Drywall finishing

ksgobbler

5 year old buck +
Working on my basement finish. Drywall is hung. The bid I got for finishing it seemed high. 3444 sq ft of drywall down there. $2225 was the estimate. Is this normal?

Finished as in... mudded and sanded? primed and painted? trim and mouldings? Is the ceiling included?

I don't know fair prices but I know how much I hate sanding mud, and how expensive paint is, and how much ceilings suck...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thats all the sheetrock including ceilings taped, mudded, and sanded. No paint, trim, etc. Our GC lost his finisher so we are getting bids.

Pretty good money would take a good taper a couple days

I think that is probably a reasonable bid. I have no problem hanging rock, but man I hate mudding!! I am too particular (OCD) and it takes me forever, been working on a small project now for 4 months off and on ...... finally going to paint it this weekend!!:emoji_smiley:

We got the flooring bid too. Doing luxury vinyl plank. Labor for 800 sq ft is more than the flooring. For that price I will just buy a little extra and figure it out myself.

The LVP flooring is rather easy to do, do your self a favor, get yourself a nice cutting board, a bunch of sharp blades, and a good cutting tool, and you will thank yourself for it later.

I know what I'm good at and what I have patience enough for... Mudding and finishing drywall isn't one of them.

After the hell I just went through, I'd gladly pay a little extra to get it done by a professional the first time.

Redid the main floor this fall. First guy quoted 2000, waited the month for him to be available then he no showed, hired the next guy that quoted 1300, had to fire him an had to contact the sheriff about safety concerns.

Finally found the man to do the job. Took 2 an half months to finish the project. Glad it is over.

After doing everything else ourselves, (including a half days worth of sanding to fix the second mudders mistakes) I should of just hopped on u tube an took a few lessons an tried it myself.

Learned a vaulable leason along the way.
Don't agree to start a project around the first day of hunting season.

20180929_103629.jpg20180929_141917.jpg20180930_165419.jpg20181215_121556.jpg20181215_184119.jpg

Last edited:
^^^ that looks great!

This guy did work for my inlaws and came highly recommended by other folks. Just realized its actually 3144 sq ft of drywall.

Here is the project so far
20190118_085623.jpg20190118_085630.jpg20190118_085634.jpg20190118_085640.jpg

Looks good ks...

Cost us 7k to do our 1586 sq ft main floor including a remnant on the stairs.
Flooring bid for 800 sq ft finished basement and replacing the stairs carpet with a remnant is 6200. Prices have went up apparently

After looking at your pics ks, id say that was a pretty close/fair estimate. Looks like a decent amount of edging/tape/mud to do.

Im gonna have a second guy people recommend come out monday and bid it. We had figured .55/sq ft on finishing it and this came out .71. Just want to be sure.

We got the flooring bid too. Doing luxury vinyl plank. Labor for 800 sq ft is more than the flooring. For that price I will just buy a little extra and figure it out myself.

We just did our entire cabin in vinyl plank. I did my room, with Luan underlay, in an evening. My sister did the hall, living/dining room, and kitchen without underlay in two or three days by herself. She and my uncle did her room in under three hours. It's extremely easy to work with once you figure it out. Just make sure you read the fine print. We had to put a seam in to keep the run under 32 feet.

Bid price depends on how much you're capable of yourself, how soon you want it completed, and inspection / reviews of his work elsewhere. I've hung sheetrock (using screws) and mudded it, no problem doing that. I can mud screw dimples and inside or outside corners, but I suck at flat joints. Like Turkey Creek, I'm too fussy and getting flat joints feathered out is not my strong suit. I hate sanding - a white powder nightmare - & a mess to clean up. I'll prime & paint all day long - it's the prep that sucks.

I'd pay $2K for that much drywall mudding / sanding. I'll hang the rock. I won't pay anyone to paint.

If a guy takes his time when mudding and doesnt have excessive mud to remove, I have found that I can "wet sand" with a blue sponge (kitchen style, scrubby pad on one side) and a bit of water I use the sponge side for 99% of it. No dust that way.

TC - ^^^^ I've done the sponge "wet sand" before. It is much neater - but I'd still need someone to mud the flat joints. I always end up with too much mud on those and with a wet sponge - I'd have a kindergarten-style mess !!! But you're right about no messy dust with a wet sponge. I'm not good enough with a joint knife to pull it off.

I am in school trying to get a reactor operator license so not much free time. But they are paying me to go so I have money. I hate painting. Wife likes to paint but I would rather drag my balls across a mile of broken glass.