If I could only own one gun......it would be my:

foggy

5 year old buck +
Remington 700 Mountain Rifle chambered in 280 Rem. It currently wears a 4x14-40 Luepold Scope which works well for most of my needs.

I've killed bears, elk, antelope and deer with this gun.....and I like the wide range of bullets it handles. It shoot just about any load with good accuracy. Even when the barrel warms up on the bench.....it still will shoot pretty good groups for a light weight gun (with a small diameter barrel).

The 4x14 scope allows use under almost any scenario I may need. The 280 Rem handles a wide range of bullet weights pretty well - from 120gn to 175gn.....and will nearly reach 7MM velocities. Mostly I stoke mine with 140 grain bonded bullets....but likely would load 160's for elk or moose.

I have done a trigger-job on this gun....and it now takes about 3 lbs pull weight to send a bullet down the bore - just about right for my tastes.

I really like the reasonably lightweight and size of the gun. Carry's well just about anywhere and I have a high level of confidence in the gun. Recoil is quite manageable and the gun fits me "just right".

Only thing I should do is to install some different rings on the gun. I own a set of Tally rings for it....but never bothered to change them out. Given a choice....I don't any longer like the Redfield-style, windage-adjustable rings.....as they can come loose with a fall or other abuse (don't ask me how I know).

I own or have owned some pretty nice rigs.....but In a world of high-priced guns with fancy pedigree's.....this little Remington Mountain Rifle will hold it's own against any other.

Nice Foggy, I might chose your gun as I always wanted an ultra-light and the 280 is a great round. Of the current guns I have I would chose my Sako 7mm Remington with a 4.5-12 Luepold. The gun is a tack driver and for an all around gun is very flexible particularly when you hand-load.
I do have on my list a High-end custom/semi-custom gun like a Christensen that I would like to add to my inventory.

Remington Model 870 SPS. For more reasons than anyone has time to list.:cool:

I was going to say a Model 7, 7.08 with a Burris, but then I read Foggy's post.

I guess for only one gun, I would keep the Model 700 Classic in 280 with a Burris scope on it. The .06 Model 700 ain't bad either......

That 280 Mountain Rifle sound sweet. I currently own 2 different Remington 700s and love them.

But, you said "one gun" instead of "one rifle" so I'm going to have to go a different direction. I'm going with my 870 Supermag 12 gauge. By changing shells I can go from quail - to turkeys - to deer - to self defense - to the largest animal on the planet with 00 Buckshot or a slug. In fact, if I had to face a big bear I would want a Hevishot turkey load in the chamber (to shoot him in the eyes) followed by two slugs. And I would definitely want my Nikes on my feet.:D

That 280 Mountain Rifle sound sweet. I currently own 2 different Remington 700s and love them.

But, you said "one gun" instead of "one rifle" so I'm going to have to go a different direction. I'm going with my 870 Supermag 12 gauge. By changing shells I can go from quail - to turkeys - to deer - to self defense - to the largest animal on the planet with 00 Buckshot or a slug. In fact, if I had to face a big bear I would want a Hevishot turkey load in the chamber (to shoot him in the eyes) followed by two slugs. And I would definitely want my Nikes on my feet.:D

But to some of us, shotguns are not really guns. They are just a tool. Well, unless you have a Model 12!:)

But to some of us, shotguns are not really guns. They are just a tool. Well, unless you have a Model 12!:)

LOL Sandbur...a Model 12 is too new for an old codger like me. Somebody took the hammer off of it. How about the old 97 Winchester? This one has a 32 inch barrel which is hard to find now since the cowboy shooters sawed the barrels off most of them!

The next thing is for someone to guess what kind of wood that gun is hanging on. In 20 years I've not had anyone to guess it correct yet...LOL.

I had a 97, but sold it.

It was too new!

How about some old Damascus barreled shotguns?

LOL Sandbur...a Model 12 is too new for an old codger like me. Somebody took the hammer off of it. How about the old 97 Winchester? This one has a 32 inch barrel which is hard to find now since the cowboy shooters sawed the barrels off most of them!

Aint that the gun they called the "widow-maker"? Had a buddy nearly shot me with a gun like that.....on several occasions. Had to keep a close eye on him and that piece.

At one point I did own a few model 12's......and killed allot of ducks, geese and pheasants with those guns. Still shed a tear when I see a really nice old gun like my 16 gauge model 12 (which I sold in a weak moment). Not sure what ammo for that would cost anymore tho.....? 16 gauge is all but obsolete these days. :(

I had a 97, but sold it.

It was too new!

How about some old Damascus barreled shotguns?

Don't own any Damascus, but I do have a Remington Double that was manufactured in 1902 (per the serial number). Sweet old gun. I did some research to find out more about the numbers/markings on it. They used to shoot them at the factory and stamp the metal with the number of shot in a 30 inch circle at 40 yards. Can you imagine that much attention being given to a run of the mill gun today?

