Lime?

I bought a 8’ lime spreader I found online ($1k). I spread 2ton / acre last summer and I’ll do the same this summer then check it next year.
That's cool my man

I've looked at those. I think I told you my mechanical skills aren't as good as yours. No cutting and welding for me!
I had a couple of friends that owned a fab shop. I told them what I needed done....and they had the tools and skills to do the work for me. I do not own a plasma cutter nor a good wire feed welder.....they made short work of this project and I simply spun some bolts and applied some paint. Turned out well. I dont do much of that stuff anymore either.....but every now and again.....I still feel the call of the wild. lol.

I'm sure those do a great job with pellet lime. I have heard they do pretty well with ag lime if the moisture content is right. Have you tried yours with ag lime.

I'm sure those do a great job with pellet lime. I have heard they do pretty well with ag lime if the moisture content is right. Have you tried yours with ag lime.
me?.....well yah! Ag lime is all I have run through the drop spreader shown. Tons of the stuff. It has agitators in the bottom and I've run some pretty wet stuff through it. They work great on Ag Lime.

I would use their advice
Do you have two 10's for a five?

Just having a good time....no offense meant, but, heck - 600 lbs for 4,000?

me?.....well yah! Ag lime is all I have run through the drop spreader shown. Tons of the stuff. It has agitators in the bottom and I've run some pretty wet stuff through it. They work great on Ag Lime.
That is good to know. I've had guys who have them tell me they work pretty well. If one comes up for sale in my area, I'd certainly consider it. It would be good for maintenance lime when only a tone per acre is needed. Some have said if the lime is too wet, they can clog. They are certainly better than a broadcast spreader or shoveling it out of a pickup.

That is good to know. I've had guys who have them tell me they work pretty well. If one comes up for sale in my area, I'd certainly consider it. It would be good for maintenance lime when only a tone per acre is needed. Some have said if the lime is too wet, they can clog. They are certainly better than a broadcast spreader or shoveling it out of a pickup.
Absolutely. I have had some pretty wet ag lime .....and it's always unloaded for me. One pass over an acre of land at about 4 -6 mph will put out about 1 ton with the slide-gates wide open. I have applied lime with a 12 footer too......but I was banging into allot of trees and stumps and it gets hard to maneuver in tight quarters. Difficult to back up too.....therefore the narrow width is better for most. Tho....If I found an 8 footer (rare) I would not section it down. I think it may be optimal currently on my land.

Do you have two 10's for a five?

Just having a good time....no offense meant, but, heck - 600 lbs for 4,000?
What am I missing?

So a few things - If you want my 2 cents.
1. You have a 7 cec - this is a light spil.
2. Your CA base saturation is 74% -this is great!!
3. You MG is 14 - I’d suggest using dolomite lime as on a CEC below 8 - typically a higher MG is better, to help hold the soil together. Up to 18 to 20% even is fine.
4. All in all the soil looks good!! Especially for a deer plot. I’d use dolomite lime. Id maybe do 600 per application (is what he meant) and try to get more down when you have time.

How long it will last? A lot of that depends on planting strategies, rain fall, etc.

Hope this helps a little!

Albert

So a few things - If you want my 2 cents.
1. You have a 7 cec - this is a light spil.
2. Your CA base saturation is 74% -this is great!!
3. You MG is 14 - I’d suggest using dolomite lime as on a CEC below 8 - typically a higher MG is better, to help hold the soil together. Up to 18 to 20% even is fine.
4. All in all the soil looks good!! Especially for a deer plot. I’d use dolomite lime. Id maybe do 600 per application (is what he meant) and try to get more down when you have time.

How long it will last? A lot of that depends on planting strategies, rain fall, etc.

Hope this helps a little!

Albert
I disagree. Balance ratios for basic cations is outdated. Here is a source: https://soilsextension.qa.webhostin...ce-as-a-basis-for-fertilizer-recommendations/

Click on the paper or the PowerPoint. There is very little agronomic benefit to maintaining balanced cation ratios. The pelletized lime is the way to go.

I disagree. Balance ratios for basic cations is outdated. Here is a source: https://soilsextension.qa.webhostin...ce-as-a-basis-for-fertilizer-recommendations/

Click on the paper or the PowerPoint. There is very little agronomic benefit to maintaining balanced cation ratios. The pelletized lime is the way to go.
You don't really need get lime into the soil. Topdressing works well, especially if done early. Lime will move through the soil slowly on its own. By selecting crops the perform well in poor pH like WR an buckwheat, you can have good food plots while the lime is amending the soil. The slower it moves through the soil, the longer time between maintenance lime applications.

Neil Kinsey
Ward Labs
Various agronomist - Ag PHD
Dr. William Albretch would all disagree

CA,MG, K saturations - not nesscarily ratios - is incredibly important for the chemical structure of the soil and creating chemical binding or holding - aggregation. Whereas saturation is directly related to cec. Although I know AG Phd is starting to see strong correlations between other ratios such as P and Zinc.

