Jewel Weed...

chummer

5 year old buck +
It seems every year at this time deer disappear from my plots. I always forget about Jewel weed. I have acres of it around me, it grows in every wet area. The browsing is unbelievable on it. Has anyone else experienced this. Could a common weed take over a deer's diet to the point plots are almost abandoned. This is 4 years now I have noticed this trend. It works out great because I did my final mowing and deer won't start hitting them again till September.

I wouldn't say they abandon everything else for it here, but they do hammer it hard.

They sure hit it hard by me as well...doesnt take them long to go from thigh high to ankle high!

yup Jewel weed is big draw here. I have a little wet spot along the edge of my back yard and the Jewel was waist high about 3 weeks, but now its like its completely gone...just short nibbled stems with the tips turning brown.

Deer are browsers and by nature they will eat whatever suits them at that time and it tends to be different things. Jewel weed is no different - when it gets to a certain stage the deer will use it but will use other things as well. I have 100's of acres of soybeans around me and the deer will still browse on other plants even at the same edge of a soybean field. Same happens with other plants, berries and nuts as they become available to reach that stage the deer like.