Hunting / recreation and timberland values in your location?

The *asking* prices in my neighborhood in WI are out of control right now. They've gone up $1,500 to $3,000/acre in the past three months. Absolutely wild, don't know how many of them get their price though. I'm tapped out, so I'm only window shopping.
This is one of the ones. I have zero idea where this is but it looks good from 30,000’. Don’t know where they started at but that price doesn’t seem out of line for bigger properties in high quality regions. But maybe I’m wrong.
https://wpgo.me/84c982

The *asking* prices in my neighborhood in WI are out of control right now. They've gone up $1,500 to $3,000/acre in the past three months. Absolutely wild, don't know how many of them get their price though. I'm tapped out, so I'm only window shopping.
My son-in-law spends some time at his cabin in Buffalo County WI. He keeps eyeing over land there.....and tells me that decent timber / hunting / ag land goes for about $9000 an acre on a nice tract of land. For many....that puts things out of reach with interest rates where they are now.

My son-in-law spends some time at his cabin in Buffalo County WI. He keeps eyeing over land there.....and tells me that decent timber / hunting / ag land goes for about $9000 an acre on a nice tract of land. For many....that puts things out of reach with interest rates where they are now.
But…that is literally the best county in the country. Statistically anyway. It’s a name even casual trophy guys know of. With that said, even “no name” counties are getting out of reach for a lot of folks. Though someone’s buying so it’s not that far out of reach yet.

This is one of the ones. I have zero idea where this is but it looks good from 30,000’. Don’t know where they started at but that price doesn’t seem out of line for bigger properties in high quality regions. But maybe I’m wrong.
https://wpgo.me/84c982
That's a nice area but it's also getting into wolf country and if it's like anywhere else when the wolves move in it goes downhill quick. Looks like plenty of good trail camera pics but that price is still historically high for up there even after being reduced.

My 40 in Pierce county, 2 counties north of Buffalo, just sold for $8,700+/acre.

Land near my honey hole in SW WI has been listed for 7k to 9.5k in the past few months, weeks, days. I bought for around 4k under 2 years ago.

But…that is literally the best county in the country. Statistically anyway. It’s a name even casual trophy guys know of. With that said, even “no name” counties are getting out of reach for a lot of folks. Though someone’s buying so it’s not that far out of reach yet.

I think the hype caught up to Buffalo County and it’s not what it used to be . I spoke with an Outdoor Channel guy (one of US top archers)…

He sold in Buffalo County Wisconsin and moved to Warren County, Iowa. His in depth study — pics and sightings comparisons—were 5-1 Pope & Young bucks in Iowa.

30+ in Iowa to 5-8 in Buffalo County that were on his farm more than say 1-2 times. Similar size farms .

Now I know that’s one example, and there are great Buffalo County farms but it’s getting broke up into 40 & even 20 acre parcels .

I’m hearing a consensus of not as good from many guys that hunt there.

Last edited:
I think the hype caught up to Buffalo County and it’s not what it used to be . I spoke with an Outdoor Channel guy (one of US top archers)…

He sold in Buffalo County Wisconsin and moved to Warren County, Iowa. His in depth study — pics and sightings comparisons—were 5-1 Pope & Young bucks in Iowa.

30+ in Iowa to 5-8 in Buffalo County that were on his farm more than say 1-2 times. Similar size farms .

Now I know that’s one example, and there are great Buffalo County farms but it’s getting broke up into 40 & even 20 acre parcels .

I’m hearing a consensus of not as good from many guys that hunt there.
Everything you said about Buffalo is true. The same is true for Iowa, not much is as good as it used to be. Still some gems out there but they are hard to find and the locals keep their mouths shut for good reason.

Everything you said about Buffalo is true. The same is true for Iowa, not much is as good as it used to be. Still some gems out there but they are hard to find and the locals keep their mouths shut for good reason.
EHD has been hard on parts of Iowa. Most states unfortunately are not as good as they were even 5 yrs ago.

EHD has been hard on parts of Iowa. Most states unfortunately are not as good as they were even 5 yrs ago.
Agreed!

Recreational values in my area far exceed ag. I could expect to get $2k-3K an acre sold as ag, Sold as recreation I would be looking at $8k+/acre. The world has gone stupid.

Mine just appraised at almost double what I paid for it. Paid $74,000 for just under 12 acres 6 years ago. Just appraised for $139,000 as part of my divorce assets. (lucky me) I'm currently getting a second opinion because I don't agree with their comparison properties at all.

Recreational values in my area far exceed ag. I could expect to get $2k-3K an acre sold as ag, Sold as recreation I would be looking at $8k+/acre. The world has gone stupid.
That sounds crazy, where is this? What are the primary ag uses for the land? Roughly what would land rent be for ag use land?
This is a big country but that sounds like a whole different world than here.

Send me some links for ag land for sale in your area. I’m a buyer!

I just saw 154 acres for $180,000

Farmground seems to be bringing more in my part of Kansas as an auction I just was at ag went for 4100.00 and pasture went for 3800.00 per acre

Jake Hofer from the land podcast was saying that at least in Illinois, price per acre for the highest quality of ag ground has actually pulled back quite a bit, and recreational ground has actually appreciated some.

That looks like it could be slough ground in wolf country, and with wetland laws, that land could be completely useless from an economic and recreational standpoint. That's about the only way that price point makes sense.