Lime?

wisconsinteacher

5 year old buck +
Looking at my soil sample, it states I need 2 ton/acre of 60-69 lime or 1.5 ton/Acre of 80-89 lime. I called the coop and they said to go with pellet lime and that 600# would be what I need. I'm wondering if going with 600# of pellet lime is better than the other options? I'm currently at 5.7 pH and the sample is trying to get me to 6.3 pH.

My plot is 1 acre in size and I can get an ATV in there with no problems.

I would use their advice

Looking at my soil sample, it states I need 2 ton/acre of 60-69 lime or 1.5 ton/Acre of 80-89 lime. I called the coop and they said to go with pellet lime and that 600# would be what I need. I'm wondering if going with 600# of pellet lime is better than the other options? I'm currently at 5.7 pH and the sample is trying to get me to 6.3 pH.

It is pretty tough to spread ag lime without the proper equipment. Ag lime is much less expensive than pellet lime for the same ph adjusting ability (calculating in CCE and such). I use Ag lime, but I rent a 3 ton lime buggy from the coop to spread it. If you are talking a single 1 acre plot and you only have an ATV, pellet lime may be your only practical option.

Having said that, 600 lbs does not sound righ t to me if the test is calling for 1.5 tons/ac of 80-89 CCE lime. Even if the pellet lime was 100 CCE, I would think you would need at least 80% of the 1.5 tons to get the same correction in the long haul.

I'd try to get the coop to explain to you how 600 lbs of pellet lime is the same as 1.5 ton of 80-80 CCE ag lime.

Thanks,

Jack

Can you post your soil test results?

If you're only talking an acre, I wouldn't even involve the coop. I'd go bagged pell lime and call it good. But let's make sure you're getting the right lime and the right amount first.

I'd try to get the coop to explain to you how 600 lbs of pellet lime is the same as 1.5 ton of 80-80 CCE ag lime.

I've had the co-op tell me I needed drastically less pel lime as well because it works faster or its more effective, yada yada.

I've had the co-op tell me I needed drastically less pel lime as well because it works faster or its more effective, yada yada.
Yes, that's the BS was trying to make sure he wasn't falling for. A farmer who is trying to maximize yield on an existing crop may want a fast acting lime to get to harvest, but in the long-run will correct with ag lime.

For food plotters, it is foolish to worry about the short-run or maximizing yield, especially with a small 1 acre plot. Instead you want to focus on long-term ph correction. We a have plenty of great deer crops like WR or Buckwheat and others that provide great deer food in poor pH soil while waiting for the soil to amend.

Perhaps the coop is thinking more like 600 lbs this year and 600 lbs next year. Split applications are useful in some cases. In sandy soil, lime moves pretty fast through it. One may get better results from a split application. With heavy clay, lime moves very slowly through the soil.

Thanks,

Jack

Can you post your soil test results?

If you're only talking an acre, I wouldn't even involve the coop. I'd go bagged pell lime and call it good. But let's make sure you're getting the right lime and the right amount first.

Sometimes we make the simple complex ... For an acre I agree, throw some lime out, 600 lbs if that makes you feel good, and call it a day.

Paralysis from analysis ...

Sometimes we make the simple complex ... For an acre I agree, throw some lime out, 600 lbs if that makes you feel good, and call it a day.

Paralysis from analysis ...
I've been waiting for a habitat thread I can sink my teeth into. The winter is getting long.

I like to know whether we're dealing with clay, sand, or something in between. I like to leave myself a little short on calcium if I can, so I can be on an annual application of gypsum program, at least for 2-3 years until the biology can get built up. Especially with a single acre, a guy can shop around and get the exact lime he wants, instead of taking whatever a sole supplier may have. You don't wanna be the one guy in the service area with sandy soil, and all they sell is calcitic pell lime.

Man, with one acre just put as much pellet lime as you can put out and have fun.

Buy 25 sacks of 40lb lime for 4$ a piece.

Probably a good probability that any bagged lime sold in WI is a Waukesha lime product which is made from limestone and thus calcium carbonate. Do with that as you wish.

