Do you remember it being colder

I've observed the same thing here in NW Mass. October feels more like Sept. December feels like November. And March feels like February. I joke with my wife that I think the Earth is off by a month and needs a reset.
Your right, it is off a month. In all reality the calendar is supposed to have 13months with 28 days in each month.

Very well could be that the earth is warming up. I am not going to argue that its not. But even if it is true that the earth has gotten hotter by .36 degrees per decade do you think that is a significant enough since your childhood that you can say "Yea this year is .036 degrees warmer than last year. I can feel it in my bones." LOL The area where I set typing this was once underneath an ocean, was it warmer or colder then? I think that most of us would agree that the Earth will at some point likely cease to exist with human life on it, for a multitude of reasons. I am going to be honest I am not worried about what 500 generations from now are going to be dealing with. More than likely mankind will find a way to eliminate itself long before the world over heats.

Well just imagine how it was in the dust bowl. Bet it was hot n beyond dry then. I wonder if the Mississippi River was dried up then. Anybody read anything about that

I am absolutely getting sucked into this conversation that has no real value. It's just a bunch of old men "not" remembering how things actually were! Oh! Wait! I think I am now in that group!

It's an interesting subject(s)! Weather, memory, perceptions vs reality. I should just quit now. But since I am here...

There's probably more climatological data than can be found in any other area of science/statistics. It makes it easy to find something to support your recollections and theories.

I'm not here to talk about that. I am old and so I have stories. Back in the late 1970's there was a "study" (I use the word loosely) to understand how bad the past weather had been. So a bunch (?) of people were asked and the consensus seemed to be it was the worst winter ever! The study creators then looked at the data for the past winter and compared it to previous winter's. No difference. It was a rather typical winter. What was different was the number of predicted snowfalls and periods of low temperatures amplified by what served as media in those days. Now think of the media hum today and be on guard about how it affects your perception.

I am guilty. I hear a predication for bad weather and act like it's a certainty - only to find it didn't happen like it was predicted. And I can't seem to square the prediction with the reality. Like an enlarged prostate it might just be an old man problem!

A lot of people on here have talked about how brutal the winners are on deer. Would a warming trend in the north not be good for your deer hunting?

Also, it seems like the same amount of people on here have reported colder weather than normal as warmer weather than normal. I think things cycle and change in different areas. We had the coldest weather here a couple weeks ago in Alabama, Alabama, that I can ever remember.

@Howboutthemdawgs the graph that was posted above showed the weather has been pretty normal steady over the past 50 years. Also, 2° temperature change since 1850 on the local level would not be much of a change at all. Remember, if your temperature of changed 10° warmer since that time, somewhere else has been 8°, colder to meet that 2° change. I agree with @FarmerDan our memory is probably the worst indicator of things being different. Sounds like when old men think the younger generation are all pieces of shit.

@Howboutthemdawgs the graph that was posted above showed the weather has been pretty normal steady over the past 50 years.
I don't think so. What graph? The one for only the month of September at one point on the map. Don't take it the wrong way. We old men have a lot of missionary work to do! LOL!
Also, 2° temperature change since 1850 on the local level would not be much of a change at all. Remember, if your temperature of changed 10° warmer since that time, somewhere else has been 8°, colder to meet that 2° change.
I can't get my head around that one, but it is climate change, however it is caused, that is a concern and difficult because we don't adapt quickly enough. We seem to need repeated, serious loss to accept what is true.
I agree with @FarmerDan our memory is probably the worst indicator of things being different. Sounds like when old men think the younger generation are all pieces of shit.
I didn't say that, the piece of shit thing. I reserve the right, though, to become a grumpy(ier) old man!

All in good fun!! I am having fun!

A lot of people on here have talked about how brutal the winners are on deer. Would a warming trend in the north not be good for your deer hunting?

Also, it seems like the same amount of people on here have reported colder weather than normal as warmer weather than normal. I think things cycle and change in different areas. We had the coldest weather here a couple weeks ago in Alabama, Alabama, that I can ever remember.
I know this warm weather we are having this winter would help the deer up here, if there were any deer up here.

