what goes on near, but off the property, it would be difficult for someone outside the area to make a couple visits and come up with a good plan.

I have a Degree in Wildlife with a minor in botany and I am still learning how to manage my property after almost 20 years.

You and I have much in common. My strategy too has been to create a doe factory on my small acreage. Works for me. And similarly, my degree is in Wildlife Bio and Management....but I continue to learn more about practical and real world habitat management on this forum than I did in college.

You forgot ozonics. I mean how did people kill deer before.
To each there own on gear and gadgets people spend money on. That being said keep the wind, have a weapon you use well and get more tags is my thinking.

I am not scared to say I use one on most hunts. I used one from a friend for an entire year before I bought one. Deer downwind seem to all have a similar reaction when using it. A lot of different factors but I have enough confidence that I drag it along, even though it is a pain in the butt.