It’s Spring!

5 year old buck +
Well, it is officially Spring, and here in NW Missouri we are changing from a week of winter weather with snow, low teens, single-digit wind chills and frozen ground to the mid-50s today and up to 70 later this week. It’s as if someone flipped a switch this morning. The 14-day forecast has only two nights forecast below freezing, with lots of highs in the 50s and 60s, so the green up will be quick.

In Northern Minnesota (where we will be on Thursday), the windchill is -3, they had another 7” of snow over the weekend and more snow is in the forecast. I vividly recall waking up on the first day of spring when we lived in Hallock, MN to -10 and thinking “It’s warmer in Alaska. That year we went ice fishing on Mother’s Day (opening weekend) just to say “we made the opener.”

Whatever your weather, may the changing seasons remind you of how wonderful creation is, and the importance of our stewardship of the land we enjoy.

Last edited:
I love all the seasons, I just wish winter ended on the first day of spring, summer ended the first day of fall, ect...

Spring isnt in the air in northern Wisconsin, nor is it in the 10 day forcast. We have snow coming, and every night in the teens or lower 20's. Highs in the days may reach 40, so that is a plus, but until it happens, it is just a tease.

I still have around 3 feet of snow on the ground, with at least 6 foot snow banks surrounding my driveway. I have one pile about 15 feet high, and 40 feet around, I will probably be mowing around that in late June.

I love all the seasons, I just wish winter ended on the first day of spring, summer ended the first day of fall, ect...
As much as I miss the Northwoods of Minnesota (Tower, Togo, Effie, not Hallock), I love the fact that NW Missouri truly has four seasons, and each is about 3 months long and follows the calendar. As much as I hate summer, I know that it is only three months long, not seven or eight months like in the California where we lived, nor winters that start with snow in September and end with snow in May. Gee, I recall the 4th of July Parade in Tower MN being snowed out in 1983. That’s just a little “too much“ winter for me!

I don't think I'll be able to get in to my cabin for at least another month. I've got 4' of snow from the county plow, and probably 3' of snow the rest of the drive way, and 5' drifted around the cabin. I really wanted to be planting in two weeks, but there is no way. Barely gonna get above freezing throughout the 14 day forecast. Until that snow melts, all I can provide is memes and collapse info.

Well, it is officially Spring, and here in NW Missouri we are changing from a week of winter weather with snow, low teens, single-digit wind chills and frozen ground to the mid-50s today and up to 70 later this week. It’s as if someone flipper a switch this morning. The 14 day forecast has only two nights forecast below freezing, with lots of highs in the 50s and 60s, so the green up will be quick.

In Northern Minnesota (where we will be on Thursday), the windchill is -3, they had another 7” of snow over the weekend and more snow is in the forecast. I vividly recall waking up on the first day of spring when we lived in Hallock, MN to -10 and thinking “It’s warmer in Alaska. That year we went ice fishing on Mother’s Day (opening weekend) just to day “we made the opener.”

Whatever your weather, may the changing seasons remind you of how wonderful creation is, and the importance of our stewardship of the land we enjoy.

Pictures of grass, planting food plots, trees in blossom please, I am craving that!

Pictures of grass, planting food plots, trees in blossom please, I am craving that!

4wanderingeyes, as one of the few token Florida (albeit NORTH FL) guys on the forum...

Huckleberry.jpg

All are photos I've taken since early February of this year. 😊 First a few from a local park close to my work where I walk during lunch...

20230314_132154 (2).jpg
20230313_123621.jpg
20230227_154515 (2).jpg20230302_123443 (2).jpg

Rest from around my homesite...

20230312_154542.jpg
20230304_093347 (2).jpg
20230312_155040 (2).jpg
20230312_183221 (2).jpg
20230318_174030 (2).jpg

Love it!

I usually take a couple vacations each winter, this year we skipped the first vacation, so I haven’t seen green anything since like September. But I am a couple weeks away from taking a warm vacation, so I will see it soon!

