Leftovers :)

Bluecollaroutdoors

5 year old buck +
Here are two bucks that are still kicking in Wisconsin for next season. They are standing in a 1/4 acre plot of ag soybeans overseeded with 100 lbs of winter rye. I got perfect rains after I seeded the rye and it really filled in the holes as the beans were eaten. 1/4 acre plot and it didnt get wiped out. Its 75 yards from the truck and I had a few fun sits there watching deer go through the plot into a rainng acorn flat and out into the neighbors corn. All the deer would pass by and keep gong if you didnt want to shoot them. Zero risk 100% reward.
Cdyi0012_zpsojqwtvgr.jpg

Cdyi0022_zpsi8ozqweb.jpg

Same plot in summer.
20151002_170140_zpscde92kqm.jpg

Good looking bucks! Good luck with them.

They should both be hosses by this fall.

If I get a chance I will add some velvet pics of the first buck and the sickening video of him standing at 30 yards with my empty #1 stand in the background opening PM of rifle season. Maybe I can add the same video of him on my #2 stand...again empty. Oh yeah he went by yet a third camera all at thirty yards. What a jerk!

My neighbor said he passed him the day after the snow photo was taken. I think he is nuts but either way happy to see him alive. He looks beefy in that picture but on the hoof November 7th he looked like a 2.5 with a big rack. Hard to say.

In my high pressure brown its down area those are the poor mans pope and youngs already. But yeah I cant wait. #2 is a surprise I don't think I have seen before. #1 was a summer homebody. No pics Oct 1 to November 1. He came back a few times in the rut and three days before gun.

Nice :)

Whatever his age, #1 pic isn't hurting for calorie intake !! Both nice bucks.

All the age talk doesnt mean much to me. When you hunt a small property with almost no control over age structure that's a nice buck at 2/3/4. Early November when I turned him right at my stand from 100 to 40 yards the only thing I was I am trying to figure out was where I was going to kill him.

Some people might not like that but its the truth for me.

Summer pics
20150718_194224_zpshowsuwum.jpg

20150718_195121_zpsl6ckmxmi.jpg

IMG_0564_zpspie9fodo.jpg

PICT0033_zpstpheyo7y.jpeg

Opening day of gun season.

Screenshot_2015-11-26-14-00-14_zps2ehbiyvx.png

I should add this guy too.
1 pic all year before he came around christmas day. The next day he showed in daylight and was 10 steps from a shot when he ran a fawn off the trail. 5 minutes later he left her but was straight downwind and got me.

blind_zpscufrdwt5.jpg

Side angle looks totally different. Looks blind in one eye. I have a video or two and he is super paranoid.
MFDC0177_zpskmup9eue.jpg

All the age talk doesnt mean much to me. When you hunt a small property with almost no control over age structure that's a nice buck at 2/3/4. Early November when I turned him right at my stand from 100 to 40 yards the only thing I was I am trying to figure out was where I was going to kill him.

Some people might not like that but its the truth for me.

You are not alone. That buck is a no doubt shooter for me too.

If I show you what I get on camera most would say hold out for buck 1/2/3 that are bigger. Most years I never even get one look at the big giants.

Truththfully that buck will fire me up every day I hunt and I would be be thrilled to harvest him even if the guy down the road who shoots a Pope and Young every year dissaproves. The top end of what wanders through my land every year would make most people jealous. The truth is they just dont live, bed or eat on my property with regularity. 10 years into this saga the sightings and opportunities were at an all time high this season. We hunt a little smarter each year and learn a little bit from the previous years near misses. That buck at 100 inches on my land from the stand I picked, hung, trimmed etc would mean more to me than a 170 off so and sos land where they see deer like that as no big deal. Personal pride in your piece of dirt I guess.
We had a great season and I was was yards away from a shot at a buck that was 150 minimum. I cant complain. It was a blast.

Whatever his age, #1 pic isn't hurting for calorie intake !! Both nice bucks.

This was real bull of the woods body wise this year. I was lucky enough to have two encounters with this guy this year. Once getting busted by a doe in a light mist that I didn't even realize he was following. From 100 yards all I had to see what his neck and shoulders to know it was a shooter. Second time range got me. I shot for 32 and he was 37 yards. That 5 yards is where my arrow falls off the table. Shot was very low and behind the heart. No lung blood, no guts, no belly hair, no deer unfortunately. The jury is still out on his status. I was really excited to put in more time looking for him the weekend WI got a foot of snow. That's a shot that still wakes me up in the middle of the night.

PICT0033_zpstaxcxhj4.jpg

Another angle. No idea what he scores but I would have shoulder mounted him if I got him with the bow on my own place.
PICT0035_zpszxv8if9k.jpg

Heck with what the guy down the road says. If he moves you and is worth mounting "like you said" he's worth shooting.

I agree that buck in post 11 is blind in one eye. Didn't help you with his nose though :)

This was real bull of the woods body wise this year. I was lucky enough to have two encounters with this guy this year. Once getting busted by a doe in a light mist that I didn't even realize he was following. From 100 yards all I had to see what his neck and shoulders to know it was a shooter. Second time range got me. I shot for 32 and he was 37 yards. That 5 yards is where my arrow falls off the table. Shot was very low and behind the heart. No lung blood, no guts, no belly hair, no deer unfortunately. The jury is still out on his status. I was really excited to put in more time looking for him the weekend WI got a foot of snow. That's a shot that still wakes me up in the middle of the night.

PICT0033_zpstaxcxhj4.jpg

Another angle. No idea what he scores but I would have shoulder mounted him if I got him with the bow on my own place.
PICT0035_zpszxv8if9k.jpg

You accomplished more this season that I did for sure. Never saw a buck like that. Had a few pictures, zero sightings.

My rule for what you shoot on my farm: If you are happy when you walk up to him, that's a successful hunt. Doesn't really matter if some people have 200" deer available. I don't. And don't think I ever will. Standards have to fit the animals available. Otherwise hunters get discouraged and take all of the fun out of it.

I hope you see him next year :)

-John

I just hope he is still alive. I definately didn't have alot of blood and it was just a dripping liver like trail. I hit low enough I initially though I missed. But how low can you be if there is no white belly hair on contact? Just a slow drip of red blood. 200 yards later we hit a thicket so bad that on a windy day we were physically loosing my friends who had no idea where to turn to get out of a huge swamp. I waited 7 hours before I tracked because it was below freezing and I would have traded a kidney to find him.

Here is another shot. His mass is awesome. Tine length also awesome. I vote he is awesome.

PICT0025_zps7zbhwxq1.jpg

My motto is, if it makes you excited and it's a buck you'd be proud of for harvesting, then he's a shooter. After all, if you keep holding off due to size and age, you may be turning in tag soup for many years like we have at our place. If you're happy with your decision, that's all that matters.

Bluecollar - I love the 2nd pic at post #14. I like when you can see a top-side view of the neck and there's very little difference in the thickness of the neck and the top of the chest / shoulders. The " tree-stump, no-neck " look !! I'd have shot that deer in a flash. Score inches aren't everything.