Critique this ‘potential’ opportunity

Turkish

5 year old buck +
My parents own 130 acres in MS. Dad and I looked for hunting land to buy for awhile before he found this place. It was a little less $ than we’d considered but was in a neighborhood we really liked. He bought it, and about 2 years later I bought 85 acres of timbered land about 3 miles away. We’re used to hunting in woods and much prefer it, though I’ve come to appreciate the opportunities that open land provide (ability to have a dove field and plant trees, namely). I’ve been actively seeking opportunities to add to our holdings in either location. For the most part the land around me is owned by one family and they seem more interested in buying my land than selling me any of theirs.

I live about 2.5 hours away from these properties, while my parents are 30 mins away.

In this area, timberland goes for around $2000 per acre plus timber value. Pasture land can bring over $3k per acre.

A neighbor to Dad’s land (about 100 acres, with a small house) may be selling soon, and I’d like a critique. It’s nearly all pasture land, fenced and cross fenced. The neighbor passed away 2 yrs ago and had only used the land for hay production, which another neighbor cuts and buys. Aesthetically, this tract is about as pretty as it gets in this area. Rolling hills, ponds, timbered creek.

Assuming this land were available and I could afford it (after selling some or all of what I have) here are some ups and downs I see. Of course, neighboring land isn’t available often. Should I try to make a move on it? Ideally, I’d have land much closer to home, but it gets much more expensive, the closer it gets.

Pros:
-More contiguous property. We’d nearly double our contiguous ground, making it all a little more maintainable and usable.
-Some small ponds — fishing opportunities, which is a long term goal for the family.
-Access to utilities that we don’t currently have.
-Storage. There’s a barn on the place and Dad’s land currently has nothing.
-A house. Another goal for me/ my family has been a hunting camp/cabin we could spend weekends

Cons:
- A house. Is upkeep going to eat my lunch?
- I’d be trading timber land for higher cost pasture ground and then taking the pasture ground out of production. Over the next 10-15 years, my timberland will be an income producer (though modestly). If I owned the pasture land, I’d likely forsaking its income potential, by tailoring it more toward hunting. I’d not plant it in trees, but I wouldn’t continue selling hay from the majority of the acreage.
-We’d have much fewer “hunting spots.” The neighbor’s 100 ac would hunt a lot smaller than the 85 ac of timber I currently own. And dad’s land basically has 2 hunting spots, given the impenetrable nature of the young pines that comprise much of his acreage.
-upkeep in general. My timberland is easy to manage for an absentee like me. This open ground would require much more active management, and more costly management, unless I enrolled in some govt program.

Here are some photos. Dad’s land is in yellow, 90 ac of young pine, 40 ac of regenerating steep pasture. The neighbor’s is in red. The green road is a gravel county road, along which there are no utilities. There are utilities along the blue road.

028559B0-9C2C-4AF1-97B4-AA361F381FD3.jpeg
And some close ups.
790036ED-645E-411E-BCB8-5953CE92B333.png
044A114B-D5F2-40A5-B94A-8F65FF6270F5.png

Last edited:
I sure like the look of the adjacent place. Would you still sell hay off of it? That will take much of the maintenance out of it and create some income.

Maybe I missed it but what's the chances you will eventually buy or inherit your dad's place and have control of the entire track?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I sure like the look of the adjacent place. Would you still sell hay off of it? That will take much of the maintenance out of it and create some income.

Maybe I missed it but what's the chances you will eventually buy or inherit your dad's place and have control of the entire track?

Well, you’re picking up on the dilemma — the more hay I sell the less I’d have to hunt. The neighbor that cuts the hay complains that it needs some management (lime) for it to continue to be worth his time. If I took much away from him, he’d probably not continue to cut it, as he has some bigger, more productive parcels to focus his time.

I will someday inherit my parents’ land, hope it’s a long ways off.

Whatever you do... DON'T START PLANTING FRUIT TREES IN THAT HAY PASTURE! It will ruin your life, cause you to go broke, strain wife relationships, and make you allergic to rational thought.

We’ve learned that our tree rearing abilities don’t reach beyond hard mast species.

Depends on your goals, rent pasture rent house there is some income. Maybe change to another crop that has preference to deer no idea if you can do alfalfa or clover in your location Also as far as the farmer goes I would make sure he is adding back what he is taking off. Around here they better be fertilizing and liming to leave it as they found it or you can find someone who will pretty easily. Layout of the potential property looks like it would be good to own the way it lays in with the others.

Throwing this out there I always thought get as much land touching as possible however after ehd decimated a couple of properties really glad I had some that were a few miles away of it. Also if the properties are not connected you can rest one and bounce around a little. I have a couple different places to hunt and nice to keep one or two low impact and save it for later in the season.

For example two years ago dad shot a big deer on Halloween on a 200 acre farm we couldn’t find it and called in a bloodhound he tracked that deer all over the property that farm went dead for a while if that was the only place we had to hunt would have been a really slow November. Thankfully still had a few other places to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy the farm. Fire the hay farmer and bulldoze the house.

Next question?

yeah that’s over simplified but.....