I have another rifle that is a close second to my mountain rifle. I own a Kimber Montanna in 300 WSM. Primarilly bought it for elk and moose.....but it is fine for lighter game too.

It is a bit lighter in weight than the mountain rifle.....and really handles recoil quite well. Many other good features too: like the controlled cartrige feed, three position safety, great trigger, stainless and "plastic" stock that requires little maintenance. Tough as a brick. The kevlar stock, ergonomics and pad must really soak up the recoil for the recoil is quite manageable. For long-range, bigger game sizes, or western hunting.....this would be a better choice.

If this gun was chambered in the 280 Rem.....I would pick it over the Mtn Rifle.....as my "one-gun battery".

Aint that the gun they called the "widow-maker"? Had a buddy nearly shot me with a gun like that.....on several occasions. Had to keep a close eye on him and that piece.

At one point I did own a few model 12's......and killed allot of ducks, geese and pheasants with those guns. Still shed a tear when I see a really nice old gun like my 16 gauge model 12 (which I sold in a weak moment). Not sure what ammo for that would cost anymore tho.....? 16 gauge is all but obsolete these days. :(

Yep, that is the widow maker. There was so much demand for them from the cowboy action shooters that Norinco started making replicas just to meet the demand. They whack the barrels off real short for their sport, and not lots of widow makers left with the original barrel length.

I see 16 gauge shells occasionally at gun shows. Never priced them, but you might run up on a deal at a place like that.

I have another rifle that is a close second to my mountain rifle. I own a Kimber Montanna in 300 WSM. Primarilly bought it for elk and moose.....but it is fine for lighter game too.

It is a bit lighter in weight than the mountain rifle.....and really handles recoil quite well. Many other good features too: like the controlled cartrige feed, three position safety, great trigger, stainless and "plastic" stock that requires little maintenance. Tough as a brick. The kevlar stock, ergonomics and pad must really soak up the recoil for the recoil is quite manageable. For long-range, bigger game sizes, or western hunting.....this would be a better choice.

If this gun was chambered in the 280 Rem.....I would pick it over the Mtn Rifle.....as my "one-gun battery".

My dad is the real rifle man in the family, and he thinks a Kimber is about as good as it gets.

Those make good partridge guns!

In my family, when we are talking deer huntin', it's 3X 7.08's and one 280.

In my family, when we are talking deer huntin', it's 3X 7.08's and one 280.

Yep...I agree that the 7.08 is about the perfect whitetail cartridge. I bought two of those for family members (one Rem and one Savage). Reasonable recoil and enough power for any deer-sized target....and more!

Funny thing. When you get to studying what is "out there" for cartridges.....they are all based off but a few sizes of brass. For example the 308 Winchester.....can also be had in neck diameters of 243, 6mm, 7mm.o8, and so on. Americans want to re-neck and tweak these base cartridges for so many purposes. Aint it great! :)

My first thought was my 25/06 but the gun I truly love is my Weatherby Mark XXII in bolt action. Although it's not old it is a beautiful gun and deadly accurate with the Anschutz barrel. I figure I can always chase them western animals with my bow.

I understand the guys saying they would keep their shotgun because of the versatility but I hate hunting deer with them. And if I'm only allowed one gun its got to be something that I enjoy and have confidence in for deer hunting.

I guess I'd probably just keep my old faithful dirty thirty. Its a Marlin 336 with a 4x powered fixed scope. Feels great in my hands walking through the woods. Shoulders and tracks great. I hunt thick woods, not large fields. Every deer I've hit with it didn't make it very far. I feel that I can take any animal inhabiting the woods I frequent with this firearm. And I can get ammo for it anywhere!!! I should mention that this was the first deer rifle I purchased and I've taken more deer with it than anything else I own.

With that being said I'd love to have an AR-10!!

I understand the guys saying they would keep their shotgun because of the versatility but I hate hunting deer with them. And if I'm only allowed one gun its got to be something that I enjoy and have confidence in for deer hunting.

I guess I'd probably just keep my old faithful dirty thirty. Its a Marlin 336 with a 4x powered fixed scope. Feels great in my hands walking through the woods. Shoulders and tracks great. I hunt thick woods, not large fields. Every deer I've hit with it didn't make it very far. I feel that I can take any animal inhabiting the woods I frequent with this firearm. And I can get ammo for it anywhere!!! I should mention that this was the first deer rifle I purchased and I've taken more deer with it than anything else I own.

With that being said I'd love to have an AR-10!!
Love my dpms lr-10 in .243! I shoot coyotes and javelina with it. I'd almost make that my one gun until l shot a 6.5x55. That little caliber is about as accurate a round as I've seen. I'd want it in a weatherby ultra-light weight but l don't think they chamber it in the little 6.5. I'd have to have the synthetic stock as I'm terribly clumsy and hunt az which has country that will scratch up a wood stock faster then you can think.