Burning and mature trees?

Catscratch

5 year old buck +
Got some forest I want to burn. I believe fire is an amazing management tool and have burned pasture somewhat often. But.... I'm worried about burning this bluff full of mature oak trees. There's evidence of damage from a previous fire and I don't want to finish any of them off. The previous fire was a pasture fire that got away from them. It got pretty hot and the fire department had trouble controlling it.

The question; can it be burned if conditions are right so that the trees won't be harmed, or will I have to rake and remove litter around the trees I want to protect? Protecting every tree would be quite the undertaking.

I think you have to break some eggs to make an omelette. You may lose a couple but the end result will be beneficial imo. With that said I would have to think a dormant season fire would be a lot safer due to the sap being located in the root system and not in the cambium. You won’t boil the sap if it gets too hot. I would think most of the oaks in your neck of the woods are pretty fire adaptive consider fire is/was a way of live there. Post pics when you let it rip!

You can do it. Lots of little techniques to minimize damage. I just went through the woodland prescribed fire workshop put on by the KS Forest Service. Not sure I can do it justice by trying to break it all down for you here. Might be better for a phone conversation. Anything above 140 degrees in the cambium layer of the trunk for more than a very brief time will kill the tree. It doesnt matter the time of the year on the burn.

You can do it. Lots of little techniques to minimize damage. I just went through the woodland prescribed fire workshop put on by the KS Forest Service. Not sure I can do it justice by trying to break it all down for you here. Might be better for a phone conversation. Anything above 140 degrees in the cambium layer of the trunk for more than a very brief time will kill the tree. It doesnt matter the time of the year on the burn.
Lol, maybe you need to hand deliver some trees down south and do some hands on practice with your new skills.

Curious, how did you take your workshop? Was it worth the effort?

Scars from the previous fire. Hard to find a burr or pin oak that doesn't have signs. Chinkapins don't seem to have much damage.
20231227_141001.jpg20231227_141025.jpg

Burn it in small chunks? If it's open enough to make fire breaks in among it, I may try that. I'd also try to get some burned ahead of morel season this spring.

Burn it in small chunks? If it's open enough to make fire breaks in among it, I may try that. I'd also try to get some burned ahead of morel season this spring.
Good idea! I'm sure I'd do some small test chunks before trying the big burn. I'm cautious when it comes to fire.

Lol, maybe you need to hand deliver some trees down south and do some hands on practice with your new skills.

Curious, how did you take your workshop? Was it worth the effort?
It was offered through the KS Forest Service I think they offered it in a couple of locations, maybe more. It was a day long workshop, 3 to 4 hours of covering material in class and then we were supposed to burn in the afternoon. We didnt get to actually burn though as weather conditions were not favorable. We toured a previously burned area to look at the results and how some of the techniques had been implemented. If you are going to burn in woodlands I think it was well worth the day I devoted to it. I would assume that maybe they will offer it again in the coming year.

If I had the time to spare I would be in for a burn. I love to burn!

It was offered through the KS Forest Service I think they offered it in a couple of locations, maybe more. It was a day long workshop, 3 to 4 hours of covering material in class and then we were supposed to burn in the afternoon. We didnt get to actually burn though as weather conditions were not favorable. We toured a previously burned area to look at the results and how some of the techniques had been implemented. If you are going to burn in woodlands I think it was well worth the day I devoted to it. I would assume that maybe they will offer it again in the coming year.

If I had the time to spare I would be in for a burn. I love to burn!
I was joking about you coming down to do a burn. That'd be quite the undertaking but thanks.
I'll do a forestry search and see if I can come up with a workshop date. More knowledge and training is never a bad thing!

That must have been a hot fire! Bur oaks are supposed to be the most fire resistant of all oaks due to their thick bark.

That must have been a hot fire! Bur oaks are supposed to be the most fire resistant of all oaks due to their thick bark.
Yes, I think was a hot one!

Bur oak savannas managed by large herbivores and fire comes to mind...

I was joking about you coming down to do a burn. That'd be quite the undertaking but thanks.
I'll do a forestry search and see if I can come up with a workshop date. More knowledge and training is never a bad thing!
I knew you were joking but if I had the time I would be in!

I would think a Blackburn would be your friend. Like the entire way, not just for a firebreak. That should be a nice cool fire and be very controllable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea! I'm sure I'd do some small test chunks before trying the big burn. I'm cautious when it comes to fire.
........because its not fun when they get away from you

Ask me how I know

bill