Last edited:
Just based on the maps, the potential property has more eye appeal than I expected. Seems the pros outweigh the cons. Any chance you can keep 40 acres of timber and still possibly swing a deal on the new stuff? Maybe keep 20 acres of timber just for a 2nd spot, like Booner talks about? If forced to choose between multiple smaller spots or one bigger one, I'd choose the bigger one. Ground next door usually comes up for sale once in a lifetime, or less often than that.

Just based on the maps, the potential property has more eye appeal than I expected. Seems the pros outweigh the cons. Any chance you can keep 40 acres of timber and still possibly swing a deal on the new stuff? Maybe keep 20 acres of timber just for a 2nd spot, like Booner talks about? If forced to choose between multiple smaller spots or one bigger one, I'd choose the bigger one. Ground next door usually comes up for sale once in a lifetime, or less often than that.
My land is 2 different 40ac parcels. I could sell one and not the other but clearly that makes it a more costly endeavor

Once in a lifetime. Once.
Trust me. At least where I hunt.

Of course I would have to sit down and crunch the numbers and consider a few other aspects, but I would likely do the following:

Sell my woods properties and buy the farm. Focus on the farm for a while. Buy more timbered land at some point in the future if I really wanted to have some.

For me the proximity to my own house and my family would be the primary factor for spending time with them and the ability to cooperate on projects. Plus, that property has HUGE potential. Fishing, waterfowl, doves, etc. And when I see a big tract of pines, it gets me really interested. The best hunting I have ever seen is on the edges of a big block of pines.

Timber lined creek is an obvious funnel

Lots of good edge at south of new property and a good water source at west

I would be excited at the prospect of buying contiguous property

bill

At the end of the day it's a very personal decision, but I just don't see the cons. You talk about the land on the prospective property being pastureland and hay ground. It confuses me because, in my world, it's one or the other. I know I'm putting a fine point on it, but each is valued differently. That you would want to take that fenced and x-fenced land out of production sounds crazy to me....unless you have a pile of money and can play anyway you see fit, but, in reading your prospective, I sense land use is a consideration. Renting cropland generates income. Can you afford to pay for that potential and then turn it off? Start another thread and ask, "What would you do with this pasture/hay ground to make the hunting more QDM(?) and still allow it to be cropped/pastured? But, you don't know the asking price, yet, or, for that matter, if it's even for sale?

Just from a deer hunting perspective, timber is overrated. I'd rather have field that can be sculpted into what hunts and holds deer best. But, from a turkey hunting perspective, the right layout of timber is gold.

I'd want to know what the neighbors are like and what they do as far as hunting. I'd be more apt to have the property in a place where neighbors let bucks get more mature rather than neighbors that shoot the younger bucks.

I'd also base my choice on the memories you can make with family. More time together = more memories together.

At the end of the day it's a very personal decision, but I just don't see the cons. You talk about the land on the prospective property being pastureland and hay ground. It confuses me because, in my world, it's one or the other. I know I'm putting a fine point on it, but each is valued differently. That you would want to take that fenced and x-fenced land out of production sounds crazy to me....unless you have a pile of money and can play anyway you see fit, but, in reading your prospective, I sense land use is a consideration. Renting cropland generates income. Can you afford to pay for that potential and then turn it off? Start another thread and ask, "What would you do with this pasture/hay ground to make the hunting more QDM(?) and still allow it to be cropped/pastured? But, you don't know the asking price, yet, or, for that matter, if it's even for sale?
Thanks, Dan. The points your make are the sort of detractors also tempering my enthusiasm.

To boot, I’m sure there are plenty of words we Deep Southerners say that East Coasters consider “incorrect.” And if I wait until this land is “for sale” to consider these things, I’ll assuredly miss out.

Last edited:
I'll give you the worst case scenario if you want some motivation. 100 acre property north of me has been for sale for years. Pie in the sky price of something like $12K per acre shooting for a developer to buy it. Realistic price is closer to $7K. This is flooded timber and crap farm ground but we are fairly close to Chicago so everything is expensive. Actual timber and crop combined it should really be like $2500 but I digress..... Well, it is under contract now to a trailer park developer. Neighbors have tried fighting it but we basically lost. Still one pending lawsuit maybe by a local golf course. My point is, if you don't buy it, you can't really control who is going to buy it and sometimes that ends up being really, really bad.

No brainer. Buy it and don't look back. You won't regret it. You'll see your wisdom in your later years. The neighboring property will be one you hold on to. Split land holdings become a pain.

Ya I would buy it too. Land around me doesn't come up for sale very often either and nowhere near those prices. 253 acre farm right down the road just went up for sale again. It was for sale a year ago too. But they are asking a premium. $1.995 Mil. That's definitely the pie in the sky price but I think they were asking 2.5 last time. Any chance you could sell the hay and maybe in exchange for the farmer adding some food plots, habitat/brush hog access roads. I think I'd definitely be letting some of that pasture land grow up for bedding.

How good are those heavy woods to the south of the properties? If that's decent turf, that'd be a dream type property around here. A combo farm on the edge of that kind of timber doesn't really come up for sale often. Is it a good neighbor to the south? Loaded with treestands on the fence? If by the slim chance it's actually a sanctuary of some sort, I'd try to have it bought yesterday.

Would you be able to rent the land out for a crop, such as corn or beans? You could take in the income from renting the land, all while the farmer is the one planting, and paying for the deer food plot, then at the end of the season, just ask the farmer to leave some well placed standing corn patches in the field for deer to feed on.