Chestnut Hill Outdoors

White Oak

5 year old buck +
I bought two Chestnut Hill Outdoors potted "Dr Deer pears" at Walmart back in 2019 . They have been excellent growers and were loaded with blossoms this spring....unfortunately they got hit with frost the last 2 years and killed all the blossoms. Most likely It's the location I planted all my pears and no fault of the trees. Walmart no longer stocks any of Chestnut Hills pears for some reason . LOL Chestnut Hill keeps using the same "Dr Deer pear photo" and the last couple years the tree was called "Trophy pear" NOW it's called Last Supper Pear..... For potted Wildlife trees Chestnut hill has some of the best....BUT it seems like Walmart only carries mostly chestnuts. I'm going to e mail Walmart and try to get them to stock Last Supper pears https://chestnuthilloutdoors.com/shop/last-supper-pear/

Why not just order what you want from chestnut hill? Seems more efficient to me.

Nativ Nurseries had a similar pear that they called the wild deer pear. Probably the fastest growing pear trees we have planted. Unfortunately, they have stopped selling it. I will have to look into the Dr. Deer Pear. It is quite a bit more expensive though.

Why not just order what you want from chestnut hill? Seems more efficient to me.I'

Why not just order what you want from chestnut hill? Seems more efficient to me.
I do order trees online , but I'd say it's more efficient to look the trees over in person and pick out the trees I WANT and not pay shipping.

Nativ Nurseries had a similar pear that they called the wild deer pear. Probably the fastest growing pear trees we have planted. Unfortunately, they have stopped selling it. I will have to look into the Dr. Deer Pear. It is quite a bit more expensive though.
I believe a lot of these wild pears are Callery pears or Callery hybrids with larger, golf ball size fruit. Since Nativ was selling seedlings, they found that some of the seedlings were reverting back to the smaller Callery fruits. The proliferation of small fruit that can be eaten by birds is one of the main reasons that Callery pears are invasive. I have read that is the reason Nativ quit selling the wild pear seedlings. Not sure if it is true or not.

I believe a lot of these wild pears are Callery pears or Callery hybrids with larger, golf ball size fruit. Since Nativ was selling seedlings, they found that some of the seedlings were reverting back to the smaller Callery fruits. The proliferation of small fruit that can be eaten by birds is one of the main reasons that Callery pears are invasive. I have read that is the reason Nativ quit selling the wild pear seedlings. Not sure if it is true or not.
That is very interesting. I will have to let them mature to see for sure. If they end up being callery pears, I think I can just top work them and graft something else to the rootstock.

I do order trees online , but I'd say it's more efficient to look the trees over in person and pick out the trees I WANT and not pay shipping.
Fair enough

Spot on with both reasons as to why they quit. I planted 10 about 3 years ago and they do grow fast. I had 1 flower last year and the biggest the pears got were nickel sized with most being dime sized. I had another flower this year and it is looking like the pears from the other last year. Drop time was from Thanksgiving to Christmas with a few hanging on into January. Im in zone 7.
That is very interesting. I will have to let them mature to see for sure. If they end up being callery pears, I think I can just top work them and graft something else to the rootstock.
I am in the same boat. I just grafted 2 of my NN pears to different varieties this past Saturday. My first time grafting and no sign that they took so far. I'm optimistic that they'll take.

Correct I have
I'm in the same boat as Brushypines..... I started with 5 or 6 " NN Wild Deer pear trees" and they are FAST growers . One got ran over by a tractor , one was in the woods in a tree tube and never really grew (too shady) , one I dug up to plant a crabapple in it's spot. So now I'm down to 3 "wild deer pears" one planted in the front yard and two in my hunting tree plot. My Tree plot has 7 pear trees 2 " NN wild deer pears" 2 "Dr deer Pears" 2 "kieffers" 1 Moonglow. ALL my pear trees were loaded with blossoms this spring but got hit by frost. It appears I got lucky and one of my NN Wild Deer pears somehow avoided the frost , and is loaded with small pears right now. I'm looking forward to see how big they will get. Since I only have 2 NN wild deer pears...if the pears only get to nickel or dime size I may just leave them...as long as the deer eat the pears.

I know many places sell pears....Blue hill, Hallman farms , Chestnut hill,....even Whitetail Crabs has a Rut Rage pear.....I did plant 2 rut rages in the front yard last week.... But for those like me that the NN Wild Deer pear appealed too, I think the Wildlife pear that The wildlife group sells would be the closest option and it's grafted so shouldn't have any issues like NN pear. Picture of The wildlife pear below

Attachments

• 2023-04-21 (2).png
    2023-04-21 (2).png
    489.6 KB · Views: 13
Correct I have

I'm in the same boat as Brushypines..... I started with 5 or 6 " NN Wild Deer pear trees" and they are FAST growers . One got ran over by a tractor , one was in the woods in a tree tube and never really grew (too shady) , one I dug up to plant a crabapple in it's spot. So now I'm down to 3 "wild deer pears" one planted in the front yard and two in my hunting tree plot. My Tree plot has 7 pear trees 2 " NN wild deer pears" 2 "Dr deer Pears" 2 "kieffers" 1 Moonglow. ALL my pear trees were loaded with blossoms this spring but got hit by frost. It appears I got lucky and one of my NN Wild Deer pears somehow avoided the frost , and is loaded with small pears right now. I'm looking forward to see how big they will get. Since I only have 2 NN wild deer pears...if the pears only get to nickel or dime size I may just leave them...as long as the deer eat the pears.

