Gun Talk

S.T.Fanatic

5 year old buck +
With all of this gun talk I think I'm going to add one to the cabinet. It is only a matter of time before MN allows straight walled rifle hunting in the shotgun zone. I want to try to get ahead of the game. The gun I have been looking into is a marlin 1895 sbl in 45-70 I want one bad! If the bill never passes it will be a cool gun. I don't have any leavers and that would be a nice gun to have.

Talk me into/out of it.

Don't think the 45-70 is allowed in IL. Case length to long. Have a friend who wants one bad. But we're also limited to one shot for now.

Don't think the 45-70 is allowed in IL. Case length to long. Have a friend who wants one bad. But we're also limited to one shot for now.
I believe that may end up being the case here as well but I still want one bad.

Is the 450 bushmaster allowed?

I almost bought a 45-70 when I got my first bear tag. I bumped it back to the wish list and off the shopping list.

Both of those are allowed in IL. What isn't allowed is the lever. They have to be a single shot, or made to be a single shot, such as a bolt with a removable magazine. I did plenty of looking mostly between the 45-70, 444 and 450. Settled on the 450 being the best.

I had a Remlin SBL…..it was very accurate. The extra weight of the laminate stocks help with recoil. The glove loop/ big loop on a pistol grip is really nice for recoil.
If you get one, check, out Jim Brockman rifles gooding Idaho.

I have a Remlin CB with the shorter barrel. I had Brockman put on a recoil pad, and make a glove loop. I haven’t really worked it up yet.

I seem to shoot pistol grips better…..but I can’t seem to keep them.

I hunt with a 45-70 in Ohio sometimes. I love it. We were shotgun only most of my life, so I'm used to a big slow unstoppable wrecking-ball of a bullet making a huge hole clear through the deer, and leaving a good blood trail which I rarely even need. I love my 308, but that 45-70 is hard to beat for still hunting deer. I'm looking forward to using it on hogs and bears.

Big and slow is the way 2 go.

If the range you know, and wanna eat 2 the hole.