Interesting Holes in my Plot

Jayber

5 year old buck +
Had a few of these show up in my freshly planted food plot. Any thoughts on what would make holes like this............snakes or something else? These 2 were located down in the lower, wet ground but I found some more on the higher, dryer end as well. Maybe I need to put a game camera out to see what gives.

20160826_173838_resized.jpg

Really? I wouldn't think they'd be there, but I suppose anything is possible.

Jayber, why do you think they wouldn't be crawdads? Especially in the wet areas like you've pictured I would bet a few dollars on it. :-)

No questions about it. But there are no "crawdads" down here in Louisiana. Those are crawfish, or if you prefer "mudbugs".

:DOr miniature lobsters....

Last edited:
In my area of the world, we call them crayfish....................
cray vs craw.png

Yep, that pic looks like it could have come from my father's creek bottom.................

I guess you learn something new every day. Had no idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I'll be, would have never thought that! Huh, learn something every day. Thanks, I knew someone here would know.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

In my area of the world, we call them crayfish....................
View attachment 10404
Whip I don't know if I am more impressed how you find the info you do, or tax dollars are spent to find out what people call a crab.

Ok Whip, show me a map of pop vs soda!

We have like twenty different species of crawdads in Ohio, some live almost strictly on land. I never had any idea there were different types here until my youngest son did a paper on them in college for his biology and natural science major. We even have two species of shrimp here!

I always thought this was a good one...............

bubbler.png

If you look at the green area, it is centered around Kohler, WI. The birthplace of the "bubbler".

Oh man this thread is awesome!! Love these maps hope to see more.

I have those holes in the wetter spots in my clover plots and even in the back yard.
Never had a clue what they were. I have found crayfish in the yard after heavy rain.

I always just figured a wet mole :)

A wet mole is what a crayfish is!

I bought a wetland restoration book a while back and it said crayfish burrows like that often mean there was once a wetland there that was drained. if you wanted to put in a watering hole for the deer, that might be a good spot.

I bought a wetland restoration book a while back and it said crayfish burrows like that often mean there was once a wetland there that was drained. if you wanted to put in a watering hole for the deer, that might be a good spot.
This may be in the long-term plan (pond?) as I get runoff from the neighboring farmer, but now that the plot is started I want to get some trees planted for screening.

Here's a little critter I found Sat when I was there last.
20160903_135902.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk