Do you remember it being colder

It seems we've only had two weeks of winter. One week with a couple of snowstorms that dropped 20" on us, followed by a week of subzero temps. Now the snow is almost completely melted and the grass in my yard is still green.

However, I have a friend who lives in Anchorage and they just broke the record for the earliest date in the season that they've gone over 100" of snow. And it was -15 at 10 pm the other night.

Mildest winter ever, or snowiest winter ever? Our views are shaped by our own experiences, which may not always be an accurate assessment of the world at large.

It seems we've only had two weeks of winter. One week with a couple of snowstorms that dropped 20" on us, followed by a week of subzero temps. Now the snow is almost completely melted and the grass in my yard is still green.

However, I have a friend who lives in Anchorage and they just broke the record for the earliest date in the season that they've gone over 100" of snow. And it was -15 at 10 pm the other night.

Mildest winter ever, or snowiest winter ever? Our views are shaped by our own experiences, which may not always be an accurate assessment of the world at large.
Steamboat springs Colorado yesterday. Little warm cause it was sitting but buddy sent to me
IMG_5515.jpeg

Ice report from sturgeon spearing club on north end lake Winnebago pretty bad. Went from 10-11 inches of decent ice to 9 inches total honeycomb. Club is putting up signs advising no vehicle traffic at this time, ATV or otherwise.

Worst ice report I've heard in 50+ yrs. Conditions are generally warmer than yrs past. All manmade, nah but warming cycle last few decades is happening.

Also record snows never seem to happen doing super, super cold winters so snow reports do little for me to confirm cold/warm trends as both ends of the extremes have less snow.

I hear y’all.

When I was a kid, there was wild quail everywhere. My dad used to come back with a paper grocery bag full every time. However, at that time deer were pretty scarce. Now there are deer everywhere. It seems to be a give-and-take.

As far as the ducks, I duck hunt in Arkansas extensively. There is no doubt there are less ducks. However, I am not sure the cause of that. I think it is multifactorial, But I think the leadership of some of the duck conservation groups and their decisions has played a large role.

Kansas, Nebraska, Illinois, seem to be covered up with ducks now. The flyway has just shifted west. My guess is this is a natural pattern that has happened many times over the generations, but all we remember is our experience.
For sure, there are many reasons why ducks dont come to AR in numbers they once did - one of the biggest reasons is pressure. I am not sure about this year, but recently We had more non-resident hunters than resident - alabama, georgia, and south carolina are the most prevalent. At some point in time - even a catfish learns to avoid pressure

I would guess, based on all 50 states, most would tend toward the warm side this year

Leave it to one of the Florida guys to chime in about the cold 😂 ...but... all things being relative will just say that our recent winters in North Florida have had some particularly cold days as our weather goes.

Loquats are a tree that grow here and while the trees can survive temps into the low teens, the fruit on the trees can't handle temps below 28. Three years and running that I've lost the fruit off of our trees, and with the past two years having multiple days in a row with temps in the lower to mid-20s. Pic below is from effort I undertook to save at least bit of fruit this year... remains to be seen how successful it will turn out, but dealt with 4 nights out of 7 during the week with temps in the 20s.

Fruit Tree Fires.jpg

Stayed consistently cold enough a few years ago that running sprinklers accomplished this...

Ice Ice.jpg

And though a bit further back, in 2018 we even had a bit of snow accumulate.

Snow Accumulation.jpg

NONE OF THE ABOVE TO TRY AND COMPARE TO Y'ALL FELLAS NORTH OF US... but personally I'd love to return to our more mild "winters" that have us just having one or two mornings with the absolute lightest touch of frost, hurting nothing, and leaving us green year-round.

Leave it to one of the Florida guys to chime in about the cold 😂 ...but... all things being relative will just say that our recent winters in North Florida have had some particularly cold days as our weather goes.

Loquats are a tree that grow here and while the trees can survive temps into the low teens, the fruit on the trees can't handle temps below 28. Three years and running that I've lost the fruit off of our trees, and with the past two years having multiple days in a row with temps in the lower to mid-20s. Pic below is from effort I undertook to save at least bit of fruit this year... remains to be seen how successful it will turn out, but dealt with 4 nights out of 7 during the week with temps in the 20s.

View attachment 62148

Stayed consistently cold enough a few years ago that running sprinklers accomplished this...

View attachment 62149

And though a bit further back, in 2018 we even had a bit of snow accumulate.

View attachment 62150

NONE OF THE ABOVE TO TRY AND COMPARE TO Y'ALL FELLAS NORTH OF US... but personally I'd love to return to our more mild "winters" that have us just having one or two mornings with the absolute lightest touch of frost, hurting nothing, and leaving us green year-round.
What I have noticed in south AR is more extremes. We have short periods of extreme cold - like a couple weeks ago we had four or five days of sub freezing temps as low as 3 or 4 degrees - but the next week it was in the seventies. We dont seem to have extended periods of mornings in the mid 20’s like we used to have.

