Summer plot soil builder

Bladesmith

Yearling... With promise
I have a 1 acre plot that I had in cereal rye last fall and because of poor soil and drought it did not do very good. I am wanting to plant a inexpensive soil builder this spring that I can crimp down after planting rye back into it this fall. Any ideas on an inexpensive crop that would work good for this? Would a spring planting of cereal rye be a good choice?
Thanks

An oat and red clover mix would be a low cost mix that you could plant in the spring as soon as the ground thaws. The clovers will likely survive the crimping, so if that is an issue you could go with an oat/field pea mixture in early spring. If you have crappy soil, it would be good to plant a mix that can be planted pretty early when the soil moisture is still high. You'll get some impressive tonnage with an oat/pea mixture and you also could throw in some other random seeds you have lying around for a little variety.

Buckwheat is a good one and you could probably get two crops out of it before planting rye into it for the fall. Only issue may be if you have have high deer numbers that may hammer it. I have a similar plot that I have been nursing along and that was the rotation I used to start.

An oat and red clover mix would be a low cost mix that you could plant in the spring as soon as the ground thaws. The clovers will likely survive the crimping, so if that is an issue you could go with an oat/field pea mixture in early spring. If you have crappy soil, it would be good to plant a mix that can be planted pretty early when the soil moisture is still high. You'll get some impressive tonnage with an oat/pea mixture and you also could throw in some other random seeds you have lying around for a little variety.
With oat/pea mix can I just broadcast and then culti pack in the seed, or do I need to lightly disc then seed and pack. I don't have a drill.

You would need to lightly disk the oat/pea mix in since the seeds are pretty large and they need to be covered by dirt to have a good germination rate in my experience.

If you are really ambitious, you could plant an oat/pea mix as soon as the ground thaws and then follow up with buckwheat in june and your winter rye in august or early september.

You would need to lightly disk the oat/pea mix in since the seeds are pretty large and they need to be covered by dirt to have a good germination rate in my experience.

If you are really ambitious, you could plant an oat/pea mix as soon as the ground thaws and then follow up with buckwheat in june and your winter rye in august or early september.
I like the thoughts of the oat/pea mix then see how the rye plot responds this fall. Thanks

One last question, in early September can I just broadcast rye in the oats/peas and then just crimp down?

One last question, in early September can I just broadcast rye in the oats/peas and then just crimp down?
Winter rye is the one seed that I've been able to broadcast and walk away and still have good germination. Crimping it down would likely improve the germination rate. You might also get some volunteer oat and pea growth since their seeds will be mature by September.

All great ideas. I like Buckwheat to build OM. It will grow almost anywhere. So will rye. Can't go wrong with either.

If you like supporting bees and turkeys, Buckwheat is the way to go. When your field is in flower, you will almost literally be able to hear it before you see it with all the bees you'll attract.

So cool @Natty Bumppo. I’ve had fields like that but not with buckwheat. One reason I asked where he lives because it doesn’t seem to do great down here in Deep South.

So cool @Natty Bumppo. I’ve had fields like that but not with buckwheat. One reason I asked where he lives because it doesn’t seem to do great down here in Deep South.
I'm in central Missouri

Thanks for suggestions everyone. I do appreciate them.👍👍

Oh, interesting. I didn't know that. Funny in my Buckwheat fields last spring there must have been some crimson clover seed in the bag because I saw some CC coming up. Heard CC doesn't do well in the North but it appeared to be thriving. And I am in a VERY cold zone 5...due to my elevation it's probably more like a 4.

And I'm not sure why

I have had minimal success with buckwheat as well in east texas

bill

Oh, interesting. I didn't know that. Funny in my Buckwheat fields last spring there must have been some crimson clover seed in the bag because I saw some CC coming up. Heard CC doesn't do well in the North but it appeared to be thriving. And I am in a VERY cold zone 5...due to my elevation it's probably more like a 4.
CC grows like a weed here. I mean 4-5 feet tall!
IMG_0727.jpeg

And I'm not sure why

I have had minimal success with buckwheat as well in east texas

bill
Yep. Exact same. Watched sturgis 6 years ago. Threw buckwheat out so thick it covered soil. Horrible plot. Ha

I am curious as I have been reading about barley. Not sure if a spring planting would get high enough to crimp.

Albert Lea seeds sells this summer tonnage mix that is as cheap as a bag of peas and will provide much more biomass, IMO. I have not used it but others on this forum have, looks to be a good blend for soil building and even if you broadcast heavy at 75 lbs/acre you're still around $75 for the acre with more diversity.

I'm going to try drilling some this summer I think even though I'm not really in soil building mode, I'd like some biomass to nurse along my fall brassicas in a few areas.

Wow Brian that a great price. Curious on shipping costs but the seed has a great soil building quality and its reasonable. Ty for posting