Habitat projects for the weekend?

Went to check on my apples and pears this weekend. Expected my pears to have been wiped out by our late frost, but they have a good crop. As of now, it looks like I will have a bumper crop of apples and crabs for the first time. My dunstan chestnuts are in their 2nd year and are looking good as well. Started from seed and are all +/- 6' tall.

Last edited:
It always interests me how much further ahead other regions are. For instance, you already have pollinated fruit. While my trees haven’t even broke silver bud yet. Although the tips are beginning to swell a bit. I would say we are at least a month behind you.

I should have taken pictures but didn't even think about it until I was on my way home. Pears were bigger than the end of my thumb and the apples were about pea size.

I weed matted about a dozen trees yesterday today I had a few apple scions leftover from bench grafting this spring and used them to top work a few limbs on some older trees just for the heck of it two trees died back to the graft anyway and one is a Red Delicious and they just aren’t terribly productive at least for me.

Helped my uncle topwork a wild bird crab over to goldrush. Found some bradford pears we’ll convert at another time.
5f62a18fc258e2e956ad3a5cf15668c7.jpg

cdb1eec4ffc9fa8d28e8477a382fde08.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picking up my Blue Hill trees today. Going to get them in the ground tomorrow. I have 75 norway spruce on the way too. Thought they would've been here by now.
Got the crabapples planted. Would've had some pics but my son ran the battery dead on my phone.

Got the crabapples planted. Would've had some pics but my son ran the battery dead on my phone.
Crab1.jpgRod1.jpgcrab 2.jpgcrab 3.jpg
Planted a Kerr, October Crab, and a Chestnut Crab in the middle of my camp yard plot. I should have drops starting September and lasting through the winter ideally now. Planted some wild dolgo seedlings along the woods plot. We'll see how they end up. It's fairly open where I planted but definitely shaded partially. Not sure if I'll leave them as Dolgo or try to graft them eventually.

Helped my uncle topwork a wild bird crab over to goldrush. Found some bradford pears we’ll convert at another time.
5f62a18fc258e2e956ad3a5cf15668c7.jpg

cdb1eec4ffc9fa8d28e8477a382fde08.jpg

Have you had good luck using electrical tape? I worry the black draws too much heat. I want to blame my failed grafts on it but would also like to know it works because of how easy it is to work with.

Have you had good luck using electrical tape? I worry the black draws too much heat. I want to blame my failed grafts on it but would also like to know it works because of how easy it is to work with.

This is my first year topworking so everything is experimental. Could cover with aluminum foil to reflect light. I do like the price and ease of use of electrical tape. Tried some gorilla tape I had laying around and it’s more difficult to use, more expensive, and also black. Next year I’ll have to try some lighter colored grafting tape and compare results

This weekend I'm digging in a water tank and using a leaf blower to clear travel ways that were cut a few weeks ago!!! I'm excited to get these projects done.

Was planning on doing the bulk of 150 spruce trees, 16 apple trees, and some ROD planting on Saturday but 40s and raining every daylight hour makes that sound pretty terrible. I worry that some soils may be too saturated for spruce planting too..

Currently have a guy in a forestry mulcher mowing down 5+ acres of buckthorn jungle at the house so that is exciting!

I will be planting shrubs this weekend. Yesterday my order from Iowa DNR came in. I have 300 shrubs to plant.

I spent the day today cutting cages for the shrubs. I decided They won’t all get their own privacy cage. I am cutting the cages 8 foot long, and I am putting 2 shrubs in each cage. With the price of fencing now, I figured some cage is better then none.

I also cut up weed barriers for them as well. Tomorrow will be shrub planting day.

My BHS and white cedar trees should be coming from Paint Creek next week, so back at it next week too.

Next year I am not going to order any trees! I promised my wife

I will be planting shrubs this weekend. Yesterday my order from Iowa DNR came in. I have 300 shrubs to plant.

I spent the day today cutting cages for the shrubs. I decided They won’t all get their own privacy cage. I am cutting the cages 8 foot long, and I am putting 2 shrubs in each cage. With the price of fencing now, I figured some cage is better then none.

I also cut up weed barriers for them as well. Tomorrow will be shrub planting day.

My BHS and white cedar trees should be coming from Paint Creek next week, so back at it next week too.

Uh huh

bill

The drought last year has caused me to reduce planting. I had enough of carrying water and all of my easily accessible areas are planted.

I planted three apples this spring and transplanted 4. Enough, except some top works.

Well to be fair, I said I wouldn’t order any more. I have a large patch(hundreds) of spruce trees all in on area that need to be transplanted to other areas.

My brothers land is like a white pine seedling farm on steroids. They pop up all over. I was planning on pulling a bunch of them and planting them at my place, but that may need to wait until next year. I also have about 20 apple trees I would like to put some sort of weed mats around them. I have done all the other apple trees, but these are my oldest ones, and I never put mats on them, and always found other things to do. I started putting mats on about 5 years ago.

I am also hoping with all these shrubs I am planting, and all the cuttings I planted, I can trim some cuttings off of them and try to propagate them that way. So, I really shouldn’t need to order any, but that doesn’t mean I wont be planting any :)

I am installing a new wood boiler this spring, and I have been cutting a bunch of trees, and feather edging my plots. I have been taking out patches of maples, so they will sprout, and cutting out sections of large poplar. Hoping for suckering from the roots.

This is year one of 3 years of shrubs for winter browse, and spruce and pines for thick cover. I can easily skip year 2 of ordering trees, and still work on the same plan for year 2.