I know many places sell pears....Blue hill, Hallman farms , Chestnut hill,....even Whitetail Crabs has a Rut Rage pear.....I did plant 2 rut rages in the front yard last week.... But for those like me that the NN Wild Deer pear appealed too, I think the Wildlife pear that The wildlife group sells would be the closest option and it's grafted so shouldn't have any issues like NN pear. Picture of The wildlife pear below
The Gilmers Christmas pear I got from TWG this year have really shot up and budded out later than I expected. At least 2 weeks later than the NN pear with a supposed drop time of December-January. This year could be an outlier with them being planted in Dec. of 2022, but if that remains, it could help out with losing pears due to early spring frosts. I'd like to get a Ms. Laneene and a good eating pear from the TWG this fall. Pears grow well in my area and are the easiest trees for me to maintain.

The Gilmers Christmas pear I got from TWG this year have really shot up and budded out later than I expected. At least 2 weeks later than the NN pear with a supposed drop time of December-January. This year could be an outlier with them being planted in Dec. of 2022, but if that remains, it could help out with losing pears due to early spring frosts. I'd like to get a Ms. Laneene and a good eating pear from the TWG this fall. Pears grow well in my area and are the easiest trees for me to maintain.
Pear trees grow well here.....BUT the last two years frost got most of the crop....only one pear tree out of 7 is growing pears right now . With that said I still might order 4 pear trees from The Wildlife group...if so a Gilmers Christmas and Wildlife pear will be two of them.

I have about 30 pears. One of those is Dr. Deer pear. It was one of the first to fruit and started last year. The pears were about nickel size. I had probably a dozen pears. They hung on through January at least. I tried one when it was in the mushy stage. They're fairly tasteless with some grit. It didn't seem the critters ate them to that point. Hopefully that changes in the years to come or I'll topwork it to something else.

I have about 30 pears. One of those is Dr. Deer pear. It was one of the first to fruit and started last year. The pears were about nickel size. I had probably a dozen pears. They hung on through January at least. I tried one when it was in the mushy stage. They're fairly tasteless with some grit. It didn't seem the critters ate them to that point. Hopefully that changes in the years to come or I'll topwork it to something else.
I'm no expert on DR Deer pears, BUT I do have two of them planted (no pears yet due to frost) . From what I saw in Dr Deer's videos , the Dr Deer pears should get golf ball sized when the tree is mature , and they taste terrible to humans in any stage. Since you have 29 other pears I wouldn't be in a rush to topwork it, give it a few years and see what happens.

I like golf ball size fruit for crabapples and I wish there were more pears that size too. I just planted Winter Deer Pear from Blue Hill and Morse Hybrid Pear which both look like they’ll have smaller size fruit. I’ve looked into the Trophy/Dr. Deer/Last Supper too but I’ve heard mixed reviews and I haven’t pulled the trigger on it yet. I’ll have to check out that Wildlife Pear too. The only producing pear I have is Kieffer and it’s a good tree, but with my apples and crabs it seems like the smaller fruit always gets cleaned up first.

I like golf ball size fruit for crabapples and I wish there were more pears that size too. I just planted Winter Deer Pear from Blue Hill and Morse Hybrid Pear which both look like they’ll have smaller size fruit. I’ve looked into the Trophy/Dr. Deer/Last Supper too but I’ve heard mixed reviews and I haven’t pulled the trigger on it yet. I’ll have to check out that Wildlife Pear too. The only producing pear I have is Kieffer and it’s a good tree, but with my apples and crabs it seems like the smaller fruit always gets cleaned up first.
Sounds good. I was interested in the Morse Hybrid Pear , but heard many negatives about Morse nursery in general. I can't confirm if this is true but I think someone claimed they got 3-4 inch tall twigs for "trees". 2-3 years ago when I was looking into it Morse had a weird minimum amount of trees you had to buy , something like 10 for the way they ship and the shipping was expensive so I never got any. EDIT: I just went on Morse's website they have a $75.00 minimum order.....so I guess that's not too bad...How big were the Hybrid pears you received ?. The $40.00 3 year old Hybrid pears would cost $329.64 to ship for 4 trees ! so that's out of the question.

Last edited:
About 2’ out of the box but I think mine were 1 year old trees not 3 year old.

That shipping is insane. I wouldn’t pay that either. Are the 3 year old trees 10’ tall?? I think they recently changed ownership, wonder if that has something to do with it.

About 2’ out of the box but I think mine were 1 year old trees not 3 year old.

That shipping is insane. I wouldn’t pay that either. Are the 3 year old trees 10’ tall?? I think they recently changed ownership, wonder if that has something to do with it.
I'm not sure the website is confusing... I did see some 1 year old grafted Hybrid pears for $21.50 each BUT I think you HAVE to buy 10 of them.

I went back and looked at my order and shipping was $34 for 10 trees (a mix of fruit trees and oaks). If it’s something you want then I’d just give them a call. There must be some glitch in their shipping calculator, there’s no way it’s over $300 unless they’re monster trees. Or if you graft, I’d be happy to send you scion from mine when bigger.