Habitat projects for the weekend?

75 Nuttall planted 25 tubed before we called it a day. Got home and had 20 apple rootstock in the mail so I grafted them this evening.

Went shed hunting just waiting for my red osier cuttings

Frost seeded MRC, crimson and Dutch white clover into my front field on Friday night then got 10” of snow Saturday..waiting for the snow to melt to start digging some holes for trees..

I want to get a couple soil samples this weekend. I have a couple of log landing areas I want to turn into food plots as soon as the weather starts to cooperate. Still a little snow on the ground where I'm at. Might be gone by Sunday.

First thing I get to do is take apart my furnace and replace the pilot assembly, or it’s gonna be a chilly night.

447a05e6288369e2c99d847c5976b4be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been running the chain saw a couple hours a day the last week. I will probably be doing it this weekend as well.

First thing I get to do is take apart my furnace and replace the pilot assembly, or it’s gonna be a chilly night.

447a05e6288369e2c99d847c5976b4be.jpg

How much snow on the ground up there?

Still too much. I had to punch it and drag the belly of the soob over a drift to get in the yard. Haven’t seen it in the daylight yet.

This is my big tree planting weekend. Boxes have been showing up all last week from a few different nurseries.
I’ve got about forty apple a dozen pear and a dozen persimmons to plant screen and cage.

Planted a little grove of plums and a little grove of hazelnuts yesterday and fenced.
Put in some Indian/ switch/ big bluestem yesterday.
And I’m borrowing my buddies skid loader for a little dirt work early this morning.

Finishing up my coffee then heading out to finish the wife’s greenhouse rebuild, the old one collapsed under 2’ heavy snow load . Then it’s get the chainsaw out and get rid of a few tree that Ive been putting off and if I have the energy after that it will be time to prep a few spots for the shrub order I have coming.

Still too much. I had to punch it and drag the belly of the soob over a drift to get in the yard. Haven’t seen it in the daylight yet.

Ugh!

Long winter for deer up there. 100 miles to the south, they have spread out and have rye cover crops as well as a few kernels of corn in the Foodplot.

Ugh!

Long winter for deer up there. 100 miles to the south, they have spread out and have rye cover crops as well as a few kernels of corn in the Foodplot.

About 100 miles to your east, most areas the sun can get to are mostly melted, snow banks are still 4-5 feet tall, and the woods still has about a foot in most places. I think the next 4 days should put a hurten on the remaining snow.

Just finished digging/augering the last of the 40 holes for my tree screen. Got all but 8 cages made now onto weed mat prep. It’s gonna be a race between our first kiddo’s arrival and when the trees get delivered.

^^^^ You pre dug all the holes before your trees have arrived??? I've read several times to avoid doing this if possible, but I see you have a kid on the way so I understand the thinking.....

Some of the complications I have heard of are:
1. The surrounding soil being dried out...
2. The surround soil become "stiff" (holes baked by the sun)
3. Holes getting filled by water
4. The "spoils" drying out and becoming difficult work with (lumpy) to fill the hole back in
5. Digging too deep or too shallow....

Hopefully you have forgiving soils and you dont get any complications. If your holes dry out and become stiff you may want to think about a real healthy shot of water at planting. Should help rehydrate the holes if they dry out and help get the spoils to settle without air pockets around your rootballs. You REALLY dont want any air pockets. My soils on my land are gumbo clay shit and would be a disaster pre digging them. Where I live in S MN it probably wouldnt be too bad pre digging. Take lots of pictures so you have something to look back at in 5-10 years. You wont regret giving them the premium treatment.

Met a guy yesterday with some land about 40 miles SW of me. He told me a few years ago they put in 7,500 pine trees on some land he owns. Not a single one survived cause the deer ate them all.

Got the greenhouse finished, the trees cut down and 75% cleaned up made the mistake of sitting down for a bite to eat and couldn’t get restarted. It’s hell getting old but while sitting around the brush pile fire a customer pulled in a bought a bunch of honey. So it’s all good. Back at it tomorrow.

Here’s the greenhouse. 1st picture is a stock photo of what it looked like before the collapse and the others are the rebuild

Attachments

• 66A04FF0-032B-42BC-96B7-BD74BB82BD53.png
    66A04FF0-032B-42BC-96B7-BD74BB82BD53.png
    54.6 KB · Views: 16
  • B2492927-1057-44A9-8994-592925F5DCFD.png
    B2492927-1057-44A9-8994-592925F5DCFD.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 64D3EE58-5BAA-45B2-A480-A4B62AA28D22.png
    64D3EE58-5BAA-45B2-A480-A4B62AA28D22.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 16
  • E0AA72F5-402B-40AB-B55E-93DC0135D902.png
    E0AA72F5-402B-40AB-B55E-93DC0135D902.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 17

There's anywhere from 0-12" and about 8" average anywhere you don't want snow, like on trails and plots. And what is there is pretty dense now. This is getting to be a long melt cycle. I don't even know if I'll even see ponding next weekend. Maybe I'll get lucky and hook a 1-2" rain on tuesday.

There's anywhere from 0-12" and about 8" average anywhere you don't want snow, like on trails and plots. And what is there is pretty dense now. This is getting to be a long melt cycle. I don't even know if I'll even see ponding next weekend. Maybe I'll get lucky and hook a 1-2" rain on tuesday.
Starting to feel the call of the northern wild now. About 5 weeks and we will migrate to the Tundra and I hope to hit the ground running. Anxious to see the spring results of last falls planting efforts. 85 and sunny here today on the patio. Patiently waiting for the big thaw....but my cameras still show allot of snow at the Deertopia Proving Grounds. FORE!