What do you use to determine who hunts where on your property?

Hoytvectrix

5 year old buck +
I don't think I've seen this talked about on here yet, but I'm curious what others are doing when they have guests come to hunt on their property. How do you determine who gets to hunt where?

I made a chart of which stands can be hunted with what winds. I started doing the order the following way 2 years ago (before it was kids first but they are adults now). First person to choose is the person who has gone the longest without getting a deer, then the second longest and so forth. If a person gets a deer that season, they go to the end of the line and everybody else moves up how ever many spots by how many deer were taken. The person who picked first, has first pic all that season. The following season, the person who picked first last season is now at the end of the line.

The people that hunt my land also have to put in a couple weekend's worth of work to be eligible to hunt the following season. They are family and friends.

I keep it simple…no one gets to!

Kidding but I only have a buddy maybe once a season and it’s late in the year to kill a doe when I’m not worried about the impact.

Last edited:
We give adults with kids the first priority then it goes to the guy who hasn’t gotten a buck the longest (usually me)..my dad is cool and makes sure we all get where we are going since he hunts everyday! We at least talk about what stands would work best/worst depending on the wind, but that sometimes gets ignored by the older generation…we are also located on top of a pretty good sized hill so the wind misbehaves more often than not…we have an overhead map in the basement which we use to educate our friends as to where they will be and where everyone will be in relation to them..let’s them follow the text conversation with some kind of intelligence!

Easy, my wife always gets the first pick!

Typically, the scenario is something like this:

Wife: South wind tonight. Where should I hunt?
Me: The 9, Crossover, 3 Apples or Stand 3
Wife: Which one do you think is best?
Me: You can shoot one at each spot. I think they're all good.
Wife: Which one would you go to?
Me: I'd go to the Crossover stand.
Wife: OK, I'm going to 3 Apples.

That's hilarious and completely believable. Lucky man!

Same over here, gwm. We took off work on Halloween to hunt the cold front and had that exact conversation the evening prior for where she could/should sit in the morning. She went against the recommendation. That morning’s results….
IMG_1475.jpeg
Told her I was done giving her any more tips and she’s on her own from here forward 😂