Frost & Pears

White Oak

5 year old buck +
It seems every year here in VA we get warm weather starting in Feb , and now on March 10 th my pears are about to blossom out . Monday Morning it's forecasted to get down to 30 degrees at 6 am and 32 degrees at 7 am , and rise up to 60 by the end of the day. If this forecast is correct , will one hour of 30 to 32 degree weather be enough to ruin my crop ?.

I guess it depends on the variety....I've heard frost doesn't bother Doc's Special pears. I have Kieffer , NN Wild Deer Pear and Dr Deer Pear's blossoming. Last year a frost got the DR Deer's and Kieffers....and One out of three NN Wild Deer pear was loaded with pears.

Attachments

• 100_2028.JPG
    100_2028.JPG
    353.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 100_2031.JPG
    100_2031.JPG
    520.6 KB · Views: 15
I would say you are safe at 30 degrees. Your blooms are what I would call "full white" to "early bloom." At that stage 27 degrees should give about a 10% kill. Once they come on out a little, 30 degrees becomes a little more dangerous, but to get a significant kill, you probably would need to dip below 27 or 28.

I would say you are safe at 30 degrees. Your blooms are what I would call "full white" to "early bloom." At that stage 27 degrees should give about a 10% kill. Once they come on out a little, 30 degrees becomes a little more dangerous, but to get a significant kill, you probably would need to dip below 27 or 28.
Thanks for the Info Native .

We hit a 25 degree night, but it appears that most of my pears on high ground have not been killed. I have undamaged fruit set on most. Will check low ground soon.

We hit 14 two nights ago. Temps stayed there for a couple hours. I’m guessing everything is toast here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ You might be surprised. I have an asian pear that looks like it has a ton of blossoms starting today, and we hit 19 a few nights ago. If they were already flowering, that's a different story! Hopefully some survived!

Buds are swelling and leaves just starting to pop here. Should start seeing some blossoms within a week on the pears.

Couldn’t find any triple 10 so went with triple 12 this spring, almost have everything pruned now too. Looks like highs in the 50’s and rain all next week.