Hormone/Pheromone Dump

Jerry-B-WI

5 year old buck +
Has anyone ever heard of a hormone/pheromone dump from deer when they've been shot or at the spot where they died? I thought I've read somewhere that this happens and other deer are alert to the area.

Last year I shot a doe on one of my food plots and never got another deer on camera at that plot the rest of November and into December.

Never heard of it.

I can believe it!

I harvested a mature buck I think it was 3.5……man did it reek.

I've watched deer lick the blood off a dead deer. Also seen them poke around on a gut pile. I'd be hard pressed to think a dead deer is what caused your plot to dry up. But weirder things have happened.

I've watched deer lick the blood off a dead deer. Also seen them poke around on a gut pile. I'd be hard pressed to think a dead deer is what caused your plot to dry up. But weirder things have happened.
Me too. Shot a doe one year and several other deer tried to get her to stand back up. Everything from licking to kicking and biting.

One of the ways they say CWD spreads in the wild is through deer eating on an infected carcass. Haven’t seen that myself, but I did have a buck try to get a dead doe to stand up so he could breed her.

“They” = Wisconsin DNR

Im guessing you didn't gut the deer in the area? I gut my deer where I shoot them, mostly.

Coyote cleanup come in hard, that spot is shot for a week.

I got a poor sense of smell, so my opinions are out.

IF you believe in hormone dump, the way an animal might die can come into ply. IF it dies pretty quick, phermone dump might not happen. Like a high lung with spinal cord damage, neck shot.

One of the ways they say CWD spreads in the wild is through deer eating on an infected carcass. Haven’t seen that myself, but I did have a buck try to get a dead doe to stand up so he could breed her.

“They” = Wisconsin DNR
Not to hijack this thread, but I just read this morning that "they" think deer can contract cwd now by eating infected black legged ticks off other deer. I also learned deer ticks have been rebranded as black legged ticks.

I realized I hadn't done any cwd research in a year or more, so I've been checking to see what's new in that world. Boy some of these scientists don't strike me as looking like the most trustworthy people out there.

Not sure about a pherome dump. I do recall hearing in the old days that if you shot a running deer it wouldn't taste as good. Hmm

Im guessing you didn't gut the deer in the area? I gut my deer where I shoot them, mostly.

Coyote cleanup come in hard, that spot is shot for a week.

I got a poor sense of smell, so my opinions are out.

IF you believe in hormone dump, the way an animal might die can come into ply. IF it dies pretty quick, phermone dump might not happen. Like a high lung with spinal cord damage, neck shot.

Deer was gutted within 20 yards of where it died.

Deer was gutted within 20 yards of where it died.

I think that may have more to do with burning out the spit than pheromones.