KS guys I hope we get through this year without destroying the KDWP and our deer herds

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
Geez all the piss poor proposals this year. Apparently some people are willing to destroy everything if it only benefits their bottom dollar. Article that just appeared in the Topeka paper and re-run by MSN. These proposals are all BS, we can leave the discussion aside about whether KDWP utilizes every dollar efficiently, that is not where I am coming from. These proposals are absolutely ridiculous from a wildlife management perspective.

Geez all the piss poor proposals this year. Apparently some people are willing to destroy everything if it only benefits their bottom dollar. Article that just appeared in the Topeka paper and re-run by MSN. These proposals are all BS, we can leave the discussion aside about whether KDWP utilizes every dollar efficiently, that is not where I am coming from. These proposals are absolutely ridiculous from a wildlife management perspective.

Ken Corbet is a self-serving clown. He doesn't care about hunting, wildlife, traditions, etc... He cares about money. As they all do... We are dead in the water, boys. Its about to all come crashing down...

Here's a quote from another forum that's been discussing this. Corbet has been reported for conflict of interest and Rep Carlin is pursuing it.
Her email is below if interested;

"Rep Carlin has drafted a conflict of interest bill and introduced it in the elections committee. She is requesting support if people can show up to be there for the hearing and also is wanting anyone who agrees to testify on the bill in person or in writing. I've asked her for the bill number and will share it here. Sounds like this is a great chance to prevent these guys from drafting bills every year in attempts to help nonresidents and themselves and hurt the KDWP."
sydcar44@gmail.com

She isn't our rep, but she is right next door. I am very skeptical of politicians, but I have talked with her several times for work and she seems more up front than most. Ken Corbet owns Ravenwood Lodge. No wonder he would want to do everything in his power to help his client base. Screw the common resident......

Lowering NR license fees seems weird. The license fee is already cheap compared to other Midwest states.
Letting resident landowners sell tags is a slippery slope it would seem..

What you've got going on down there doesn't sound good, I wish you luck pushing back against it but might be tough in these partisan dominated times. Doesn't take much for a dude with an R by his name to say "government wasted tax dollars, economic benefits, freedom" and get people to support without much thought.

Seems odd that a Kansas is taking measures to protect the turkey flock - yet throw the deer to the wolves.

Lowering NR license fees seems weird. The license fee is already cheap compared to other Midwest states.
Letting resident landowners sell tags is a slippery slope it would seem..

Lowering NR license fees? Funny how they are about the only state considering such a thing. Everyone else is going the other direction. A NR special Elk license in WY is $2k starting this year, i paid $1200 for it last year..

Corbet and Bloom want to push rifle season up a week or two, increase NR tags, and have land owner transferable tags. Each of these measures would help their business but hurt the quality of KS bucks and resident hunting. They sincerely don't care about the people they represent, only their own pocketbooks. I'm naturally hesitant to make such statements but their actions lead to no other options. Imagine how many mature bucks would get shot in just the first year on our wide open plains if rifle season was moved back into the rut. We've already slid downhill a lot from what we were, it would only get worse.

Corbet and Bloom want to push rifle season up a week or two, increase NR tags, and have land owner transferable tags. Each of these measures would help their business but hurt the quality of KS bucks and resident hunting. They sincerely don't care about the people they represent, only their own pocketbooks. I'm naturally hesitant to make such statements but their actions lead to no other options. Imagine how many mature bucks would get shot in just the first year on our wide open plains if rifle season was moved back into the rut. We've already slid downhill a lot from what we were, it would only get worse.

I can hear the "only greedy trophy hunters worry about that" and "more opportunity for hunters is a good thing" retorts already.

What's worse than wildlife agencies making hunting management decisions? Legislature making the decisions..

Participation trophy hunting. Started with bait, then to crossbows and now whatever else they can erode.

Does Kansas have a skip sligh type guy? He’s been great for Iowa. Wish he lived in Kentucky

Participation trophy hunting. Started with bait, then to crossbows and now whatever else they can erode.

Does Kansas have a skip sligh type guy? He’s been great for Iowa. Wish he lived in Kentucky
Skip bought a farm in Kansas. I know that .

Need to get Skip to buy 1 in IL! He's a rare breed for sure, but I'm sure each state has a guy who could try to be an ambassador like him. He's more the gracious than most, is the problem for the rest of us! IL could use a guy like Potts or Higgins, with their big followings, to help fight the good fight. Maybe they do, I'm not sure.

Need to get Skip to buy 1 in IL! He's a rare breed for sure, but I'm sure each state has a guy who could try to be an ambassador like him. He's more the gracious than most, is the problem for the rest of us! IL could use a guy like Potts or Higgins, with their big followings, to help fight the good fight. Maybe they do, I'm not sure.
I listened to a podcast with higgins and it sounded like he use to be very involved in trying to influence legislation. Sounds like he found it to be pissing up a rope and pretty well gave it up.

Had a Game Warden tell me (35 yrs ago and family friend) to buy land, that KS would eventually open up the borders to NR's and that locals that didn't own wouldn't be able to compete with the rest of the country. Said that after that regulations would change that would not protect the mature age classes of buck. Damn if he didn't nail it!

I listened to a podcast with higgins and it sounded like he use to be very involved in trying to influence legislation. Sounds like he found it to be pissing up a rope and pretty well gave it up.
It doesn't seem he has the temperament to be successful in a room filled with bureaucrats.