This is my daily view, and there are a few deer in this picture.

image.jpg

I'm finally getting a few weeks in at our place outside of Phoenix. Everyone here is complaining that the winter has been the coolest one they know. Lots of rain too. (likely a good thing with the need to fill those resivours.) Temps still struggle to hit 70's during the day and breezy and cloudy since we got here. Have not worn shorts yet.....grin. Strange year for weather.

Spring isnt in the air in northern Wisconsin, nor is it in the 10 day forcast. We have snow coming, and every night in the teens or lower 20's. Highs in the days may reach 40, so that is a plus, but until it happens, it is just a tease.

I still have around 3 feet of snow on the ground, with at least 6 foot snow banks surrounding my driveway. I have one pile about 15 feet high, and 40 feet around, I will probably be mowing around that in late June.
As much as I love the Northwoods I don't envy the extra 6-8 weeks of winter vs 150 miles south.

Early Summer mosquitoes and deer flies are worse than the Winter cold in the North Woods!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Early Summer mosquitoes and deer flies are worse than the Winter cold in the North Woods!!!

Not really sure why, but last year in my area, we had a few mosquitos and ticks early, like May, then hardly anything after that.

Yeah, but that one weekend in October is really nice.

4wanderingeyes, as one of the few token Florida (albeit NORTH FL) guys on the forum...

View attachment 50943

All are photos I've taken since early February of this year. 😊 First a few from a local park close to my work where I walk during lunch...

View attachment 50944
View attachment 50945
View attachment 50946View attachment 50947

Rest from around my homesite...

View attachment 50948
View attachment 50949
View attachment 50950
View attachment 50951
View attachment 50952
Can I’m a sucker for Spanish moss. Awesome pic.

And it doesn’t get better than tombstone.

This part Icelandic Minnesota boy has a tough time with Iowa/Missouri heat in July/August! I never knew heat & humidity could hit that level . Feels like the Equator!

Sure is nice to get down there and shed hunt right now. Good escape !

I planted leaf lettuce seed today in a raised bed. Hope it takes. Those Northern Florida photos almost make me want to look for a farm down there.

I don't think I'll be able to get in to my cabin for at least another month. I've got 4' of snow from the county plow, and probably 3' of snow the rest of the drive way, and 5' drifted around the cabin. I really wanted to be planting in two weeks, but there is no way. Barely gonna get above freezing throughout the 14 day forecast. Until that snow melts, all I can provide is memes and collapse info.
And a fine job at the yeoman's work you do, never stop, even if someday you get to that cabin.

Those Northern Florida photos almost make me want to look for a farm down there.
Depending on fronts that push down, February can be heavenly spring like, though increases odds of late freezes zapping everything.

Got lucky this go round... reported temps hit 33 this weekend with just enough pockets of frost to nip the tips of some fig leafs (bushes already fully leafed out) and brown a few spots in open lawn, but pears, persimmons, wild black cherries, blackberries, etc... all look to have fared pretty well.

This week we nearly jump into summer.

Screenshot_20230322_103900_DuckDuckGo~3.jpg

And it doesn’t get better than tombstone.
Couldn't agree more... there's a person reading this who hasn't watched it (would surprise me), can't recommend it enough... truly a great, great movie. 👍

Film probably less folks have seen is Once Upon A Time In The West... like Tombstone, has a few all time favorite scenes including this opening one. Got Henry Fonda as a ruthless villain played so well it's hard to believe, as kind-hearted as most roles he played tended to be.

Last edited:
Depending on fronts that push down, February can be heavenly spring like, though increases odds of late freezes zapping everything.

Got lucky this go round... reported temps hit 33 this weekend with just enough pockets of frost to nip the tips of some fig leafs (bushes already fully leafed out) and brown a few spots in open lawn, but pears, persimmons, wild black cherries, blackberries, etc... all look to have fared pretty well.

This week we nearly jump into summer.

View attachment 51008

Not fair!

8E465E80-CA60-4F5A-BB29-C95A4578B5B4.png