Hunting / recreation and timberland values in your location?

I just bought my slice 2 years ago at 54. Only regret is I didn’t do it sooner. I may have an opportunity to add adjacent acreage in the future. I would no doubt do it if I can.
From what I’ve seen other properties very near me listed for in the past year I think I got a pretty good deal and prices are doing nothing but going north as others have said.

Land prices continue to climb in all places I'm looking. It also seems like a lot of pieces are getting split up in smaller pieces, which is unfortunate. Its quite depressing to see your spending power get deminished.

Just saw a listing for a 40 acre parcel near me. It is about 70% wooded and is under MFL contract. Price is $6,875/ac.

I've noticed higher prices locally for hunting acreage too. Not sure how many pay these asking prices......but a new base seems to be forming at higher numbers.

When I first started buying ranch land in Mexico back in 1996 I paid $65 an acre. Today premium quality hunting property in our neighborhood goes for $1000 acre. Thats still the best bargain for hunting property in North America.

When I first started buying ranch land in Mexico back in 1996 I paid $65 an acre. Today premium quality hunting property in our neighborhood goes for $1000 acre. Thats still the best bargain for hunting property in North America.
How much would a guy need to own to have decent hunting? Assuming a 40 wouldn't quite cut it?

Twenty five-thirty years ago farm ground couple counties north of me was $900 an acre...I wish I could have afforded to by some nice big odd rough ground back then!

How much would a guy need to own to have decent hunting? Assuming a 40 wouldn't quite cut it?
Granted the ranches around us are large. that said we have one pasture that is 2300 acres not contiguous to the rest of our property and it regularly produces 190" + bucks.

2300 acres at $900 / acre = $2,000,000 investment to shoot 190" bucks? I think I will take a hard pass on that one. Better have more incentives than that? Will that land produce hay or graze some cows?

2300 acres at $900 / acre = $2,000,000 investment to shoot 190" bucks? I think I will take a hard pass on that one. Better have more incentives than that? Will that land produce hay or graze some cows?
thats one way to look at it. Or... Pay $65 an acre. Build a world class whitetail program . Shoot a bunch of terrific bucks off it . Then sell it for $1000 acre. But it 'could ' be even better than that. Sell it for $1000 acre and owner finance with the owner not taking possession for 5 yrs. Could it graze some cows. Yes. But I've never made any money off cows. But there is lots of money to be made off creating trophy whitetail habitat.

thats one way to look at it. Or... Pay $65 an acre. Build a world class whitetail program . Shoot a bunch of terrific bucks off it . Then sell it for $1000 acre. But it 'could ' be even better than that. Sell it for $1000 acre and owner finance with the owner not taking possession for 5 yrs. Could it graze some cows. Yes. But I've never made any money off cows. But there is lots of money to be made off creating trophy whitetail habitat.
Yep.....when your in at that price I can see it. Gonna be hard to find "the greater fool" at some prices tho. Not as many players at the higher numbers. (Tho....I agree with your plan.)

Just got a letter today from "Land Swan" out of Wisconsin. .....and they are offering $1315 / acre for my place. It sounds like they are looking for property where the owner could lose it due to back taxes or some other hardship situation. Fast close / fast cash. Hard to find any hunting land under $4000 an acre in the immediate vicinity now. Tho you can buy swamp land for $2000 / acre west of here. Not sure you could hunt it.

Just got a letter today from "Land Swan" out of Wisconsin. .....and they are offering $1315 / acre for my place. It sounds like they are looking for property where the owner could lose it due to back taxes or some other hardship situation. Fast close / fast cash. Hard to find any hunting land under $4000 an acre in the immediate vicinity now. Tho you can buy swamp land for $2000 / acre west of here. Not sure you could hunt it.
I get those offers too, not from Land Swan but others..

I look at it like the robo calls - not sure who would fall for it, but it must be effective or they wouldn't do it?!?

They are most likely targeting folks that inherited the land and don't know what to do with it, and don't realize the value. It will be interesting to see if we have another 1980s event. Just imagine the kids growing up today. They won't even be able to buy 10 acres.

$2 mil for 190’s. Sign me up all day long!

They are most likely targeting folks that inherited the land and don't know what to do with it, and don't realize the value. It will be interesting to see if we have another 1980s event. Just imagine the kids growing up today. They won't even be able to buy 10 acres.
In the last 20 years.....top quality farm land has gone from about $2500 / acre to about $12,500 an acre in Southern Minnesota. Some sold for more. That's a 5x increase in prices.....and I doubt it will stop there.

