It’s Spring!

Was feeling guilty for straying from the springtime nature of the thread with the spaghetti western talk... BUT... if I made my wife spend late March in those Wisconsin temps, she'd look meaner than Bronson and Fonda's character combined! 😂

Not even joking... she walks our yard most evenings, and if it's between 50 and 60 she's wearing a parka AND a stocking cap! NO LIE!

You guys from the south posting greened up pictures gives us folk from the north hope. Even if we are still months away from it.

I use to spend my free times watching westerns, not the black and white ones, but the early color ones. Now I just don’t have free time.

As I write this in NW Missouri, it is 73 degrees. My wife and I are off to the land of the frozen chosen of Northern Minnesota. I may have to bring along a sweater, as the forecast shows a low of 5 and a high of 28. The weekend it may get up to 40, which will be a heat wave.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more... there's a person reading this who hasn't watched it (would surprise me), can't recommend it enough... truly a great, great movie. 👍

Film probably less folks have seen is Once Upon A Time In The West... like Tombstone, has a few all time favorite scenes including this opening one. Got Henry Fonda as a ruthless villain played so well it's hard to believe, as kind-hearted as most roles he played tended to be.
B.B.M. I'm sure you've seen the Danish. If ya don't have the time to sit and watch the movies, it's nice to play a bunch of these. Good foodplot bag spreading music to have on the walkman!

B.B.M. I'm sure you've seen the Danish. If ya don't have the time to sit and watch the movies, it's nice to play a bunch of these. Good foodplot bag spreading music to have on the walkman!

Much appreciate the share. Had not seen that, and it was great! 👍

And to balance out the positives of early spring in the deep south... from some tractor time this afternoon. Starting to think they should call them "Land Moccasins" as I've seen at least 7 in my high and dry fields, and never once seen one actually in my pond.

20230322_174427.jpg

1679566171463.jpeg

BigBendMarine, my wife would NOT want to see water moccasins on land. While the meme above is not accurate—and yes, I understand the snake’s roll in nature—marital bliss at home dictates this philosophy around the house, the chickens and her garden.

Last edited:
And to balance out the positives of early spring in the deep south... from some tractor time this afternoon. Starting to think they should call them "Land Moccasins" as I've seen at least 7 in my high and dry fields, and never once seen one actually in my pond.

View attachment 51015
I’ve seen 7 snakes so far this year. Killed two copperheads.

Not be happy seeing moccasins..... Spring is on the bench for me. Just came back from bicep tear surgery. Thankfully most of my tree order stuff came in already. Turkey Creek guy was real nice to me cutting my order down to jut my coworkers part. Grafted some scions to my old trees, so i can continue my endeavors next season.

Buds are fattening up on early blossom crabapples any my peach and pear trees.

1 degree in Tower, MN with snowbanks 8’ tall around the barn of my in-laws farm. The motel parking lot is filled with snowmobiles and snowmobile trailers. Yeap, it’s Spring in the Northwoods.

I had always wondered in MN why fishing opener was on Mother’s Day weekend, it wasn’t until I regularly fished up north before I figured it out, it was because there is usually ice on the lakes until then. But most years I kept telling myself I will need to pack my ice fishing equipment on opener, but things just find a way to melt off the week before Mothersday. I can only remember one opener weekend in northern MN where our preferred lake was still frozen over, and a few years where there was sheets of ice still floating. The sun is just too warm in May.

Winter lasts a couple of months too long and fall is a couple months too short. Good to see "GREEN" ,even if it is in someone else's pictures.

Most everything still frozen even though the snow is almost gone. But checked the compost pile today and it was thawed out. Turned it and had hundreds of big fat earthworms hard at work. Still 7 weeks to my last frost date so will be lots of stuff to add to the garden before then.

Ok... know I shared green-up / floral pics earlier to commemorate our North Florida early spring, but THIS RIGHT HERE marks the PEAK of spring for us. Toms courting in crimson clover patches... don't know that it can get any more "springy" than that!

All photos taken over the past couple of weeks. 👍

040523 Tom Strutting Pond Road 2 (3).jpg
040223 Tom Turkey 19 (2).jpg
040223 Tom Turkey 15 (2).jpg
040223 Tom Turkey 5 (2).jpg
040223 Tom Turkey 21 Copy (2).jpg
040223 Tom Turkey 23 (2).jpg
040523 Tom Strutting Pond Road 1 (2).jpg
2023 Tom 2 (2).jpg
DSCN5627 (2).JPG

Last edited: