Tree Plots in less than ideal spots

White Oak

5 year old buck +
I'll be the first to admit , my tree plot isn't in an ideal spot. Its on the side of a slope and along the bottom of a slope. I did that so it's hidden out of sight from the neighboring properties and backs up to my biggest parcel of woods , maybe 10 acres. Every year the farmer that cuts my hay fields feels the need to tell me " fruit trees should be on the highground" , oh well. The plot was started about 15 years ago, with 4 Sawtooth oaks planted on the field edge , and a couple Prairifire crabapples behind them ( before I knew any better) They are good for pollination, but gets really small crabs . I then had an acre or so of junk trees removed and planted NativNursuries Wild deer Pears, Dr Deer pears a moonglow , and 2 kieffer pear , along with Crabs from Blue Hill and Whitetail crabs. This year one of My Wild deer pears is loaded with pears, so is the moonglow, My Whitetail crabs have a few fruit this year....but not as much as last year as I think a late frost got them.

I don't expect to get as much fruit production as if the trees were in an ideal spot....BUT hopefully each year a few my 24 trees will produce and draw some deer out of the woods to feed while I'm in my box blind 125 yards away.. Just checking to see if Anyone else on here has had success with tree plots in less than Ideal areas.

Attachments

• 100_1974 (2).JPG
    100_1974 (2).JPG
    218 KB · Views: 36
  • 100_1976.JPG
    100_1976.JPG
    538.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_1977.JPG
    100_1977.JPG
    619 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_1978.JPG
    100_1978.JPG
    662.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_1979.JPG
    100_1979.JPG
    543.5 KB · Views: 35
Something is better than nothing. You don't always have a choice. I've planted plenty of trees in less than ideal locations with varying degrees of success. I'm guilty of trying to plant oaks into too small of openings in my woods. Some take, some don't. Guess what, I'll just keep on trying! 😄

Something is better than nothing. You don't always have a choice. I've planted plenty of trees in less than ideal locations with varying degrees of success. I'm guilty of trying to plant oaks into too small of openings in my woods. Some take, some don't. Guess what, I'll just keep on trying! 😄
I agree , can't hurt to try ....I've also been planting some pear and apple trees up by the house on "higher ground" maybe 200-250 yards away from my tree plot. Eventually they should draw deer out across the fields the last hour of daylight...I had 3 persimmon trees that did that up by the house, but I lost them to a tornado last spring. I planted a Liberty and two Enterprise apple trees and 2 rut rage pears in the yard ....hopefully the Enterprise and Rut rage pears drop into Nov. I think next spring I'll plant a couple Gilmer Christmas and Wildlife pears from the Wildlife group by the house and put a couple in my plot and hope for the best.

Most of my trees are in “okay, but not great spots”. I’m not running a commercial operation here, I’m just trying to grow a couple apples. And that’s about what I get. Pears have been more frustrating, I’ve gotten a total of one out of 6 year old trees. Like a cubs fan I’m getting tired of saying “maybe next year”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "bottom of a slope" is what worries me the most about what you said. That's where you usually find frost pockets. My pears in frost pockets usually get hit hard, while the ones on high ground usually do just fine. Apples and crabapples in that pocket produce better than pears but not as well as the apples and crabapples on the high ground. However, low ground is usually much better for food plots because of the moisture retention, and big bucks seem to favor low ground for travel so that they don't silhouette themselves.

The "bottom of a slope" is what worries me the most about what you said. That's where you usually find frost pockets. My pears in frost pockets usually get hit hard, while the ones on high ground usually do just fine. Apples and crabapples in that pocket produce better than pears but not as well as the apples and crabapples on the high ground. However, low ground is usually much better for food plots because of the moisture retention, and big bucks seem to favor low ground for travel so that they don't silhouette themselves.
Thanks for the info , In this picture you can see the red Kawasaki mule parked at what I call the bottom of the slope. I may have room for 5-6 more trees and that'll be it. Based on what you said I should probably just plant crabs....or maybe try one apple like a Yates that I know you are fond of.