The last run up was in the 60's when land went from about $500 / acre to about $2500 / acre. Again.....about a 5x run up.......give or take. Seems to me land will solidify at about these prices for a period before another run. ....but who knows?

$2 mil for 190’s. Sign me up all day long!
You would be very wise with a purchase like this assuming as with all real estate deals
You can afford to buy it
you can afford to keep it and sell it when YOU are ready
Since this thread is about recreational property then are you passionate about it
And with that are you willing to invest in it
Probably other questions but that is a good start.
Here is why I think you are wise
As I review recreational prices mentioned in this thread most range from min $3500 acre to much more. Many that buy at that price ultimately sell parts to make the purchase more affordable. At $1000 acre you are already ahead of the game. Smart buyers look for underlying advantages beyond just the direct recreational value though I argue creating top quality wildlife habitat has a very strong multiplier effect on property value.

Now , specifically, why would $1000 /acre in the area along the Rio Grande River between Guerrero Coahuila and Nuevo Laredo Mx. be wise. First, again since this thread is about recreational property I argue there is no finer wildlife property in N. America But thats just me. So if one can afford to buy recreational property this area cant be beat! Second, prices have been steadily going up since the 90's once folks figured out how extraordinary this area is. But here is the real kicker. This area lies right in the middle of the Eagle Ford Shale oil/gas play. One of the largest plays in N. America. Mexico imports most of its oil/gas. Pemex doesn't have the technology or money to exploit the play. The current President of Mexico is anti fracking. BUT ... it is easy to believe that the day will come when the U.S. is allowed to exploit the play and the framework is already in place for landowners to benefit. So, if you are in a position to hold the property for a while..like the 25 years you mentioned... your $1000/acre purchase just became brilliant creating generational wealth...if only you would have bought my 2300 acre pasture.

For chuckles, directly across the river 2 mile away, the Faith ranch leased his 40,000 acres for $10,000 acre plus 1/3 royalty. That suggest how lucrative the play is.

BTW, its $2,300,000 for 190's not $2M :)

$1,000 is an incredible price. If I didn't hate heat , I'd be really tempted to go south for that kind of deal. It's all but impossible to even find pieces that big up here.
Buying wild land isn't just about big bucks. It's an investment that doubles as a way of life.

You would be very wise with a purchase like this assuming as with all real estate deals
You can afford to buy it
you can afford to keep it and sell it when YOU are ready
Since this thread is about recreational property then are you passionate about it
And with that are you willing to invest in it
Probably other questions but that is a good start.
Here is why I think you are wise
As I review recreational prices mentioned in this thread most range from min $3500 acre to much more. Many that buy at that price ultimately sell parts to make the purchase more affordable. At $1000 acre you are already ahead of the game. Smart buyers look for underlying advantages beyond just the direct recreational value though I argue creating top quality wildlife habitat has a very strong multiplier effect on property value.

Now , specifically, why would $1000 /acre in the area along the Rio Grande River between Guerrero Coahuila and Nuevo Laredo Mx. be wise. First, again since this thread is about recreational property I argue there is no finer wildlife property in N. America But thats just me. So if one can afford to buy recreational property this area cant be beat! Second, prices have been steadily going up since the 90's once folks figured out how extraordinary this area is. But here is the real kicker. This area lies right in the middle of the Eagle Ford Shale oil/gas play. One of the largest plays in N. America. Mexico imports most of its oil/gas. Pemex doesn't have the technology or money to exploit the play. The current President of Mexico is anti fracking. BUT ... it is easy to believe that the day will come when the U.S. is allowed to exploit the play and the framework is already in place for landowners to benefit. So, if you are in a position to hold the property for a while..like the 25 years you mentioned... your $1000/acre purchase just became brilliant creating generational wealth...if only you would have bought my 2300 acre pasture.

For chuckles, directly across the river 2 mile away, the Faith ranch leased his 40,000 acres for $10,000 acre plus 1/3 royalty. That suggest how lucrative the play is.

BTW, its $2,300,000 for 190's not $2M :)
Absolutely, I know a little about Mexico and it seems like a true gem for big deer. And relative to what we have to pay for anything even in the ballpark of antler inches here, it’s pennies on the dollar.
But like hillrunner, I have an aversion to heat and I love the trees and fields and creeks of the Midwest. But that’s why i commented that I’d pay $2 mil for 190’s all day long here cause it’s going to likely cost you more. And if you could produce that caliber of deer here, it’s worth way more.

Old Mexico certainly has a Wild West feel.

That said, gambling on future oil/gas royalties at that cheap an entry point makes sense to this unstudied individual.

ETA: this is in no way a dig at my favorite poster Baker.