Notice in power point the mention - on low cec soils it works. Likely because on higher cec soils the cost to change ratios is expensive. However, doesn’t mean we should pick a lime source or gypsum (if we see fit) to help soil porosity and structure -even if we can’t get it to an optimum % within our budget. These numbers move easier on lower CECs.

I’d also note this is from the 1980s. Since then - there have been several additonal articles written by various university and soil labs - speaking to benefit of base saturations.

Although I’m intrigued by the power point and I have shared with a few friends of mine who are soil chemist to get their take. So I appreciate you sharing.

Nonetheless. - pellet lime can still be dolomite or high cal. So my recommendation is dolomite lime - for his soil type. The reason being a focus on the soil structure via chemical side - increasing MG wouldn’t be bad on a 7 cec.

We can further enhance this soil based on biological activity which is a different discussion for another day revolving around soil aggregation.

Last edited:
Neil Kinsey
Ward Labs
Various agronomist - Ag PHD
Dr. William Albretch would all disagree

CA,MG, K saturations - not nesscarily ratios - is incredibly important for the chemical structure of the soil and creating chemical binding or holding - aggregation. Whereas saturation is directly related to cec. Although I know AG Phd is starting to see strong correlations between other ratios such as P and Zinc.

Nonetheless. - pellet lime can still be dolomite or high cal. So my recommendation is dolomite lime - for his soil type. The reason being a focus on the soil structure via chemical side - increasing MG wouldn’t be bad on a 7 cec.

We can further enhance this soil based on biological activity which is a different discussion for another day revolving around soil aggregation.
Saturation percentages are ratios. I have a PhD in soil science and had worked for the last several years as an Agronomist in the ag industry for a company I had to convince to stop using ratios. Did you not look at the paper? There are literally dozens of peer-reviewed studies that show it doesn't affect crop performance. There is no higher bar than peer reviewed published research. Show me data that they work and I'll believe you.

Saturation percentages are ratios. I have a PhD in soil science and had worked for the last several years as an Agronomist in the ag industry for a company I had to convince to stop using ratios. Did you not look at the paper? There are literally dozens of peer-reviewed studies that show it doesn't affect crop performance. There is no higher bar than peer reviewed published research. Show me data that they work and I'll believe you.
I did look at that paper. Thanks for sharing.

So do you believe pellet lime - derived from dolomite -source works for this persons goals? If so we are in agreement.

I’ve always felt it to be simple. Look at ph, look at saturations - pick lime that best fits those needs. If Ca is low and ph is adequate and the soil feels “ tight” - consider using gypsum to help porosity of the soil. After that let biology do the work (for deer plots!!).

As for the ratio of saying we need it to be 5-1 is different that adjusting a % based on the cec of the soil type, that’s what I meant by ratios Vs. Saturations.Excuse me if that was wrong. For example - having 60% CA and 20%mg on a lower cec soils vs. 70Ca and 10mg on a higher cec soil. Those are different ratios based on soil type.

I am not a phd but I work closes with Ward labs and several crop consultants who work on 1000s of acres and I’ve never heard anyone against focusing on base saturations for a soil structure perspective (not yield focused).

Is there any arguing that Ca is a larger molecule and can help soil porosity from a water infiltration perspective?

Just saying there isn’t a relationship between base sat and yield seems believable! I want to pick your brain more and I sent you a pm.

Last edited:
What am I missing?
Nothing. It's just the whole tenor of this thread! I should have done an unattached post, but I went "huh" at replacing a lime recommendation of 2 tons with 600 lbs.....I apologize for the escape of my inner child.

Last edited:
This is a high performance thread. It doubled the activity of my thread about kicking perennial clover out of a no-nothing perennial plot program.

And nobody even pulled out the lime rec chart from spectrum analytic. We could get this into the 80s for replies by sundown tomorrow with that.

IF youre growing rye well, you can steer your plot to a better place with a little lime at time. Seeing the 7 CEC, I'd say you'd be doing ok with even 1000 lbs/ acre.

Here's what I use36T13-1_21.jpg

IF youre growing rye well, you can steer your plot to a better place with a little lime at time. Seeing the 7 CEC, I'd say you'd be doing ok with even 1000 lbs/ acre.

Here's what I useView attachment 49369
Hmmmmmm..... looks like a gandy ass rig to me

bill

( sorry, man.....couldnt resist)

Nothing. It's just the whole tenor of this thread! I should have done an unattached post, but I went "huh" at replacing a lime recommendation of 2 tons with 600 lbs.....I apologize for the escape of my inner child.
That confused me as well. I can see some adjustment in tonnage with different CDC values, but 2 tons to 600 lbs makes no sense at all to me. I will say that there are some folks at my local coop that know their stuff pretty well...but there are others that likely came from Lowes or Walmart...