Summer plot soil builder

Local beekeepers will curse you, though. Buckwheat makes an “interesting” tasting honey, and makes a lot of it. Straight up ruins marketability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I am actually thinking about taking up bee keeping this spring. Might have to rethink that. Or rethink buckwheat to build OM.

Thanks.

Interesting. I am actually thinking about taking up bee keeping this spring. Might have to rethink that. Or rethink buckwheat to build OM.

Thanks.

I like buckwheat honey. It's very dark and flavorful. It's certainly not for everyone, but it might be worth trying at least one go-round, especially in the beginning so that the bees have a lot of honey for the winter (take that with a grain of salt; I don't know much about beekeeping). If you're interested in making mead, I think buckwheat honey could make a product superior to clover honey, which can be cloyingly sweet.

For you guys with the hot and dry climate why not plant a mix of sun hemp, chicory, and samfoin? They should all do well in those conditions and give plenty of benefit to the soil and deer.

I have read quite a bit about it and it sounds like a winner with the exception that sainfoin is not suppose to be browsed for the first year.

For you guys with the hot and dry climate why not plant a mix of sun hemp, chicory, and samfoin? They should all do well in those conditions and give plenty of benefit to the soil and deer.

I’ve been using a lot of chicory. It’s just expensive so I put more if it in Perennial plots. Birdsfoot trefoil too.

I planted two fields with that plus some yellow and white sweet clover. We will see how it does.

I’ve been using a lot of chicory. It’s just expensive so I put more if it in Perennial plots. Birdsfoot trefoil too.

I planted two fields with that plus some yellow and white sweet clover. We will see how it does.
I really liked having yellow sweet clover in my plot last summer. What a jungle! Bees loved it. I just wish I had more horsepower when it came time to mow. Rye/Sweet clover is nothing to be tangled with on foot. I don't know what it'll look like this year because I don't think I added back any more sweet clover, but had a banger of a seed crop on the stuff in the field.

And chicory is expensive. I keep writing the check though. I've gotten 5 years out of my oldest plot with chicory in it, and it's still very well represented. I keep wanting to try new things in the spring because some of my plots just didn't put out the growth last year with the drought. I had bare spots in my multi-year perennial plot and I think it was just because it baked out there and the subsoil was just dust. Amazing it lived really. The one plot I restarted just sat there and baked 100% dead for months.

I like buckwheat honey. It's very dark and flavorful. It's certainly not for everyone, but it might be worth trying at least one go-round, especially in the beginning so that the bees have a lot of honey for the winter (take that with a grain of salt; I don't know much about beekeeping). If you're interested in making mead, I think buckwheat honey could make a product superior to clover honey, which can be cloyingly sweet.

Thanks Telemark. Good point. We do maple syrup as well and I do prefer dark and flavorful maple syrup, so maybe I'll like the buckwheat honey too.

Thanks.

I would try to find some buckwheat honey to see if you like it. Many people do, I’m just not one of them. If you do, there’s no reason not to plant it.

Soil building means you improve your soil. Any soil problems you have? Predominate weeds? What was the spot before you food plotted, how long has it been a plot?

I have plantain naturally in my plot. IT is tough as nails, but is not aggressive. That would be a good drought resistant plant to use.

How dense is your deer population? You might need a desirable plot to keep deer in the area over the summer.

Found $50 for 50 pounds of buckwheat for sale in michigan if anyone is interested and that is including shipping.

Found $50 for 50 pounds of buckwheat for sale in michigan if anyone is interested and that is including shipping.
That's a good price. Normally runs $70-90 from what I've seen.

Brian. Do you use buckwheat in your plots.

I stopped when it got over $50. Hopefully it starts to come back down in price.

Now I buy a bag about a bag a year and mix with fall grains for a candy crop.

Albert lea seed company from Minnesota is the source. The have seed dealers throughout the US. Shipping from Minnesota for 50 pounds was $50. But because they are sending it via semi load they are only charging $5 per 50 pounds. They have lots of different seeds.

The only question have is can you broadcast a summer release blend with 10 different seed blends without the small seed sifting to the bottom. Curious on everyone's opinion

I live about an hour and 15 minutes from Albert Lea. They have some dealers that are near to my travels, may give the buckwheat a shot again this year in a blend I create.

The only question have is can you broadcast a summer release blend with 10 different seed blends without the small seed sifting to the bottom. Curious on everyone's opinion

I still split my big seeds and little seeds. I put the little seeds on with the blower.

How big a spot are you doing at a time. The small seed slowly make their way to the bottom. The bumpier the ride, the quicker it happens. 1/2 acre plots or so, no worries really.. There may be exceptions. But grains n clover seem ok to me. Sometimes I spread fertilizer mixed in too. On poor quality sandy soil it's pretty much mandatory to get ok crops. Atleast for 4 or 5 years until organic matter gets up there and wood residue rots too.

Usually stir up the stuff in the spreader every 1/8th acre or so. Definitely If I have to travel from one plot to another, some are rough rides between spots.

No issue. I did a little video on it (above). I’ve done it on mixes far before my own business. It’ll work on Grants mix or similar.

When it becomes issue is when you have two very different sized seeds. When it’s a diverse mix - it’s not an issue. Heck I even did it in a 2 row planter - with great success.

Drought wiped out my summer plots as well, so that is something to consider when planting warm season blends to build the soil. I've never had a failure with the oat/pea mixture when planted in early spring though. The lower temps and better rainfall seems to make the early spring plantings more of a sure thing.

But realistically, there's no reason you couldn't plant the oats and peas in early spring and then plant your warm season summer blend in June or July.

@GMan5465 ^ this was my thought too. With our short growing season i wonder if you'd do well planting earlier with something that germs at a cooler temp and gets roots going before it gets as hot and dry?

Real world advertises even frost seeding this soil charge blend with barley, red clover, peas, and rape. I kind of ripped it off last year and just did forage barley, frosty balansa, red clover, and rape and it worked ok where I did it in my yard at home. Didn't end up getting the stuff up in northern mn planted with it like i intended to though.. https://www.realworldwildlifeproduc...charge-soil-builder-blend-2022-pilot-program/