@Howboutthemdawgs the graph that was posted above showed the weather has been pretty normal steady over the past 50 years. Also, 2° temperature change since 1850 on the local level would not be much of a change at all. Remember, if your temperature of changed 10° warmer since that time, somewhere else has been 8°, colder to meet that 2° change. I agree with @FarmerDan our memory is probably the worst indicator of things being different. Sounds like when old men think the younger generation are all pieces of shit.
No, I get it, it doesn’t sound like much, but I would argue it’s a delicate balance, and we are apparently in the beginning of a trend. Now, obviously, all of that can adjust at any moment, but right now the arrow is pointed up. 2° could be the reason why we have armadillos in Kentucky, and ticks that are worse than ever, I don’t know. I like cold so warming trends suck!

I have read how in Europe, and Asia they are having a record cold winter. SO, I assume it all averages out.

Yeah, it was cold as hell two weeks ago but I am wearing short sleeves today. My buddy in Steamboat Springs Colorado text me yesterday and said it was 55°. So we can all use random events as confirmation bias but we cannot argue with data that is showing an increase. I mean I guess we can argue but It’s pretty well a fact we are warming.

I'm waiting for the global warming to bring MN and WI some milder winters. Last winter was brutal up here, but this winter is much better. I believe it is because of El Nino though, so unfortunately the global warming wasn't responsible for this warm weather.

I'm waiting for the global warming to bring MN and WI some milder winters. Last winter was brutal up here, but this winter is much better. I believe it is because of El Nino though, so unfortunately the global warming wasn't responsible for this warm weather.
Yeah it is because the jet streams and wind patterns shifted. We will have extremely cold winters again. Years like this is when the climate nut jobs really start pushing their agenda.

Yeah it is because the jet streams and wind patterns shifted. We will have extremely cold winters again. Years like this is when the climate nut jobs really start pushing their agenda.
I love how an observation always has to turn political. I’m so conservative I would make Trump blush. I tried my best to preface the fact that I am hardly a climate alarmist. I get that politicians are using climate change to control certain aspects of our life. But I am also not too ignorant to understand that we are a warming phase right now, and I have no idea what’s causing it but it is absolutely a fact

Remember last winter???
1706648903609.png

I love how an observation always has to turn political. I’m so conservative I would make Trump blush. I tried my best to preface the fact that I am hardly a climate alarmist. I get that politicians are using climate change to control certain aspects of our life. But I am also not too ignorant to understand that we are a warming phase right now, and I have no idea what’s causing it but it is absolutely a fact
But what is noteworthy about that?

I’m with you. I don’t believe in man made global warming. I do believe in pollution and being good stewards of the environment.

Remember last winter???
View attachment 62092
Yep the north was cold last year. Nashville not so much. Here’s warmest years on record. I just went back to 1970 to save space. Seems awfully want lately. In

YearRankHigh (°F)Low (°F)

I don't think so. What graph? The one for only the month of September at one point on the map. Don't take it the wrong way. We old men have a lot of missionary work to do! LOL!

I can't get my head around that one, but it is climate change, however it is caused, that is a concern and difficult because we don't adapt quickly enough. We seem to need repeated, serious loss to accept what is true.

I didn't say that, the piece of shit thing. I reserve the right, though, to become a grumpy(ier) old man!

All in good fun!! I am having fun!
This graph @FarmerDan

No one said you said that part. I said that’s what people talking about winters aren’t like they housed to be.

Lots to consider here. As for ticks, much of the problem is the lack of wildfires that set them back every few years. Last year we had a brutally cold spell here in NW Missouri. This year, our coldest day so far was -11, but the -38 windchill didn’t cause me to think, “hey, it’s warmer this year than last.”

As a high school student in California in the mid-1970s I recall watching a presentation on climate cycles, and that a warming cycle would allow northern states (and nations) to produce more crops—which would help with global hunger. The experts back then noted how animal movements would change with the cycle. Sounds like that 1970s presentation was pretty accurate.

As for observational reflections, the ups and downs seem about normal for my 23 years in the state:
View attachment 62074

But what is noteworthy about that?
Do I look like the Washington post? I didn’t say anything about making this front page. I didn’t say we need to do anything about it. But I am observing it certainly seems warmer to me than when I was a kid.