Hunting / recreation and timberland values in your location?

Foggy47

5 year old buck +
I've seen several threads on farmland values.....but the recreational land values may be substantially different. These areas are largely the poorest lands that are not suitable for much besides hunting and timber......maybe a home on the acreage?

In the area I currently live....there is some rangeland and farmland.....but it's of generally poor quality. The timberland and open land may bring similar values here due to the sandy soils in most areas. Some farmers will make some decent hay and feed some steers. Generally it would take irrigation to reliably grow a crop.

However, very locally to me is prime Minnesota lake country.....and the population here is relatively high with the metro folks spending weekends here....and wanting outdoor recreational property and hunting land.....which is in relatively short supply. I suppose similar land 30 to 50 miles further away may sell for 1/2 of the local values. I estimate current hunting / timber / recreational land locally to fetch $3,500 to $4,000 / acre. Improved land may bring more? (electric, good roads, buildings, etc).

What values in your area?.....what say you?

Missouri is kind of easy compared to other states. Mizzou Extension conducts a land value survey. This triangulates pretty well with the Fed Bank of Kansas City's report on price per acre for the same area. These are what we used for the farm purchase we made in March of this year. Based on comps of similar land for sale, I think these are both pretty accurate.

Most land agents will say auctions are the best way of determining market value. I'd recommend checking on local auctions in an area you're shopping.

Reactions: 356
$4000 an acre for my area on larger tracts smaller parcels are bringing more.

That's pretty much exactly what it is in Northern MO at the moment.

$4000/acre, $5000 an acre (or more)if its smaller and buildable. If it’s rough or swampy, it might be $2500-3000.

Location?

There are so many considerations. For example, our 40 acres in Southern Missouri is worth $2000 acre, has amazing deer and a nice pond. There are no utilities on or near the property. The issue is access, which is required by law, but means going through a locked gate And driving on a two-track for several miles. Limited access of course, contributes to the nice deer. Another small property in SW Missouri is $5000 acre. While it has good access, the hunting is so-so. The proximity to a major lake and the nice woods are the primary attractions. Our NW Missouri farmland is $10K acre, with the adjacent woodlands being $6K acre. This is driven in part due to being only 20 minutes from the northern end of the Kansas City Metro area.

My wife’s property in northern MN may fetch $2000/acre, despite a nice river with access to Lake Vermillion. Building on it would be difficult.

The past three years have seen each of these properties appreciate and hold.

Ten years ago it was around $2K-$3K an acre for rough ground here.
In the last few years it has blown up. For rough ground non tillable that even floods it’s $10K-$12K now. Pretty much just for hunting, same the next couple counties around me.

Farm ground has gone stupid too, it’s common to see it go for $18K-$20K mostly private sales. I don’t get it, no way could it even ever pay for itself with farming. Most of the bigger farmers in my area are fifth generation and expanding buying up all they can.
The people buying the hunting ground are looking for woods from 5 acres to 40 acres middle income families.

For a wooded house lot in the country here the prices are flat out crazy if someone could even find one.

$5,000 an acre is happening a lot here. Some places are a lot more and others less. Occasionally I see strictly hunting land listed for $2,000 per acre, but it is becoming more uncommon. One big (mostly wooded) tract near me has been listed for about $3500 per acre for a long time and no one is buying it. Another nearby tract that is mostly cleared and around 50 acres with a nice barn has been listed for a long time at $6,000 per acre, but it likewise is just setting there.

A friend of mine who lives in the whiskey distillery region north of me says it is not uncommon for the whiskey folks to pay $10,000 per acre for rough land out in the country that they want for rack houses, etc....

Here is a good web site to see what people are asking for land in various places. However, it doesn't necessarily mean that anyone if paying that much.

Tons of variables obviously. Rough east tn or ky ground is $1000/acres or even less sometimes but it’s largely useless. Get into the flatter ground, even all wooded or recent cut stuff is $3500/acre plus.

Average $3200 acre south AR where nobody wants to live. $15,000 per acre eastern AR if a duck has ever flown over it.
I saw 320 acres of flooded timber with zero improvements yesterday for $4 mil. Didn’t even have a pump but they said one could be had for $20k.

I saw 320 acres of flooded timber with zero improvements yesterday for $4 mil. Didn’t even have a pump but they said one could be had for $20k.
I also hear flooding ground is high as heck now too - both diesel and electric.

I know some guys bought 100 acres this time last year - about 75 acres flooded timber. I think they paid over $10k to flood it. They killed 27 ducks on it last winter

I also hear flooding ground is high as heck now too - both diesel and electric.

I know some guys bought 100 acres this time last year - about 75 acres flooded timber. I think they paid over $10k to flood it. They killed 27 ducks on it last winter

I'm a recovered waterfowl freak and the idea of big $ of duck ground seems insane. 27 ducks is a morning freelance hunt on the prairie.

$3-4k seems pretty normal where it's not good farm ground or desirable development ground near my place. I really like how my property lays out for hunting but I do like the idea of getting some better tillable and something a little more suited to building on for long term value appreciation. Good tillable varies widely based on soil quality and local market factors.

$5,000 an acre is happening a lot here. Some places are a lot more and others less. Occasionally I see strictly hunting land listed for $2,000 per acre, but it is becoming more uncommon. One big (mostly wooded) tract near me has been listed for about $3500 per acre for a long time and no one is buying it.
How big is it? Seems like maybe splitting it up would help them get it sold. Was something like 320 acres near home listed for a while around $2.5 million and it sat. They split it into 7 parcels and it disappeared immediately. I wish there were more big parcels but they are getting split up fast.

How big is it? Seems like maybe splitting it up would help them get it sold. Was something like 320 acres near home listed for a while around $2.5 million and it sat. They split it into 7 parcels and it disappeared immediately. I wish there were more big parcels but they are getting split up fast.
I physically despise that. Splitting land will be the death of quality hunting as fast as losing it to development. The true heroes of wildlife management (whether they care or not) are guys who are able to piece tracts together to make larger parcels.

187 acres. Lots of land like that gets split up around here and I don’t like seeing it happen.