Your opinions are welcomed on this parcel

Turkish

5 year old buck +
65 acres down the road from some other hunting land I own. My objective is to have 2-400 acres contiguous, secluded, quiet. This parcel isn’t located where that would be an ultimate outcome. With that said, it may be available at a good price, and until I’m able to really have that dream spot, I could likely get some enjoyment out of this one and add some value to it. Roads on 3 sides but the one to the south is a Natl Park Service parkway. It’s virtually all flat, which is not too common in this area and attractive for eventual homesite development. The eastern 35 acres has been farmed yearly with likely modest rent ($80-100/ac). Maybe some CRP potential. Timbered portion is non-merchantable hardwood, scattered oaks and a lot of trashy privet.

How would you set it up to maximize hunting opportunities, keep screening from the parkway, and have a relatively secluded 1-acre barn or home site? A 5-10 acre dove field is a feature I could really get some use out of. Tia!

Attachments

• 53C69483-2130-4D9A-88B2-65608DEA17EE.jpeg
    53C69483-2130-4D9A-88B2-65608DEA17EE.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 34
  • F1837307-01B5-4373-86F0-BF456F8FB54A.jpeg
    F1837307-01B5-4373-86F0-BF456F8FB54A.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 34
If it’s a good price, that’s a big plus in the equation!

If the right price just hunt till ready to resell for land you want,sounds like you may want to buy that piece and research 1031C

If it's a good price, I would go for it. The ag rents can cover the costs, I assume. It looks like a great place to put a staging area to get deer moving south to North. A dove plot might be a lot of work if you don't take from the rented ag land.

As mentioned previously, you can do a 1031 exchange when you find the right spot and avoid taxes on the gains.

What is a NPS parkway? Common vehicle traffic accessing the Park? Doesn’t look like much of a road on the pics and I’m used to those dotted lines meaning hiking or OHV trails?

What is a NPS parkway? Common vehicle traffic accessing the Park? Doesn’t look like much of a road on the pics and I’m used to those dotted lines meaning hiking or OHV trails?
Good question. National Park Service. It’s basically the equivalent of a 2-lane state highway with a 50-mph speed limit. No development ever. Relatively quiet roadway as there are entrances (intersections) only every 10 miles or so. Penalties for poaching are at the federal level but there’s still plenty of concern for road hunting given the seclusion and lack of traffic. Screening would be a must.