Do you remember it being colder

For those of you who understand upwelling caused by wind and current on lake michigan where the warm surface waters get pushed out and the cold water pushes into the beach. I am wondering if that is how El Nina happens in the pacific ocean. Because of the size of the ocean compared to lake michigan which can happen overnight it takes years to happen in the ocean. If a scientist wants to examine my theory I would welcome it.

Last year I did not go ice fishing for the first time in my life. This year I went one time and the ice is gone. Ughhhh

I just saw @Catscratch doing a controlled burn…apparently not all of Kansas got it!

I was gonna ask him about that. We are WET here. It’s like the tundra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Year to date Illinois is 5 to 10 degrees below normal.

Unless you are looking at a actual graph of historic temperatures I think we often skew things. Our perspective as kids I think is skewed in a number of ways. I remember how much longer trips seemed to take in a car, how our family farm felt "3" times as big as it does now, etcc..

Good point. Growing up in the twin cities I had a snowmobile before I was 7. Dad and neighbors would sled every weekend. I just looked and it appears that the twin cities have zero inches of snow on the ground.
Yeah, but how many inches did we have last year at this time?

Yeah, but how many inches did we have last year at this time?
I was just in Minneapolis this last weekend and there is zero snow on the ground. Temps were pretty stable in the upper 20s to mid 30s while I was there.

I was just in Minneapolis this last weekend and there is zero snow on the ground. Temps were pretty stable in the upper 20s to mid 30s while I was there.
Last winter the snow collapsed my shed roof. Currently there is very little snow on the ground. Each and every winter I have been alive (55) has been different. Weird huh?

I think society has such a short memory, that whatever they hear on tv, or from msm they believe. Up here on the news we keep hearing about how warm things are, and pounding global warming at you. While this year has been above average, and little snow, no mention of the record snow last year, and below average temps, or the extreme cold the previous 2 years before that, that was well below average for winter temps. Chucker is right, every year has been different, some above, some below, and very few that were average.

I notice all the time, because my wife likes to watch the local morning news while drinking coffee. If temps are way below average(like 30 degrees below average), they wont mention average, just say it is cold, and winter. But if temps reach 5 degrees above average, they will make sure to mention temps are above average for this time of year.

For instance, January average high temp is 22 degrees for where I live. If the high temp for the day is -25, they wont mention that it is 47 degrees below average. But if the high temp reaches 32 degrees, all we here about is way above average temps for this time of year, and about global warming crap.

Last winter the snow collapsed my shed roof. Currently there is very little snow on the ground. Each and every winter I have been alive (55) has been different. Weird huh?
For sure. But trends are hard to ignore. Weather is what is happening now, climate is what is happening through a range. I’m not a manmade climate change guy per se but something is warming up the earth right now. And my anecdotal observations are it’s been warming as a trend through my lifetime. Will it still get cold…yep but overall it’s warmer. There are facts to support a warm up. I’m not selling my gas guzzler and I’d fly a private plane in two seconds if given a chance but it’s hard to ignore the rise in temps since man has become more industrialized. I think all the building, asphalt, sprawl is a big factor in not allowing uv to absorb for a lack of better term. All the heat gets radiated back into our atmosphere. Think about how much asphalt and shingled black roofs and giant metal buildings we have now compared to 1900. That has to have some effect. But hell maybe not. I’m open to science.
  • Earth’s temperature has risen by an average of 0.11° Fahrenheit (0.06° Celsius) per decade since 1850, or about 2° F in total.
    • The rate of warming since 1982 is more than three times as fast: 0.36° F (0.20° C) per decade.
  • 2023 was the warmest year since global records began in 1850 by a wide margin.
    • It was 2.12 °F (1.18 °C) above the 20th-century average of 57.0°F (13.9°C).
    • It was 2.43 °F (1.35 °C) above the pre-industrial average (1850-1900).
  • The 10 warmest years in the historical record have all occurred in the past decade (2014-2023).

The 1970s had darn cold winters. A few of those years extensions had to be added to ice augers for local lakes. 36" wasn't gonna cut it. By mid 1980s things started to change. Still remember the first time for me it rained.... rained for crying out loud during the Nov gun season. Totally weird feeling after freezing my azz all those years as a kid tromping thru the snow.

Deer and pheasants were dying last year, this was much needed ! It also saved thousands of fish (walleye and crappie the most) as many lakes were and are still not accessible!

Actually several lakes froze out last year in my area. Here is a pic of one ..CE59A199-F78A-4D71-A01F-D3A57020852A.jpeg

If we have went through several ice ages, wouldn't there have to have been an equal number of warming periods in between? No doubt the earth itself is ever-evolving. It is probably warmer overall than I remember in the past. But we also have short periods of extreme cold that I don't remember happening as often. What triggers an ice age anyway? Are we due for one? 😂

Last edited:
Weakest winter since they started tracking this in the 50's according to the NWS, so far. The long term forecast for early February doesn't look like that'll change. New record high in MSP area yesterday of 50°

20240130_093816.jpg

I think wildlife is a good indicator for long term weather trends. As I already mentioned ducks, things like armadillos and fireants creeping farther north - allowed by more warmer winter temps. Twenty years ago, black bellied tree ducks were a rare visitor here and now they are our most common summer duck with some staying well into duck season. Just this past year, the plant zones were changed due to long term warming. I was in 7 b and now 8 a.

That said, I have large fossilized salt water oyster shells lying all over the surface of my property. I am 300 miles inland.

Well just imagine how it was in the dust bowl. Bet it was hot n beyond dry then. I wonder if the Mississippi River was dried up then. Anybody read anything about that