Many of the rural homeowners used to have big old fig trees in the yard - many years old. Those are all gone now - killed off by the short duration periods of extreme cold (for us). But, at the same time, our plant hardiness zone was recently changed from 7b to 8a. We must now pay particular attention to required chill hours when selecting our fruit trees. It seems like the extremes are more extreme - like what is going on in alaska.

The west has been getting snow still but what’s been happening is it’s melting earlier in the spring and faster. So they are experiencing flooding and no snowpack to fill reservoirs and keep rivers running cold through the summer. About every summer I go out there the rivers are shot by July. Most have hoot owl restrictions (evenings, nights and mornings early) or shut down all together. I have to plan accordingly and go early summer or in the fall.

Ice report from sturgeon spearing club on north end lake Winnebago pretty bad. Went from 10-11 inches of decent ice to 9 inches total honeycomb. Club is putting up signs advising no vehicle traffic at this time, ATV or otherwise.

Worst ice report I've heard in 50+ yrs. Conditions are generally warmer than yrs past. All manmade, nah but warming cycle last few decades is happening.

Also record snows never seem to happen doing super, super cold winters so snow reports do little for me to confirm cold/warm trends as both ends of the extremes have less snow.
I am pretty sure the mild weather we are having this winter is from the shift in the jet stream, and not so much the climate warming, but you wont hear that on the news.

For sure, there are many reasons why ducks dont come to AR in numbers they once did - one of the biggest reasons is pressure. I am not sure about this year, but recently We had more non-resident hunters than resident - alabama, georgia, and south carolina are the most prevalent. At some point in time - even a catfish learns to avoid pressure

I would guess, based on all 50 states, most would tend toward the warm side this year
Yep. I’m one of those. Duck hunting pretty good around here except for mallards. We just don’t get many green heads.

What I have noticed in south AR is more extremes. We have short periods of extreme cold - like a couple weeks ago we had four or five days of sub freezing temps as low as 3 or 4 degrees - but the next week it was in the seventies. We dont seem to have extended periods of mornings in the mid 20’s like we used to have.

Many of the rural homeowners used to have big old fig trees in the yard - many years old. Those are all gone now - killed off by the short duration periods of extreme cold (for us). But, at the same time, our plant hardiness zone was recently changed from 7b to 8a. We must now pay particular attention to required chill hours when selecting our fruit trees. It seems like the extremes are more extreme - like what is going on in alaska.
I agree with that Swamp.

I will say biggest snow ever in Alabama was blizzard in 1992 or 93. Was in early March. We got up to 18” of snow

2 days before my dad and I got sunburned laying sod in the front yard. Dad spent whole snow week trying to keep kids off our front yard.

A lot of people on here have talked about how brutal the winners are on deer. Would a warming trend in the north not be good for your deer hunting?

Yes and no.

The biggest limiting factor here in the Northeast is the winter. It's not so much the cold as it is the snow. Milder and less snowy winters would absolutely be beneficial to deer and thus deer hunting.

As a tracker though, I absolutely depend on snow to enjoy that kind of deer hunting. I'd hate to give that up in exchange for milder winters and more deer.......I think. I only saw 1 deer this year. Perhaps I would trade tracking snow for higher deer numbers. LOL.

Yes and no.

The biggest limiting factor here in the Northeast is the winter. It's not so much the cold as it is the snow. Milder and less snowy winters would absolutely be beneficial to deer and thus deer hunting.

As a tracker though, I absolutely depend on snow to enjoy that kind of deer hunting. I'd hate to give that up in exchange for milder winters and more deer.......I think. I only saw 1 deer this year. Perhaps I would trade tracking snow for higher deer numbers. LOL.
I understand. Thanks for the reply.

Agree to disagree but no way to prove either of us is wrong. But…my mind says we have toppled mountains, drained lakes, rerouted rivers, changed shoreline of oceans, removed billions of acres of trees, developed millions upon millions of acres of land, emitted untold amounts of gasses, split atoms, altered the weather through scientific means…why would I not think maybe just maybe we could influence the climate through our actions?
With that said I’m taking my 17 mpg truck to my farm and filling up my tractors with diesel and working all weekend.
A little fact I looked up.

Did you remember the volcanic blast on Tonga? Yeah me either. However, it had the power of 500 atomic bombs.

There have been roughly 2000 atomic devices ever detonated. We have caused as much change with atomic bombs as a few small volcanic blasts.

This isn’t about us killing selves with atom bombs. We def could. But so far we have not come close to the power of nature, asteroid strikes, volcanos, etc. We have never changed the coat line like a hurricane.

Most of that talk is media derived hysteria for money and power.

Read this quora thread. Humans impact is negligible compared to what nature or the planet can do. Not even a contest.

Almost like it’s all balancing out…

Did you remember the volcanic blast on Tonga? Yeah me either. However, it had the power of 500 atomic bombs.

There have been roughly 2000 atomic devices ever detonated. We have caused as much change with atomic bombs as a few small volcanic blasts.

This isn’t about us killing selves with atom bombs. We def could. But so far we have not come close to the power of nature, asteroid strikes, volcanos, etc. We have never changed the coat line like a hurricane.

Read this quora thread. Humans impact is negligible compared to what nature or the planet can do. Not even a contest.

Great post!

Humans are so arrogant. LOL