Live from the stand thread

Was it gut or liver shot? How far did the deer go from where they shot it to where you found it? That's really good that you followed up on their bad shot and found the deer.
It was a high shot, took out at least one lung, and went through the liver. From where I saw him run through, he made about 75 yards, so from my property line, where I assume he shot from, is about another 100 . Hardly anymore blood. I actually found him with my thermal imaging camera. It was glowing nice and bright even after sitting there all day. I saw it from about 100 feet away. It was the first time I used it for that. It was cool as hell!

I guess I am not positive it is legal to use a thermal imaging camera to recover deer, so if it is against the law, I was kidding.

Last edited:
I respect that. The first deer I ever shot I came across a small one with a blown out front leg. I shot it and tagged it and was happy I had the meat. Would rather not waste a resource due to someone else being unethical. Good on you man.

I usually shoot does, so this small buck would just be a bonus.

it's a sad time of year when everyone around the country (seemingly) is shooting nice bucks and we here in PA are left to go to work and wait a whole 4 more days....

Yeah there is good and bad in both. In MO, rifle season is typically peak rut when bucks are stupid. PA rifle season, the rut is winding down. If your bucks came home from the rut alive, that could be a good thing.

Second cold front of the gun season. Fresh dusting of snow, pic not uploading. Hopefully a Thanksgiving Day deer comes through.

Hunting this morn over what turned out being a pretty decent turnip plot. Thought it was chilly enough and temps dropping that a food plot hunt was worth a chance. Have a bunch of plums in those weeds but probably hard to see. Open plot hunting hasn't been very effective the past few years. Lotta new plots sprang up in the neighborhood. Many wasted sits when I should've been in the woods.

20211125_083252.jpg

Hunting this morn over what turned out being a pretty decent turnip plot. Thought it was chilly enough and temps dropping that a food plot hunt was worth a chance. Have a bunch of plums in those weeds but probably hard to see. Open plot hunting hasn't been very effective the past few years. Lotta new plots sprang up in the neighborhood. Many wasted sits when I should've been in the woods.

View attachment 38760
Good luck and happy Thanksgiving!

The deer are ridiculously bedded down around me. I have been out every day, and other then 1 fawn that must be an orphan, I havent seen anything during daylight. Between the hours of 10pm-6 am I have several deer on camera. I am about ready to take the rest of gun season off, let them relax for a few weeks and try again bow. Opening day I had several deer around me, let them all go. Waiting for a fawnless doe, being a burnt my buck tag. Now nothing is moving, no shots around me either. Although, the last couple nights the wolves have been howling in the distance, so maybe they came through and drove some off as well

Deer moved outta here over a month ago. I keep trying for a straggler. Weird year.

The deer are ridiculously bedded down around me. I have been out every day, and other then 1 fawn that must be an orphan, I havent seen anything during daylight. Between the hours of 10pm-6 am I have several deer on camera. I am about ready to take the rest of gun season off, let them relax for a few weeks and try again bow. Opening day I had several deer around me, let them all go. Waiting for a fawnless doe, being a burnt my buck tag. Now nothing is moving, no shots around me either. Although, the last couple nights the wolves have been howling in the distance, so maybe they came through and drove some off as well
Im seeing the same thing here. I was seeing a bunch bow hunting. Now, nothing . 3 hunters 4 deer total seen, 1 of those shot. My youngest got his first buck!
Not 1 deer seen since Sunday. 1 shot heard all day today.

It’s awesome that your son got his first! That is a better feeling then getting it yourself.

Even the leaves stopped moving once I got into stand tonight. It was quiet, and still. 1 shot from a quite a distance.

It’s awesome that your son got his first! That is a better feeling then getting it yourself.
You got that right! He was steady as a rock, i was shakin like a leaf! Awesome!
Id take the kids getting one over me any day.

I told his tonight it was my turn, i havent pulled the trigger in 3 years. I dont mind though, watching the boys get theirs is worth it.

Not a lot moving at our place either. Neighbor saw a bunch of does behind their farm. Will be back out tomorrow trying for 1 for the freezer.

I told his tonight it was my turn, i havent pulled the trigger in 3 years. I dont mind though, watching the boys get theirs is worth it.
He tagged out doe bow doe shotgun, 154 buck shotgun

Been in lots of elk but haven’t found a mature bull. Here’s a pic through the spotter from 2 miles away and one peeking over the ridge about 15 yards away at the same herd after a nice climb. No shots fired but what a riot dogging the herd above treeline.

572AD079-768E-4680-833E-7D1CE86E4246.pngA78F724E-C643-431A-BCF5-99E0CBC8F9E2.png

Last edited:
We haven't seen a buck all week. Shot a pair of does Thursday morning right after the snow quit. Out this morning for a sit and some drives.

We are in our Third weekend of our modern gun season. I was out with one of the grand daughters this morn. She was at a football game yesterday eve and didnt have it in her this morn. We stayed about 45 minutes after day light and headed home. Had to run some out of the food plot when we got down. Been seeing 20 or 30 a morning. She killed a decent buck first weekend. My son is out with a couple of other grand daughters. We will see how long they hang. Pretty cold for the south - upper 20’s.