Attachments

• 100_1977.JPG
    100_1977.JPG
    619 KB · Views: 28
Most of my trees are in “okay, but not great spots”. I’m not running a commercial operation here, I’m just trying to grow a couple apples. And that’s about what I get. Pears have been more frustrating, I’ve gotten a total of one out of 6 year old trees. Like a cubs fan I’m getting tired of saying “maybe next year”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really can't say for sure as I only have 7 pear trees in my tree plot...and this was the first year they were ALL loaded with blossoms. Two out of those 7 trees have a decent amount of pears, the rest have none or just a couple . I'd say the oldest pear trees I have been planted are 5 years, the rest maybe 4 years...so Maybe next year

Thanks for the info , In this picture you can see the red Kawasaki mule parked at what I call the bottom of the slope. I may have room for 5-6 more trees and that'll be it. Based on what you said I should probably just plant crabs....or maybe try one apple like a Yates that I know you are fond of.
Based on my experience, I would say yes. Last year I had one pear (a Senator Clark) that produced a big crop in the frost pocket, but that was unusual. I have two pears down there (Ms Lanene and a Kieffer) that are fully grown and neither have ever produced a single pear. Other pears have been hit and miss with no very good years. However, I have had some nice apple and crabapple years.

Based on my experience, I would say yes. Last year I had one pear (a Senator Clark) that produced a big crop in the frost pocket, but that was unusual. I have two pears down there (Ms Lanene and a Kieffer) that are fully grown and neither have ever produced a single pear. Other pears have been hit and miss with no very good years. However, I have had some nice apple and crabapple years.
Thanks again....I still want a Gilmer Christmas and Wildlife pear for my plot. What I think I'll do is dig up a couple of Crabapples I have on the very top of the slope...These were big box crabs I believe a Harvest gold and a Prarie Fire....They haven't really grown much and get bird sized crabs, I know I could try grafting them ...BUT this might be the best location to try a couple pears.....and then plant some crabs and apples down lower.

I'm not sure if it worth it or not....as I have no idea what they would charge. But if the cost isn't that out of hand you could probably have your 2 fully grown pears relocated...maybe they would produce in a different location. I'm not sure if this link to a Facebook page will work or not...but this place is somewhat local to me and shows the type of machine they use. https://www.facebook.com/people/Johnsons-Tree-Transplanting-Large-Tree-Sales/100063598939909/

I'm not sure if it worth it or not....as I have no idea what they would charge. But if the cost isn't that out of hand you could probably have your 2 fully grown pears relocated...maybe they would produce in a different location. I'm not sure if this link to a Facebook page will work or not...but this place is somewhat local to me and shows the type of machine they use. https://www.facebook.com/people/Johnsons-Tree-Transplanting-Large-Tree-Sales/100063598939909/
That's interesting. When a new road came through and got my inlaws place, we moved several apple trees with a backhoe. Some of them did fine and we lost some others. There is an old thread somewhere on here about that, but the pictures probably wouldn't show now due to the photo hosting service problems that came up. It probably wouldn't be worth it to me to move those two trees, but it is tempting.

That's interesting. When a new road came through and got my inlaws place, we moved several apple trees with a backhoe. Some of them did fine and we lost some others. There is an old thread somewhere on here about that, but the pictures probably wouldn't show now due to the photo hosting service problems that came up. It probably wouldn't be worth it to me to move those two trees, but it is tempting.
While I haven't mapquested it , The place

They don't have the exact address on the facebook page, BUT I'd guess the Tree relocators are 15-20 minutes away from me. I think in Sept I'll call and see if they do free estimates , if so get a price to move a full grown Prarie Fire crab from my tree plot to my Fathers yard who's property is next to mine . It is a really nice looking tree especially in the spring it's a nice color pink. If it's $850.00 to a $1,000 FORGET IT ,lol the tree can stay.....if it's under $500.00 I'd think about it...but I doubt it will be that cheap...but like I said if they do free estimates I'll look into it.

Prire fire doesn't get too big. If it the tree I am thinking in that pic, a backhoe should be able to keep enough roots. Wait for a wet fall, dig a circle around the tree with a back hoe, then try to uproot the tree with the backhoe.

If buying more trees, look at flowering groups. Get a late bloomer like group 3 or 4. Enterprise is a late bloomer. Arkansas black, honeycrisp, gala, granny smith, and most cider apples. The specialty crab apples might be good, but their history and characteristics isn't that well documented. Sundance, Pristine, and golden delicious are group 4 too. Picked enterprise, golden delicious, pristine, granny smith, harrison, and franklin cider for their late blooming. Franklin cider has been overhyped far as cider goes possibly, but my stark orchards one has been grown beautiful crotch angles. Couldn't pick a bad branch to cut out. Golden delicious is a great polinator of other trees, could be a great replacment for the praire fire trees.

Your spot is not bad at all. Going up to camp next weekend, I'll show you some less than ideal spots.....