Decompression

phil@thesidehill

5 year old buck +
I just got into a Facebook p!ssing contest about deer management....I don't even post things on the FB anymore. Pretty much only use it to keep up to date with friends and family that live far away. I rarely post anything...but I saw a pretty outlandish assertion about our Antler Point Restrictions in PA and I just couldn't help it...I got the opposition so heated they had to resort to personal insults because they couldn't hang when it came to actually debating management....I just got so p!ssed my blood pressure went up and I needed to come here and read around...to decompress. At least there is somewhere to go and just read good info about habitat and deer!

I don't even know where you sit on the APR debate, but I can tell you what I've seen in SE MN where we we've had APR's for a few years. Lots of people were against it initially, but now most people like it. I know APR's aren't favored by a lot of people in other areas of MN because they will slightly increase the doe harvest and some areas don't have many extra does to spare. But I will say that will be somewhat countered by a decrease in wounded and lost deer since now the groups that drive and shoot at anything that moves have to change their methods. I spend a fair amount of time hunting small game after the deer seasons and I find fewer lost deer now than before the APR's. It's not a scientific study by any means, but I think the slight increase in doe harvest is countered at least partially by a decrease in wounded deer that are lost because of poor shot selection.

APR's won't offset habitat losses that have really hit hard here recently, but it will increase the percentage of bucks that make it past 1.5 years old. That's just my $0.02.

I just got into a Facebook p!ssing contest about deer management....I don't even post things on the FB anymore. Pretty much only use it to keep up to date with friends and family that live far away. I rarely post anything...but I saw a pretty outlandish assertion about our Antler Point Restrictions in PA and I just couldn't help it...I got the opposition so heated they had to resort to personal insults because they couldn't hang when it came to actually debating management....I just got so p!ssed my blood pressure went up and I needed to come here and read around...to decompress. At least there is somewhere to go and just read good info about habitat and deer!
Well your back among friends here Phil, I think lol We had APR's go through here in MI last year and I seen lots of heated dicussions for and against so now part of the state has them and other parts don't. I am always going to shoot the most mature buck on our property and let the younger ones go but I can't tell you I'm pro APR.

I don't even know where you sit on the APR debate, but I can tell you what I've seen in SE MN where we we've had APR's for a few years. Lots of people were against it initially, but now most people like it. I know APR's aren't favored by a lot of people in other areas of MN because they will slightly increase the doe harvest and some areas don't have many extra does to spare. But I will say that will be somewhat countered by a decrease in wounded and lost deer since now the groups that drive and shoot at anything that moves have to change their methods. I spend a fair amount of time hunting small game after the deer seasons and I find fewer lost deer now than before the APR's. It's not a scientific study by any means, but I think the slight increase in doe harvest is countered at least partially by a decrease in wounded deer that are lost because of poor shot selection.

APR's won't offset habitat losses that have really hit hard here recently, but it will increase the percentage of bucks that make it past 1.5 years old. That's just my $0.02.
Yeah .....I'm gonna just stay out of the APR opinions for this posts sake. I just wanted to breath a sigh of relief after wasting an hour of my life.
Interesting observation about the decrease in wounded and unrecovered deer. Here in PA we have lots of driving going on. I shed hunt very hard so I'm out on private and public lands after seasons close. I haven't noticed a big difference in obvious unrecovered hunter killed deer. Basically the drivers have shifted the focus toward antlerless rather bucks so they don't have worry about mistake kills. When our APRs went into effect doe tag allocations were also dramatically increased and our antlerless seasons were increased so the harvest pressure was redistributed.

Well your back among friends here Phil, I think lol We had APR's go through here in MI last year and I seen lots of heated dicussions for and against so now part of the state has them and other parts don't. I am always going to shoot the most mature buck on our property and let the younger ones go but I can't tell you I'm pro APR.
Yup! I like the way your thinking about it.

Nuff said! I really don't want this to go the APR debate route....not saying you were going that route...just want to reinforce that concept.

I left facebook two years ago and haven't gone back. Every so often I will get an update from friends about some whacky stuff they saw on there. I too worried about being able to stay in touch with the people I wanted to. What ended up happening in my world is that everyone I wanted to keep tabs on quit posting for the same reason I quit posting; nothing of value on the site anymore. Two years sober from that biz and I haven't lost track of my peeps.

My solution: I'm still on FB, but I hide people when I get sick of their antics. I can still contact those I want to contact, and follow those I want to follow, but my news feed contains little garbage. :)

I left facebook two years ago and haven't gone back. Every so often I will get an update from friends about some whacky stuff they saw on there. I too worried about being able to stay in touch with the people I wanted to. What ended up happening in my world is that everyone I wanted to keep tabs on quit posting for the same reason I quit posting; nothing of value on the site anymore. Two years sober from that biz and I haven't lost track of my peeps.
That is a good way of doing it SD. But for me, as of now, the FB still has more benefits than not. It isnt so much the FB as the other people using it. Like jeff said those people can be paired down over time. I just have to go back to not really posting anything. I just like to scroll my newsfeed and see friends and family that i dont otherwise see. I also belong to some groups on FB that are truly amazing and keep me up to date on some things that I take interest in.

What is facebook?

What is facebook?
Seriously? My parents have a bunch of them. It is like a binder that keeps all your Polaroids so you can see them. My kids love looking through them to see daddy when he was their age. I thought everyone had face books.

Seriously? My parents have a bunch of them. It is like a binder that keeps all your Polaroids so you can see them. My kids love looking through them to see daddy when he was their age. I thought everyone had face books.

LOL!!! I am not even going to ask you what you think a "selfie" is ... :)

about 8-10 yrs ago, I'm up in N Alberta, hunting with my N Alberta buddies. These guys' lives are so much more "manly" than anyone I know from the states. Living in 4 man wall tents in logging camps during -30 temps, getting stranded and having to walk 20-30 miles to get back to civilization. Not blinking an eye at having to pack moose 5-10 miles to the argos. All sorts of stuff like that.

So, there's me and 6 of these guys at a bar after I killed a 150" velvet 10. I come out of the bathroom and they're all worked up. This is going to be interesting, I thought...Until I realized that they were all bent because someone posted something on Facebook that one of them was offended by. I knew right then and there that I'd NEVER have a Facebook account. I also told them to stop acting like a bunch of HS girls. As I said, they are buddies. If not, they'd have beaten me senseless for that comment...But they were all upset because so and so wrote something on Facebook. I truly believe Facebook is the source of nothing good. It's a time waster and problem starter.

My wife and I have a Facebook account that we "share". We have one friend, it is our oldest daughter, and the only reason we even have it is to get daily pictures of the granddaughters. We have ignored every other "friend request" that has been sent to us and have no intention of "friending" anyone else, anytime soon. We do not even have our youngest daughter nor either of our brothers as Facebook friends. Our one and only post says "We only have this Facebook account to get pictures of our grandbabies so don't bother sending any friend requests." Apparently people can't read.