If I could only own one gun......it would be my:

That 280 Mountain Rifle sound sweet. I currently own 2 different Remington 700s and love them.

But, you said "one gun" instead of "one rifle" so I'm going to have to go a different direction. I'm going with my 870 Supermag 12 gauge. By changing shells I can go from quail - to turkeys - to deer - to self defense - to the largest animal on the planet with 00 Buckshot or a slug. In fact, if I had to face a big bear I would want a Hevishot turkey load in the chamber (to shoot him in the eyes) followed by two slugs. And I would definitely want my Nikes on my feet.:D

Those are the exact reasons I chose the 870 Native, but only 2 slugs? Pull that plug out and feed that tube. If I'm going to be around bear or anything else that dangerous, I want 1 in the tube and as many as possible in the magazine. I do like your thinking though, but I'm sure the Nikes wouldn't do ME a d#mn bit of good. A man's knees got to work right for his Nikes to work right. Being able to switch from 2-3/4" #8's to 3-1/2" OO Buckshot or a slug is a wonderful thing. Besides that "Uncle Joe" says "Buy a shotgun!"

Nice Foggy, I might chose your gun as I always wanted an ultra-light and the 280 is a great round. Of the current guns I have I would chose my Sako 7mm Remington with a 4.5-12 Luepold. The gun is a tack driver and for an all around gun is very flexible particularly when you hand-load.
I do have on my list a High-end custom/semi-custom gun like a Christensen that I would like to add to my inventory.

Freeborn. One thing I learnt ;) after a trip to the mountains in Idaho: you do NOT want any extra weight to carry. Funny how we all show up with a big back-pack full of stuff and medium weight gun. Later to be downsizing everything possible so you don't have to carry it. :)

Where are the discussions aobut the elver actions?
Freeborn. One thing I learnt ;) after a trip to the mountains in Idaho: you do NOT want any extra weight to carry. Funny how we all show up with a big back-pack full of stuff and medium weight gun. Later to be downsizing everything possible so you don't have to carry it. :)
I can remember worrying about the extra weight in the back pack, but then I look at the extra weight in my belly!

Those are the exact reasons I chose the 870 Native, but only 2 slugs? Pull that plug out and feed that tube. If I'm going to be around bear or anything else that dangerous, I want 1 in the tube and as many as possible in the magazine. I do like your thinking though, but I'm sure the Nikes wouldn't do ME a d#mn bit of good. A man's knees got to work right for his Nikes to work right. Being able to switch from 2-3/4" #8's to 3-1/2" OO Buckshot or a slug is a wonderful thing. Besides that "Uncle Joe" says "Buy a shotgun!"

LOL wiscwhip...those knees might gain some extra leverage when you saw him coming at you.:D

Foggy, you are right on the money wanting less weight. I've done my fair share of climbing over down timber and humping it up the mountain. Its funny how a person thinks they need so many things and then once you start hunting you need allot less. I have quite a streek of hunting in warm weather, of cource you need to always have cold weather gear but I have almost never worn it.

Unfortuantely I didn't get drawn for New Mexico Elk, just got the notice. Got any advice on a fun hunt without using points? A buddy and I wanted to go west this fall and now I need a backup plan.

Foggy, you are right on the money wanting less weight. I've done my fair share of climbing over down timber and humping it up the mountain. Its funny how a person thinks they need so many things and then once you start hunting you need allot less. I have quite a streek of hunting in warm weather, of cource you need to always have cold weather gear but I have almost never worn it.

Unfortuantely I didn't get drawn for New Mexico Elk, just got the notice. Got any advice on a fun hunt without using points? A buddy and I wanted to go west this fall and now I need a backup plan.
You can always get a cow tag for NM for Dec or Jan. Fun hunt and likely to get some fine meat. Also, I'm not sure about current regs in NM.....but you used to be able to go hunting with an outfitter that had land-owner tags. It was a sure deal and I doubt it would cost you any preference points. Pretty high success rates where I went in NM.....and was a nice hunt too. Took an elk home each time. :)

Last edited:

Colorado-I could point you where we used to hunt if CWD does not bother you.

You can always get a cow tag for NM for Dec or Jan. Fun hunt and likely to get some fine meat. Also, I'm not sure about current regs in NM.....but you used to be able to go hunting with an outfitter that had land-owner tags. It was a sure deal and I doubt it would cost you any preference points. Pretty high success rates where I went in NM.....and was a nice hunt too. Took an elk home each time. :)

Thanks Foggy I'm going to try and find horns (Elk or Mule Deer or Antelope) to hunt. I have an outfitter we were using if we got drawn and I still need to touch base with him and see what he has to offer for landowner tags. I'm not tied to NM but like you indicated the results are good in NM. I might try Colorado OTC tags or leftowner tags but I'm not lined up with an outfitter so we will see. Thanks!

Check out Ray Milligan in Chama NM. I imagine he has videos and a web site. Good operation. Tell him I sent you. (hope he doesn't charge you more ;))

Remington model 700 classic 30/06 would be my only rifle if I was limited to one. If 2 the other would be a marlin 336 30/30.

I had a 97, but sold it.

It was too new!

How about some old Damascus barreled shotguns?

You might like this one.
4-16-12054.jpg

4-16-12043-1.jpg

It's a 16 ga. Husqvarna Model 44 built in the 1880's I shoot low-pressure 7/8 oz. loads for grouse and woodcock through her.

That is a work of art, beautiful gun grey!

That is a work of art, beautiful gun grey!
Thanks. When you think of the tools they had to work with, they truly were craftsmen.

In my state you can't beat the versatility of a good 12 gauge! It isn't a classic but I have put my mossy 500 thru the wringer and she keeps on ticking. You can pretty much hunt anything with it in the Hoosier state and with a slug can step up to black bear and elk if you desire, but is limited in range - My state limits rifle cartridge use for deer to .357" diameter or larger x 1.16min to 1.8 max case length. This grossly narrows things down and has only been allowed in the past few years. Can't bring myself to buy another gun that I can essentially only deer hunt with for 16 days out of the year. My mossy 500 and CVA smokepole give me all the range I need for deer.

The next thing is for someone to guess what kind of wood that gun is hanging on. In 20 years I've not had anyone to guess it correct yet...LOL.
Chestnut?

Chestnut?

No, but that is a good guess. If you want to keep guessing, I will give you 10 more guesses. If you want me to go ahead and tell you, just let me know.

You might like this one.
4-16-12054.jpg

4-16-12043-1.jpg

It's a 16 ga. Husqvarna Model 44 built in the 1880's I shoot low-pressure 7/8 oz. loads for grouse and woodcock through her.

Absolutely beautiful of double!!!

No, but that is a good guess. If you want to keep guessing, I will give you 10 more guesses. If you want me to go ahead and tell you, just let me know.
cypress? you have cypress in your zone?

cypress? you have cypress in your zone?

No not cypress, but another good guess. And, I looked on a US distribution map and you northern guys have this tree too. Looks like it is in states bordering the great lakes for sure - also in Texas and fairly far west.

Last edited:
I guess id have to go with the shotgun crowd.
I have my dads 870 with a 30" barrel that he bought as a kid.
That gun has killed many a animal!