Drywall finishing

^Just cringed a little,
Subconsciously reached for a paint brush...

Last edited:
Wife likes to paint but I would rather drag my balls across a mile of broken glass.

this, x3,254,107,321
Painting is the worst. I hate it, and my wife hates that I would think of being part of it. When we bought our first house, my mom in law came to help paint one day, my wife eagerly suggested maybe I make the 2 hour trek to Cabelas for the day so as to not be in their way. She's a good woman.

My balls do just fine until it's time to sand a flat on the ceiling. That's when the crap hits the fan and progress stops. I can sand a ceiling 10 times and still not have it right.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I guess that is the going rate based on my other bid.

I have rocked, taped and mudded houses in the past. Walls, I dont mind doing, ceilings suck for an older guy with bad shoulders, and a bad neck. Hell it sucks for younger whipper snappers as well! I am planning on doing my own in my garage build, but, taking my time as well.

I've done it. Awful job. And that was after stuffing the insulation up between the joists. Goggles and mask are a must, but it doesn't stop my breath fogging up the goggles and the dust from frosting the outside. Plus the mess on my skin and clothes from sweat and mud dust.

I hate doing ceiling so much that after the first room (in the basement that I'm building) I went out and bought tongue and groove for the rest of the build. It's probably just as time consuming but 1000x's better.

I hate doing ceiling so much that after the first room (in the basement that I'm building) I went out and bought tongue and groove for the rest of the build. It's probably just as time consuming but 1000x's better.

That's what I did last summer, in fact. Cedar tongue and groove. It looks awesome, and it is incredibly easy to install. A bedroom in the 150 sq.ft. range took me a couple hours to do alone after cutting all the boards. With two people it's a breeze.

That's what I did last summer, in fact. Cedar tongue and groove. It looks awesome, and it is incredibly easy to install. A bedroom in the 150 sq.ft. range took me a couple hours to do alone after cutting all the boards. With two people it's a breeze.
Did you put a finish on it?

Im gonna have a second guy people recommend come out monday and bid it. We had figured .55/sq ft on finishing it and this came out .71. Just want to be sure.
With it being a basement, and presumably all 8 ft ceilings, with no special features that require extra work, I would probably bid it at .60. I just do some on the side now and then, and should probably charge more since I care too much about my work quality, and take longer than true professionals.

With it being a basement, and presumably all 8 ft ceilings, with no special features that require extra work, I would probably bid it at .60. I just do some on the side now and then, and should probably charge more since I care too much about my work quality, and take longer than true professionals.
9 ft ceilings down there.

Pics? I'm working with pine, not cedar. Would like to see what it looks like.

20170521_171746.jpg

My camera is poor quality, and there was only ambient light from the windows. We did pine as well. The hallway has a whitewashed pine ceiling, and the lower half of the walls have pine with brown stain. The kitchen/living room has a vaulted ceiling with pine t&g with a caramel brown stain. My cousin did pine with an ageing stain. All of it looks great.

9 ft ceilings down there.

Paying someone with stilts to finish ceiling joints is great if they are good. Having them come back for touch up after priming is an idea. Priming always shows where I missed with the trowel or sander.

I have never done it but I know many who mud and tape imperfectly and then spray on or trowel on a mud finish like popcorn, orange peel, swirls, etc. if you like texture I think that is way less of a problem to get “perfect “

Looks great Telemark!

Telemark, post #26- That's a very accurate description of the crappy environment with mask & goggles. Insulation & sweat just add to the fun. :emoji_angry:

Sister and BIL have a v-groove, t&g pine ceiling finished with clear satin varnish. It's amazing how the wood "mellows" and gets a warmer tone to it over the years. Great look there in yours Telemark.

Thanks, guys! The photos don't really do it justice. Some of the boards have really nice grain, and the wood overall has far more color than the photos shows. My phone is old and crappy, but I hate spending money I don't have to, so I live with it. Maybe I can borrow someone's phone this summer. The cedar looks great after some years. It gets a bit more golden color to it.

I forgot to mention that I didn't install the pine in the vaulted ceiling. The contractor did that.