Do you remember it being colder

Do people still snowmobile locally around the cities? How far south do folks still bother to buy sleds? Does anyone ride in Iowa? I swear back in the early 80’s when I was kid there everyone from me to my grandparents to our neighbors all had sleds and it wasn’t necessarily to go north
This year you'd be better off owning a snowmobile in Iowa than you would in most of MN.
SW WI where my land is got 23" in one week. We got 8" here that same week, it got cold for 10 days and now it's gone. Snow was too fluffy to even ride a snowmobile on around here.

For sure. But trends are hard to ignore. Weather is what is happening now, climate is what is happening through a range. I’m not a manmade climate change guy per se but something is warming up the earth right now. And my anecdotal observations are it’s been warming as a trend through my lifetime. Will it still get cold…yep but overall it’s warmer. There are facts to support a warm up. I’m not selling my gas guzzler and I’d fly a private plane in two seconds if given a chance but it’s hard to ignore the rise in temps since man has become more industrialized. I think all the building, asphalt, sprawl is a big factor in not allowing uv to absorb for a lack of better term. All the heat gets radiated back into our atmosphere. Think about how much asphalt and shingled black roofs and giant metal buildings we have now compared to 1900. That has to have some effect. But hell maybe not. I’m open to science.
  • Earth’s temperature has risen by an average of 0.11° Fahrenheit (0.06° Celsius) per decade since 1850, or about 2° F in total.
    • The rate of warming since 1982 is more than three times as fast: 0.36° F (0.20° C) per decade.
  • 2023 was the warmest year since global records began in 1850 by a wide margin.
    • It was 2.12 °F (1.18 °C) above the 20th-century average of 57.0°F (13.9°C).
    • It was 2.43 °F (1.35 °C) above the pre-industrial average (1850-1900).
  • The 10 warmest years in the historical record have all occurred in the past decade (2014-2023).

Here's a little different science backed perspective.

This is a comment from a New York trapper. There is a forum dedicated to trapping - and comments like this far outweigh the “Oh, it is two cold” to trap. Especially the northern trappers who depend on ice and snow.

“Small ponds created by dams in cricks you can jump across. Now it's rotten ice you can't walk on. Our ever increasing warmer winters have made freeze/thaw conditions all winter now. No more ice trapping beaver, snowmobiling or ice fishing in my neck of the woods anymore. Even the ski resorts in the hills are starting to shut down and go bankrupt. Oh well maybe 5 years down the line it'll be thawed all winter and I can open water trap. Got to think positive and hope”

Look! The Earth is flat after all!

View attachment 62094
What does warmest on record mean? In last 100 years? 150?

If you look at long term chart listed in thread, we are coming out of an ice age. We will continue to have “record” warmth for the next 20k years. The climate people always start charts that make their point.

This earth has been here 4 billion years. Would people want us to go back to the climate 3 billion years ago?

I don’t understand why people think the earth was perfect in 1950, 1850, or whenever.

This is a comment from a New York trapper. There is a forum dedicated to trapping - and comments like this far outweigh the “Oh, it is two cold” to trap. Especially the northern trappers who depend on ice and snow.

“Small ponds created by dams in cricks you can jump across. Now it's rotten ice you can't walk on. Our ever increasing warmer winters have made freeze/thaw conditions all winter now. No more ice trapping beaver, snowmobiling or ice fishing in my neck of the woods anymore. Even the ski resorts in the hills are starting to shut down and go bankrupt. Oh well maybe 5 years down the line it'll be thawed all winter and I can open water trap. Got to think positive and hope”
Compare that to the billion people in the global energy sector and I have to tell you, can’t say I get worked up over the trappers.

Compare that to the billion people in the global energy sector and I have to tell you, can’t say I get worked up over the trappers.
What are the billion people in the global energy sector saying - I dont keep up with them - just the trappers😉

If you look at long term chart listed in thread, we are coming out of an ice age. We will continue to have “record” warmth for the next 20k years. The climate people always start charts that make their point.

This earth has been here 4 billion years. Would people want us to go back to the climate 3 billion years ago?

I don’t understand why people think the earth was perfect in 1950, 1850, or whenever.
Just curious, do you think man has no impact on the earth in terms of weather or weather related events? I just can’t shake the observation that almost everywhere we look we have impacted this planet. Essentially turned what was once natural into unnatural. That impact grows exponentially literally daily. Maybe it’s co2? Maybe it’s turning natural surface into a hard surface? Maybe putting structures all over the map? Maybe it’s all of the above or maybe it’s non of the above but in my head I have no doubt we have an impact. But…what can and will and should we do? The elephant in the room climate loons don’t want to address is the only real solution is population control. IF man is impacting the environment all these stupid little jokes like carbon credits and electric vehicles are laughable. I’m not advocating for that (well in certain situations there’s some people who shouldn’t have kids!) but until I hear some sleezeball like John Kerry or Greta stupid face say that the earth is busting at the seams it’s all met with skepticism.

Don't know why but I've never heard the possibility that maybe the Earth is now slightly closer to the sun? Do we think the sun will just burn forever? Once the sun is gone we are done. I think man kind will eliminate itself before mother nature does.

It was closer to perfect 15 years ago when ducks still came to AR in numbers😉

I am old enough to remember in the 70's the fear from scientists and the government that we are heading into the next ice age, then when that didnt scare people enough, then we were pushed the acid rain was going to kill off all our food supply, and effect our drinking water, that didnt work, so we got John Kerry and the climate warming crowds, but that didnt pan out, so they started with climate change, this way they can include storms, hail, wind, hot, cold, wet, dry into their agenda.

I tell ya, this warmer winter is welcome by many by me, while it is above normal temps, most seem to like it! If it warms up 2 degrees more on average over another 50 years, I wont mind.

Government lights the fires so they can put out the fires or keep flaming the fires. Whatever leads to tax dollars pissed away the most. GEE, maybe we're being misled and lied to. Don't worry, EV'S will save the planet or cause it to deteriorate much faster. It's one of those two.

Maybe global warming is caused by all the fires the government has lit?

What are the billion people in the global energy sector saying - I dont keep up with them - just the trappers😉
Ha.

Coal and oil jobs. I’m for phasing out over next century. To just stop and cripple the US. Inexcusable.

I am old enough to remember in the 70's the fear from scientists and the government that we are heading into the next ice age, then when that didnt scare people enough, then we were pushed the acid rain was going to kill off all our food supply, and effect our drinking water, that didnt work, so we got John Kerry and the climate warming crowds, but that didnt pan out, so they started with climate change, this way they can include storms, hail, wind, hot, cold, wet, dry into their agenda.

I tell ya, this warmer winter is welcome by many by me, while it is above normal temps, most seem to like it! If it warms up 2 degrees more on average over another 50 years, I wont mind.
I mean...they did kind of fix the acid rain thing with reduced emissions. Farmers used to get "free" sulfur from the rain and now they have to add it to their fertilization routine (or so I've been told).

Ha.

Coal and oil jobs. I’m for phasing out over next century. To just stop and cripple the US. Inexcusable.
Coal and oil are the first steps to create electric. EV's are just adding an extra step to what we already had in place.

Coal and oil are the first steps to create electric. EV's are just adding an extra step to what we already had in place.
I agree with that. Eventually we will run out of fossil fuels, and as a people should plan for that with an orderly transition. But should happen over a long period and maximizing the natural resources we have.

Omi still trying to get my head around global warming and counting votes in the same vein. Lolll

Having trapped beaver for over 40 years I can absolutely tell you it’s way, way easier with open water than having ice. Partial or full ice makes for easier travel but harder trapping. Give me open or mostly open water anytime.