All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How old do you think he is?

stevenk03

A good 3 year old buck
MFDC2115.jpg MFDC2133.jpg MFDC2133.jpg

I would guess 3 1/2 but I am not very good at ageing deer.

I think he’s 4 1/2. I think he looks a tad young on the body but that’s because of the camera angle I think if it was lower we could get a better idea from the belly. Stud buck though.

I'd say 3.5 but its hard to say. He just looks to "tall" to be any older plus he doesn't have the mass on the headgear that a older deer should have. I've seen enough over the last 10 years that leave me wondering. Without a bunch of pictures from past years you just cant accurately age deer with any accuracy.

The Hanson buck is 3.5, we had a deer that boasted well over 160 gross inches several years ago as a 2.5 year old. We also had a buck that based off of body traits we believed to be a 4.5, he ended up being 7.5 I have pictures of a deer this year with 3 spikes that if you look at his head and his short body you'd say 1.5 but his belly says 4.5.

If its a deer you would enjoy harvesting I say go for it and send in the teeth to find out. If he doesn't get your heart pounding out of your chest wait till next year to see what happens.

Here he is in july.MFDC3305.JPG

I could see 4 because he towers over the 1 year old in the background even if he is behind him a bit. I've also personally misjudged deer because thier big bodies make the rack look small, particularly if their alone. I kinda get that feeling here. The rack is nice but I think it's nicer than percieved because it's on a large deer.

Would not be hard to convince me he's one heck of a 3 year old with unbelievable potential to become a once in a lifetime buck.

If his chest stops at his head in Novemeber I'd feel comfortable saying 4.5

Based on the on July I'm leaning 4.5. That's a BIG body

Since your in Indiana and he isn't in rut yet, I would say 4 1/2. He is starting to get some belly on him and when the rut starts, his neck will appear that it blends right into his shoulders. He's starting to get some mass to his bases and he definitely has multiple points for an older deer. His body isn't fully developed yet by looking at his long legs. As he ages, his legs will look shorter as he puts on weight and body mass. One more year and he'll be a STUD but you make the call, if he presents a shot.

Camera angle and position make a difference. The original pictures are aiming down and he looks younger but the summer picture is aiming up and he looks older. 4.5.