Here is a soil sample. It was taken in September 2021. Last spring I added 300 pounds of pellet lime and 300 pounds of potash. My soil is more on the clay side of the spectrum. Definitely, not sandy.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 12.33.15 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 12.33.15 PM.png
    872 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Here is a soil sample. It was taken in September 2021. Last spring I added 300 pounds of pellet lime and 300 pounds of potash. My soil is more on the clay side of the spectrum. Definitely, not sandy.
Yeah, you don't look skewed too far either way. I'd feel good about any pell with those numbers. Remember 300 lbs/ac of gypsum while you're at the Menards.

I'd skip the fertilizer, T&M your crop, keep brassica component low (2-ish lbs/ac), and add your pellet lime. Given you already add 300 lbs, I'd shoot for another thousand lbs or so. You can split that if it is convenient.

It is pretty tough to spread ag lime without the proper equipment. Ag lime is much less expensive than pellet lime for the same ph adjusting ability (calculating in CCE and such). I use Ag lime, but I rent a 3 ton lime buggy from the coop to spread it. If you are talking a single 1 acre plot and you only have an ATV, pellet lime may be your only practical option.

Having said that, 600 lbs does not sound righ t to me if the test is calling for 1.5 tons/ac of 80-89 CCE lime. Even if the pellet lime was 100 CCE, I would think you would need at least 80% of the 1.5 tons to get the same correction in the long haul.

Thanks,

Jack
600 lbs of pelletized lime is the standard recommendation for when lime in general is recommended. It isn't based on a CCE rating. Pelletized lime is probably recommended in this case because of the small area and ease of spreading the material. I think if you are needing to lime a kill plot that is less than 0.5 acre, just spreading ag lime by hand probably makes the most sense. Otherwise, I would use pelletized lime and a spreader. It will likely take a few years at 600 lbs/acre, but it is easy and efficient.

600 lbs of pelletized lime is the standard recommendation for when lime in general is recommended. It isn't based on a CCE rating. Pelletized lime is probably recommended in this case because of the small area and ease of spreading the material. I think if you are needing to lime a kill plot that is less than 0.5 acre, just spreading ag lime by hand probably makes the most sense. Otherwise, I would use pelletized lime and a spreader. It will likely take a few years at 600 lbs/acre, but it is easy and efficient.
Makes no sense to me, a "standard" recommendation. Lime recommendations are generally based on the current pH and desired pH based on the crop. They are generally relate to the CCE of the lime being used.

Makes no sense to me, a "standard" recommendation. Lime recommendations are generally based on the current pH and desired pH based on the crop. They are generally relate to the CCE of the lime being used.
Yes, and some labs or manufacturers use RNV for making recommendations. Typically, pel lime is said to have 85-95% ECCE. Regardless, you won't see rates above 600 lbs/acre for a few reasons, but mostly because of cost. With pel lime you are paying a premium for feasibility. Something else you should consider is that A LOT of pel lime is applied as a bulk blend of dry fertilizer.

Yes, and some labs or manufacturers use RNV for making recommendations. Typically, pel lime is said to have 85-95% ECCE. Regardless, you won't see rates above 600 lbs/acre for a few reasons, but mostly because of cost. With pel lime you are paying a premium for feasibility. Something else you should consider is that A LOT of pel lime is applied as a bulk blend of dry fertilizer.
Again, any lab limiting lime recommendation based on cost, I'd completely avoid. Every lab I've used recommend what you need to adjust the pH and lets the cost up to you. I primarily use Virginia Tech because they are free, but most labs provide similar results and recommendations.

Thanks for all the info so far. I have a lot to learn about pH and lime. The coop did say I should use pellet lime because it is easier to spread and do without a lime cart.

Thanks for all the info so far. I have a lot to learn about pH and lime. The coop did say I should use pellet lime because it is easier to spread and do without a lime cart.
also gives you a good workout if you do it 20lbs at a clip in a Solo spreader..haha..(hope you have a wheeled spreader!)